STOP

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: STOP

Post by ruckman101 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 am

grandfatherjim wrote:
RSorak 71Westy wrote:If I remember right, the winner of the 1st survivor was Richard Hatch, a gay man who later went to jail for not paying taxes on his winnings, how is this an example of, "the winner was determined by the media wanting to spoon-feed us their politically-correct agenda of the day, not by skill." ?

As your argument makes no sense to me.
At the time I felt every time I turned on the tube there was a pro-gay message coming at me. My comment was not about Richard Hatch or tax evasion, or the pro-gay topic either; it was about the media being used to steer the minds of the population. I don't care whether someone is gay; my point was that I don't like being told via the media what is the current correct way to view the world. I want to think my positions through on my own, sometimes with sensible debate with others i.e. use my brain, and not be pablumized.

Jim

Here here!

We've bailed on the traditional television content delivery model and now view only what we select via the internet with an Apple TV interface. Our sole vice is now from the library of Netflix's streaming service.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm

I pretty much do exactly as Neal does except I download tons of movies mostly as they are being shown in the theaters while I am in Suriname as they don't honor/care about copyrights....Theater tickets for Movies are too expensive! IMHO actors making $10Million for a movie is a joke.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:28 am

I'm just cheap. I could get all the latest and greatest have to content from sports to whatever, but that involves opening my wallet. I have yet to purchase online content that's certainly available beyond the streaming Netflix titles. Doctor Who rocks.

I'm not an aggressive copyright infringer, but if in Suriname, and it's right there, puhleeze. Not like I would propagate that good fortune, just would enjoy the show.

Uhh, pm me Bleyseng, I'd like to talk a bit. Ahem. No profiting involved. :king:

neal

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 am

The first season of Survivor was a bunch of people who didn't understand the game strategy. Richard Hatch formed an alliance of 4 in the very beginning which held tight. The other players were unfocused, and so were voted out one by one. You would not have been able to predict the winners of some of the subsequent seasons, and others were evident from the beginning.

As the season progress, the rules keep changing is various ways to keep the outcomes less predictable. The conditions are much harsher, the provisions fewer.

Pooh pooh on the entire genre, you say. Whatever. I like it. The scenery and the photography are great. The music is interesting. The contrived drama entertaining.

Copycat reality shows which followed are much lower quality. Dumb dumb stuff some of them. I agree with you on that.

(oh darn.. didn't realize this was such an oldie topic)
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:00 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:I don't like being told via the media what is the current correct way to view the world.
There is not enough consciousness in "the media" to be telling you anything that is anything but the effort to please the advertisers.
Colin
(a mindless media, that is what I see)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Yes I agree, the media is just the means of getting the message in front of us.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 pm

aka a delivery system for the advertising.

neal

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Well the "advertisers" maybe includes "everyone who can successfully influence them, most typically with money".

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:23 am

grandfatherjim wrote:Well the "advertisers" maybe includes "everyone who can successfully influence them, most typically with money".
that is the way it has always been with the media. from those game shows in the fifties with the tobacco companies sponsoring them to the product placement of today. money talks.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 am

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

vdubzen wrote: that is the way it has always been with the media. from those game shows in the fifties with the tobacco companies sponsoring them to the product placement of today. money talks.
But we had Edward R Murrow and a fine tradition of telling truth to power too.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am

grandfatherjim wrote:Well the "advertisers" maybe includes "everyone who can successfully influence them, most typically with money".
They ignored Ron Paul. I’m sure they ignore other viable candidates too.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"