not a new years resolution...

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

not a new years resolution...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:46 pm

The whole fam joined weight watchers on Tuesday. All three of us are overweight, but the impetus was my teenage daughter; we were really concerned about all of the health issues she can and most likely would face; diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, etc. etc. Now before all you haters out there start spouting off about body image and adolescence, and how dare we, etc. Totally not the case, she's always had bad eating habits, and since she got her license and became mobile, fast food entered the picture much more frequently and put on an additional 30 lbs in the last 3-4 mos. She was on the cusp of being morbidly obese.

We figured she was much more likely to succeed if we all did it as a family, and heck, I know I need to lose 30 lbs anyways. Although WW says my ideal weight s/be 136 lbs, to which I say :bootyshake: . I haven't weighed that since college! Heck, 6 years ago when I was running 8 miles 3x a week and lifting weights 2x, ran a 1/2 marathon and was probably in the best overall shape i've ever been I weighed 140-145. If i can get down to the 150-155 range I will be happy. Toughest part for me will be giving up the beer and the bourbon.

i dig the on line points tracker ... makes it easy. Nice thing about WW is you don't need to go hungry.

Wife and daughter are doing the meeting thing, I travel a lot so am doing it on line. Actually looking fwd to it, today was my first day. Hopefully by summer I will be rid of my 'shed'.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: not a new years resolution...

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:The whole fam joined weight watchers on Tuesday.
Excellent and congratulations and good luck!
TrollFromDownBelow wrote: WW says my ideal weight s/be 136 lbs,
best overall shape i've ever been I weighed 140-145.
If i can get down to the 150-155 range I will be happy.
Well Mike, your numbers and mine are just about the same. (I am 5'7")
The last time I was 139 was September 2002
Best overall shape was 145 in 2005
I am now a doddlingly portly 165, and I could seriously benefit from getting back down to 150.
So, let's talk time frame and what the "loser" wins . . . :thumbleft:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Also fighting this battle ~ topped out around 225 or so, and started exercising. I have a hard time giving up coke and bad food, so I focus on limiting amounts, and exercising (2 hours on the bike this morning ~ glorious morning sun on the east side of Bommer Canyon in the morning) a good deal.

at 18, when I raced seriously, I weighed in at 156 and 6' 1". Won't be seeing that again, but I'm shooting for 175, with a bit of muscle (my doc suggested lifting weights to help with testosterone since apparently as I get older, my T production is going down...)

We'll see how I do by the time Colin gets here. Maybe some side by side comparison pictures.

Good luck with all your family ~ definitely deal with it now, and make eating healthier and exercising a lifestyle choice. It's easier that way.

Best,

Michael L

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm

After less than two weeks on WW I'm down nearly 10 lbs, which really surprised me. I've really only tried to 'diet' once before (last year) and it took me two months to get to the same place. Basically on WW, you can eat all the fruit an veggies you want, but stay away from carbs and fat. I've only been exercising about 2x a week, which really isn't enough.

Lanval - I wasn't aware that exercise increased testosterone levels...but it totally makes sense to me.

Colin - I like Lanval's idea - How 'bout we shoot for the next time you are in MI for your itinerant tour for us to be at our target weights?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:52 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:After less than two weeks on WW I'm down nearly 10 lbs, which really surprised me. I've really only tried to 'diet' once before (last year) and it took me two months to get to the same place. Basically on WW, you can eat all the fruit an veggies you want, but stay away from carbs and fat. I've only been exercising about 2x a week, which really isn't enough.

Lanval - I wasn't aware that exercise increased testosterone levels...but it totally makes sense to me.

Colin - I like Lanval's idea - How 'bout we shoot for the next time you are in MI for your itinerant tour for us to be at our target weights?
I have to lose 15 pounds by Michigan????????
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 pm

i have to lose 23 lbs. by Michigan :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 am

Totally forgot about this until Colin mentioned it when I was with him and hippiewannabe last night. I did hit 150.0 on the family scale about two weeks ago, although after last nights orgy of food and good beer, my belt is telling me i'm about 152 right now. :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Totally forgot about this until Colin mentioned it when I was with him and hippiewannabe last night. I did hit 150.0 on the family scale about two weeks ago, although after last nights orgy of food and good beer, my belt is telling me i'm about 152 right now. :flower:

I did not forget. How could I forget when every morning I have to heave over to tie my shoes without passing out from a belly blob compression of my diaphragm? I am still a portly 156 as of this morning at the miniature golf course picnic table which means I have only lost 9 pounds so far. I have also been terribly negligent in my exercises ever since I lost that glorious low humidity out west.

You are looking good, which is a motivation for me to get back on it dammit.
Whiner-I-Am
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:58 am