Hey Oregonians, where do you get insurance?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Synapse
I'm New!

Hey Oregonians, where do you get insurance?

Post by Synapse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Title says it all. Looking for motorhome coverage for the bus (78 adventurewagen). Moved to Oregon and went to update my policy but was informed that I was being dropped by Progressive as they will no longer provide motorhome coverage unless there is a hard plumbed toilet. I really want to keep motorhome insurance as opposed to regular car insurance as I like having the additional coverage when at camp.
Thanks

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Hey Oregonians, where do you get insurance?

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:22 am

Synapse wrote:Title says it all. Looking for motorhome coverage for the bus (78 adventurewagen). Moved to Oregon and went to update my policy but was informed that I was being dropped by Progressive as they will no longer provide motorhome coverage unless there is a hard plumbed toilet. I really want to keep motorhome insurance as opposed to regular car insurance as I like having the additional coverage when at camp.
Thanks
What is the risk at your campsite that you are trying to cover?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 am

I'm insured through State Farm as an RV. Not sure what extra coverage if any I have at a camp site. $24/month.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Synapse
I'm New!

Post by Synapse » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 am

My progressive RV insurance had all sorts of additional coverage that auto policies didn't and was much cheaper. The main concern however, is liability for personal injury at camp. I rent and do not have a homeowners policy which may cover personal liability. I have good renters insurance through USAA and spoke to them over the phone at length about this issue but they will not cover a personal liability claim on a mobile structure.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insuran ... rance.aspx

http://www.progressive.com/rv/rv-coverages/

http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RVAme ... fault.aspx

http://www.rvusa.com/forum/vbulletin/sh ... =liability

Synapse
I'm New!

Post by Synapse » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:52 pm

For anyone that might care or runs into the same problem in the future: I ended up with National General. I tried several of the other large nationals and two local agents first. One told me it was not worth the $12.50 they would get in commission to write a policy and directed me elsewhere. One actually recommended I lie and tell her that there was indeed a fully plumbed toilet. The rest indicated that I was too converted for an auto policy and not converted enough for an RV policy. In the end, National General was happy to insure me and I was able to get the camp liability I wanted.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:38 am

Synapse wrote:For anyone that might care or runs into the same problem in the future: I ended up with National General. I tried several of the other large nationals and two local agents first. One told me it was not worth the $12.50 they would get in commission to write a policy and directed me elsewhere. One actually recommended I lie and tell her that there was indeed a fully plumbed toilet. The rest indicated that I was too converted for an auto policy and not converted enough for an RV policy. In the end, National General was happy to insure me and I was able to get the camp liability I wanted.
We need to hook up at the Lucky Lab when I am in Portland. How's your dad's Porsche?
Colin

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 am

Mine's on an auto policy; I don't know that mine currently qualifies for RV coverage (sink & icebox, no built-in stove no toilet), and I'm not sure an RV policy would allow me to continue using it as my daily-driver...

Whereabouts in Oregon did you land?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Synapse
I'm New!

Post by Synapse » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:We need to hook up at the Lucky Lab when I am in Portland. How's your dad's Porsche?
Colin
That would be great. Unfortunately, there's really nothing to report on the Porsche since you last saw it. It would be nice to have another itinerant visit but I don't think I'll be able to hire your services when your out this way as the lease at my rental forbids any automotive maintenance including oil changes. Maybe an itinerant visit on BLM land out in the desert someplace.
tristessa wrote:Mine's on an auto policy; I don't know that mine currently qualifies for RV coverage (sink & icebox, no built-in stove no toilet), and I'm not sure an RV policy would allow me to continue using it as my daily-driver...

Whereabouts in Oregon did you land?
National didn't forbid me from driving to work but wanted to make sure I had another primary vehicle and asked how many days a year I planned on driving it.

We landed in Bend. Happy to be here and glad the sun is out again.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:27 am

Synapse wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: A) We need to hook up at the Lucky Lab when I am in Portland.
Colin
A) That would be great.

It would be nice to have another itinerant visit but I don't think I'll be able to hire your services when your out this way as the lease at my rental forbids any automotive maintenance including oil changes.
Portland? We gots peeps who'll put us up, who'll put up with us . . . unless I piss every last one of them off.
Colin