Autumn Colors WI 2012

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Autumn Colors WI 2012

Post by sped372 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I seriously love the fall. We had a wonderful weekend here and spent a good bit of it outdoors enjoying the colors and beautiful weather. There's nothing quite like the striking yellow of a backlit maple or the grandness of an overlook with the reds, tans, and oranges of fall in the upper midwest.

We spent a night in the bus and some time in the Ghia as well.

And we made sure to hike to the top of Gibraltar Rock. Only five miles from home, it offers one of the best panoramic views I've seen anywhere. The fall colors make it even better. We spent close to an hour watching the turkey vultures climb the thermals and just watching the world below us.

Hopefully some of you were also able to get out there and enjoy the weekend too. It's a great time of year to be in a VW, but even if you're driving something else get out there.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Autumn Colors WI 2012

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 am

sped372 wrote:I seriously love the fall. We had a wonderful weekend here and spent a good bit of it outdoors enjoying the colors and beautiful weather. There's nothing quite like the striking yellow of a backlit maple or the grandness of an overlook with the reds, tans, and oranges of fall in the upper midwest.

That reminds me of growing up in the Mid West. If I were a boy right there, I would be lost in the woods, playing in the creeks, climbing the hills. Our leaves are just starting to turn, we are still in shorts and short sleeves, but soon will return to jackets and pants. When the leaves do turn, I'll head for the mountains and take some pictures too.

Thanks Sped, this looks wonderful.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 am

What great pics. I also love the fall in the mid-west - my bus seems to especially enjoy the brisk weather. I especially appreciated these pics because this fall I am unable to drive my bus (or any car for that matter) since undergoing foot reconstruction surgery a few weeks ago.

More pics!!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 am

Mr Blotto wrote:More pics!!

1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am

sped372 wrote:
Mr Blotto wrote:More pics!!

I grew up in Sun Prairie, and this was always my official "skipping school" spot to go to.

In my mid-20's a friend and I went up there late at night and after a few hours of just relaxing and looking at stars we decided to hike back down to the car -but not before kicking our only working flashlight down the side of the cliff. Total darkness that night - no moon. The incline on that hill going to the top is ruthless when you can't see a thing and bats keep whizzing past your ears. :compress:

awesome photo's. makes me wish I had planned a home visit for now and not when it's all grey and snowy in January.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm

A historical retrospective of a northeast fall enjoyed four years ago . . .

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Awwww.
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Cindy wrote:Awwww.
I know. My very first picture ever posted to an "online forum" was about a month after finishing the Road Warrior's refresh, which you witnessed firsthand. Actual Kodak film, developed, scanned into my computer, that cemetery outside of Waterport? near the Yusef school?
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:55 am

Sylvester wrote: That does no sound like a New England Leave it to Beaver Dad coming home.
Naw, it don't. Back to fall colors.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 am

Well if we're looking back, here are a couple from Nelson Dewey (overlooking the Mississippi) in 2010 that I really like:

1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:34 pm

sped372 wrote:Image
Ah, so similar... That shot definitely takes me back to Hungary, and the wonderful autumns we got there. :)