Hurricane Sandy

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 pm

As some of you know, I live here at the beach in this "Chataqua by the Sea" community, http://www.oceanpark.org. An intersting community from the 1890's here at the coast of Maine. I am at elevation 20 feet above sea level about 1/3 of a mile from the ocean about 20 miles south of Portland. I was here in "the Perfect Storm" on October 31, 1991 and it was a serious blow.

Everyone around me is a retired Baptist minister, although they tolerate me well as not only do I own tools to lend out, but I also own a pick up truck for transfer station runs when needed.

Well today I went out and bought a 3500 watt generator for $340 in preperation for the upcoming storm. I don't even need one, but my 3 neigbors here are all retired, all live out of state, and all have sump pumps. They REALLY worry alot about losing power and keeping their basesments dry that holds their heating systems along with the other stuff. The storm action is likely to hit here about Tuesday or Wednesday with high winds and lots of rain. Tremendous potential for a significant long term power loss. I will spend part of the weekend cleaning out their gutters and making sure their homes as are secure as is humanly possible. It is kind of what we do around here in Maine, helping out our neighbors, even when they are not around. I have keys to everyone's house as I am sort of the "responsible party" here it seems. They know little about my past. That works for all of us.

Randy will keep the new generator in his new very secure heated garage, next to his serious meat snowblower, and hopefully it will be rarely be needed. I figure if you don't use them much, they last longer.

Cross your fngers for me when you watch the Weather Channel.
79 VW Bus

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Randy - you are a good man. Keep safe!!!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 am

Randy in Maine wrote:As some of you know, I live here at the beach in this "Chataqua by the Sea" community, http://www.oceanpark.org. An intersting community from the 1890's here at the coast of Maine. I am at elevation 20 feet above sea level about 1/3 of a mile from the ocean about 20 miles south of Portland. I was here in "the Perfect Storm" on October 31, 1991 and it was a serious blow.
You are a good neighbor Randy. I will be in Ft. Dix on the 5th, I wonder what it will look like then?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 am

I've already been watching The Weather Channel with interest in all of this. I hope you are spared and things die down. Stay safe.

Your neighbors are lucky to have you. =D>
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 am

Very nice of you! Small towns are great.

Now you have me intrigued about your past. :compress:

Best of luck to you and your neighbors.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 am

Say take some pictures, and let us know how it is going. We have a cold front coming through Georgia that is pushing that storm away from us down South.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

vwbuff
Getting Hooked!

Post by vwbuff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Randy,
It sounds like a major one, we are watching it here in NS.I think you
will be sending the leftovers to us.
Generator is a good thing to have as it can save you a long of discomfort
on a power outage, we always have ours ready.

Wayne
Nova Scotia
77 Riviera 2.0L FI Boston Bob
71 Ghia

vintage vdubbers

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:09 pm

For the record we always send out "leftovers" to you in NS. One of my favorite places you know.

My spousal unit is actually going to be in NB during the storm (planning for a joint US-CDN Coast gualrd oil spill training thing of some sort).
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Randy in Maine wrote: They know little about my past. That works for all of us.
Randy, you haven't told anyone else about your career as a plaid sports coated lounge singer/stand-up comedian at that Howard Johnsons motel restaurant/bar/bric-brac shop? It is a respectable profession to try to bring a smile to tired travelling salesmen and their pick-up dates.
Colin :alien:
(p.s. good luck with your storm date)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Good luck there.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 am

Today they're closing down Manhattan! Never heard of such a thing. All the bridges and tunnels.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Well so far we are doing OK. As you know, Sandy made landfall down in NJ about 350 miles south of here. They are getting beat up pretty good down there from NC to MA with storm surges and 90 mph wind. Once again I am glad I don't live in NYC. I have seen some pretty big storms and hurricanes over the years and this might be one of the biggest.

We are doing better up here, with only a steady 40 mph wind (with 65 mph gusts later tonight) and have not lost our power. I spent the weekend getting all my stuff done and everything put away. We all helped out our neighbors get their stuff all secured as best we could. Most everyone has left for the winter here anyway, so those cottages were all pretty much put away and secured anyway. I expect to see some coastal flooding and beach erosion near the water, but we should be OK back where I am. Perhaps a few unlucky houses will get "washed in" when the sand dunes they are built on go away. It happens.

Not much rain thus far, but we may see 5" or better by Thursday night.

A number of small branches down, but none of the 80-100 foot tall pine trees all around me. They could squash me like a bug.

I fired up the new generator on Saturday and it is suprisingly quiet. $319 at Cabellas well spent. My neighbors were pleased with my purchase and we cleaned all of their gutters out with the power washer.

My house is actually pretty tight and well built with a fairly recent new pretty good quality roof and good windows. I can hear the wind roaring and the ocean churning when I go outside, but inside it is warm and cozy. The new garage is even tighter and cozier (still holding 62º, I still have not turned on the radiant floor heat) and the stucturally insulated panels were a pretty good choice since the walls are about 10" thick. Wicked strong too.

Well the wind just picked up the windspeed, so I shall go.
79 VW Bus

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Hang in there Randy! Hopefully your bus is nice and safe with you in your cozy garage.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 am

Well it seems to be over for us. We never even lost power and the winds are now calm. It must be getting exciting in PA about now.....

The ocean is still pretty noisey though....I will have to go down there and have a look.
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 am

Sounds good.
A VW friend of mine got called up by FEMA. He's heading that way to do damage inspections. Originally, the goofy FEMA contractor he works for was going to send them all out to weather the storm so they would be set up early. Sounds dumb to me. All the filights were cancelled anyway, so now they want them there by Friday noon.