Crazy thing

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Crazy thing

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Lets see if anyone ever reads and posts on this website and is now just following Colin on Facebook.

What is the craziest thing you ever did to get a AC VW running?

I'll go first. Years ago I bought a non-running Doormobile, a 1972 model. It had not run in years, I installed new points new cap new battery etc. I was determined to drive it 40 miles to my house from the sellers. One thing was it had a leak in the gas tank. So, I bought a gas can, filled it up placing it on the floor in front of the bed, ran a long fuel hose to the carburetor and indeed did drive it away to the cheers of the neighbors who wanted it gone from the sellers driveway.

Getting it home was another long and painful story but it did run, for awhile.

Don't be shy, tell us what you did to get a VW somewhere in distress.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Crazy thing

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:18 am

Sylvester wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 pm
Lets see if anyone ever reads and posts on this website and is now just following Colin on Facebook.

What is the craziest thing you ever did to get a AC VW running?
I don't do Facebook and never will, so I guess I will be out of the loop on Colin's adventures once this forum succumbs to entropy.

So it goes.

Craziest I can think of was when a buddy's throttle cable broke on his Bug. There wasn't enough cable left to do any shadetree extension. So we tied a string to the throttle arm on the carb, ran the string out the vent in the decklid, around the outside of the car to the driver's window, tied it off on the side mirror, and he drove home controlling the throttle with his left hand out the window. Fortunately it was late at night and there was very little traffic.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:19 pm

I'm another non Facebook person so i will chime in here. Just a few come to mind. Don't know how crazy but it got us home. One day many years ago, we hopped in the bus(55) and tried to take off. Shifter appeared to do nothing. Crawled under to discover the shift coupler broke. This was the early rubber style. I clamped it together with vice grips and moved on. Carried a spare after that. So there's one. If there's more interest, I will throw in a few more.

blue72beetle
I'm New!

Post by blue72beetle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Not really crazy...
A long time ago I took my Beetle to a car show in another state. On the way home I stopped to fill up at a gas station, and the car wouldn't restart, bad starter. No hills around but I managed to push start it behind the gas station after many failed attempts.
I didn't want to go through that again, so the rest of the trip home I never shut the car off for gas stops.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 am

Oh, I got another one.
I was travelling home from trade school in my Beetle when the transmission decided that it wasn't going to come out of first gear. In rush hour. On the highway. 15 miles from home.
Fortunately there was a wide shoulder, so I got onto the shoulder and limped home in first with the four-way flashers going, engine spun up to max rpm the whole way.

Now, it turned out that I had just bought my first vee-dubble-you van (because that's what we called 'em where I grew up. None of this "bus" nonsense) with a clapped out engine for far more than it was worth, so that was my ride to school the next morning. I seem to recall doing an engine transplant from the beetle to the van at some point. I didn't use a trans adapter, so the beetle case must have had the mounting bosses. Can't recall exactly. That got swapped out for the Corvair engine and Powerglide sometime afterwards.

That turned out to be the last trip for the beetle. I never did repair the transmission, so it sat and rusted until the scrapper hauled it away.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:41 am

Uhhhh years ago I bought a convertible bug, site unseen, and drove it 450 miles home... it hadn’t been outside of the neighborhood in 15 years, so I swapped the fuel lines and did a tune up. Not a crazy resurrection, but a fun one...

On the road? I had to re-ring a cylinder in 2019, had to re-cam an engine in 2016... I’ve woken up a few T4 engines from decades of sleep, and all of those FI engines are out there taking families on road trips... The carbureted engines don’t seem to wake up as easily....

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Not to get it running, but to keep it running.

The Summer of my HS graduation a couple buddies and I road-tripped to the Black Hills from our small town in Nebraska. For some reason we took my 1970 Squareback, and not the 1974 Campmobile one of the buddies owned (the same one I now own, actually; but I digress).

The generator died and even in 1992 you couldn't get a Type 3 generator in Rapid City. So we bought a Type 1 generator and kept it in place with a couple crushed beer cans underneath. It held out reasonably well until the way home around Wall, where the belt started sounding funny and then snapped. I was driving at the time and was surprised at the instant increase in engine power. We drove it home without a spinning generator; just bought a couple batteries and replaced the dead ones when they no longer had enough voltage to run the FI.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com