Incoming storm

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Incoming storm

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 am

Randy in Maine wrote:I am building this new stand to improve the saw dust control measure. Always fighting saw dust.

I just have a little 1.5 HP Delta dust collector that I mounted on the wall with a bunch of 4" PVC that goes around the room to all of the machines.
Ok, let's see some pictures of what you make in your shop!
Here is a picture of what I just installed.
Attachments
DSCN0310.jpg
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:55 am

Well it is about 10 AM here and everything is pretty much OK. We have had about 30" of pretty light snow thus far and it is still pretty windy with a good 40 mph steady wind and gusts to about 60. Still about 15º. I have not ventured outside to do any clean up and won't likely do so until late this PM or even tomorrow. The news says to expect another 8" or so and it is pointless to do so with the wind.

At least I have someplace to put the snow, I am not sure just what they do in the big cities. It must be a nightmare.

High tide is coming up about 10 AM and again 10 tonight and is supposed to be about 5' higher (due to the astronomical + storm surge) than the normal 10 feet. 20 foot seas out there. I have it pretty good here as I am about 3000' back from the beach in the woods and about 18' of elevation.

A good steady cold wind is really a useful tool in determining just where your house leaks air. Mine is pretty good but I am going around it making notes.
79 VW Bus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:53 am

20' seas? yikes! 30" of light snow is still a lot to shovel...time to stoke up the wood stove and read a book
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Bleyseng wrote: 30" of light snow is still a lot to shovel...time to stoke up the wood stove and read a book
Ha!

a) shovel the front walk
b) shovel the side walk
c) shovel the veranda to the wood pile
d) shovel the path to the ash dump
e) shovel the driveway
f) shovel the back driveway to the Lexus
g) stack wet wood next to stove
h) stack dry wood in hoop
i) add water to the kettle (house humidifier system)
j) empty ash bucket
k) feed cat
l) fix gate where shovel ripped latch plank free
m) shovel the front walk
n) shovel the side walk
o) shovel the veranda to the wood pile
p) shovel the path the ash dump
q) shovel the driveway
r) shovel the back driveway to the Lexus
s) feed cat
t) work at drawing board
u) fix lamp cord
v) shovel the front walk
w) whovel the side salk
x) zzzz take a nap
y) wake up in the morning
z) repeat (see if you can get the gate fixed right this time)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 am

That is the AtoZ of reasons of why I don't like cold snowy winters anymore! The only part I like is the feel of wood stove heat and reading a book with a cup of coffee.
We had a Chinese New Year Salsa party last night under the stars with 75 F weather. It was almost cold but the rum was excellent.
I think Colin should try wintering down here sometime.....
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Bleyseng wrote:That is the AtoZ of reasons of why I don't like cold snowy winters anymore! The only part I like is the feel of wood stove heat and reading a book with a cup of coffee.
We had a Chinese New Year Salsa party last night under the stars with 75 F weather. It was almost cold but the rum was excellent.
I think you might be right. I have never had so many dry skin finger splits, feel just like paper cuts . . .
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I have never had so many dry skin finger splits, feel just like paper cuts . . .
Colin

Dahling, you need to use your moisturizer. Just ask us Canadians. Dry winter skin R us.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 pm

glasseye wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I have never had so many dry skin finger splits, feel just like paper cuts . . .
Colin

Dahling, you need to use your moisturizer. Just ask us Canadians. Dry winter skin R us.
I have been using cow udder cream, glasseye! But unlike Chloe, I keep washing things and stacking wood and washing things and stacking wood, and we are at 3% humidity in this house even with the wood stove kettle at "full blast". My thumb looks like Martian canals.
Colinwaaaawaaaaa

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Amskeptic wrote:My thumb looks like Martian canals.
Colinwaaaawaaaaa

Baby don't I know what that looks like! Maybe looks like Afghanistan too!

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:That is the AtoZ of reasons of why I don't like cold snowy winters anymore! The only part I like is the feel of wood stove heat and reading a book with a cup of coffee.
I think you might be right. I have never had so many dry skin finger splits, feel just like paper cuts . . .
Colin
Bag Balm is the cats meow. Rub it all over your hands and then put on latex gloves and leave em on. I use to work outside (construction) and this was the cure we all used.
My cure now is to live in the winter in a hot humid weather so my skin is soft and smooth from sweating all the time. Fresh fruit eaten everyday helps too I think. I watched this storm from afar and a pity you guys. Snow is nice in small amounts but 24" is just awful to deal with.
Geoff

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 am

I use Neutrogena hand cream. The best in my opinion.

We got another 3" yesterday, but 3" doesn't even get my heart beating.

Everything is pretty much under control up here. The snowblower was working hard, but better it than me. Tough when the blow shute is below the snow bank level, but that is a pretty rare event. Supposed to get up to about 44º here today.
79 VW Bus

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 am

Randy in Maine wrote:I use Neutrogena hand cream. The best in my opinion.

We got another 3" yesterday, but 3" doesn't even get my heart beating.

Everything is pretty much under control up here. The snowblower was working hard, but better it than me. Tough when the blow shute is below the snow bank level, but that is a pretty rare event. Supposed to get up to about 44º here today.
Nice that the worst is over I'm sure!

Did you lose power for any extended periods?
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

We have had no loss of power, phone or internet since I bought the generator (that has never been used) prior to Superstorm Sandy. It was so cold during this storm that the snow was actually pretty light and did not stick on the trees.

We have big 150 year old pine trees about 60-80 feet tall that could squish my house like a bug if they wanted to. Survived the impressive winds though.

Central Maine Power (my utility here) has had a pretty aggressive tree and branch removal operation ever since we had a big ice storm in 1997 that took most of Maine out for a couple of weeks (although I only lost power for about 10 minutes in that one).

I have heat even with no power though (via a fake woodstove that runs on propane)
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:We have had no loss of power, phone or internet since I bought the generator (that has never been used) prior to Superstorm Sandy. It was so cold during this storm that the snow was actually pretty light and did not stick on the trees.

We have big 150 year old pine trees about 60-80 feet tall that could squish my house like a bug if they wanted to. Survived the impressive winds though.

Central Maine Power (my utility here) has had a pretty aggressive tree and branch removal operation ever since we had a big ice storm in 1997 that took most of Maine out for a couple of weeks (although I only lost power for about 10 minutes in that one).

I have heat even with no power though (via a fake woodstove that runs on propane)
Waaaay back in 1973, by cracky, we had an ice storm in Connecticut that took out the power for a week. That is when I learned exactly how they did it in 1742 when our house was built. There were three stone fireplaces around the central chimney stack on the first floor, (one in the living room of the 1720 wing), and one upstairs in the study. We had them all going and it was a nice 70* in the Keeping Room, but barely above freezing in the bedrooms. There was a big boom in the Keeping Room fireplace, so we did kettles of soup with bread in the dutch oven to the side. Bread, soup, carrying a lot of wood, scurrying under the ccovers fully dressed, and too much time with the whole lovin' family huddled around the fireplaces under candlelit sconces.
Colin

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Neat house. I like the old pictures.

I swear by this stuff. Put it on when you go to bed and wake up with soft hands.

1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto