Bus Headliner

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Bus Headliner

Post by asiab3 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:05 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:Pops has cash. I'm broke since I cut my ties with The Establishment.
FRUGAL, not cheap ya dig.
So, "pops" is installing a new headliner in Chloe…
…I will do a write-up with photographs so long as I do not commit a catastrophe.
Colin
By yourself? :salute:

I look forward to seeing the result.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:01 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: …I will do a write-up with photographs so long as I do not commit a catastrophe.
Colin
By yourself? :salute:
I look forward to seeing the result.
Robbie
See: Body Hardware Forum, Bay Window Headliner Project
It is NOT up yet.

I have, however, gone past the point of no return. :silent:
See: 2014 Itinerary, Attack At The Law Firm
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Yeah, so I tore the car apart pretty good before TMI tells me that it will be two to three weeks to make a standard perforated bright white headliner and another week to ship it out. I asked the phone rep why this excessive lead time is not mentioned anywhere in the ordering process.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:50 pm

DOH! Do you have enough time at your current location to wait? If so, any projects that would make sense to do during this window of time?
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:00 pm

I get to do one in Gretchen Ghia. On my recent visit to House of Ghia, I chatted with Mike around a Ghia with clips holding the edge of a newly installed headliner, and absolutely, the windows have to come out. The edges of the headliner are under the window rubber. I kinda like the rat-rod window slats though, but not for Gretchen, no worries in a baja though.
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:47 pm

airkooledchris wrote:DOH! Do you have enough time at your current location to wait? If so, any projects that would make sense to do during this window of time?
I have committed to doing the full interior.

IF IF IF I can guarantee that the windows will not leak, I will install the complete set of never installed NOS interior panels up in Atlanta (driving up on Sunday), so the wait time will be devoted to new seals for all the vent windows. Why just today I got a new WW windshield seal (we'll see if it is the correct chrome moulding profile).

A new headliner with new interior panels should yield a very handsome bus. I have never seen a brand new brown early bus interior in any of the literature. Maybe I will have one in real life, if I get this headliner in properly. I look forward to having it done.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Having read many of your posts, I'm not surprised you're tackling the headliner. I know I "tried" to install one in my 67 bug but my anal nature HATED the way is was going. I then took it to a pro who installed it perfectly. I wish you luck, patience, valium, maybe some jack as well. lol

I love Wolfsburg West but lately the window rubber has been lacking in quality. I hope you have better luck than I did with my rear window rubber in my 67 bug. It also has the chrome trim groove. I had a pro glass installer and myself in my garage. He installed a new windshield with an existing West Coast Metric seal with the chrome groove. He had it in by himself in minutes, chrome and all. We both fought that rear window together for over two hours to get it in place. It was a brand new seal that had been warmed in the sun all day. We were both not happy. I've read this has been a common issue recently with WW window rubbers.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:20 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:Having read many of your posts, I'm not surprised you're tackling the headliner. I know I "tried" to install one in my 67 bug but my anal nature HATED the way is was going. I then took it to a pro who installed it perfectly. I wish you luck, patience, valium, maybe some jack as well. lol

I love Wolfsburg West but lately the window rubber has been lacking in quality. I hope you have better luck than I did with my rear window rubber in my 67 bug. It also has the chrome trim groove. I had a pro glass installer and myself in my garage. He installed a new windshield with an existing West Coast Metric seal with the chrome groove. He had it in by himself in minutes, chrome and all. We both fought that rear window together for over two hours to get it in place. It was a brand new seal that had been warmed in the sun all day. We were both not happy. I've read this has been a common issue recently with WW window rubbers.
If I manage to tear the new headliner at the pinchweld and break the windshield trying to get it in nice and flush, you will hear the howls across the continent.
"Is that, is that a coyote?"
"No, he screwed up."
"Who screwed up?"
"Doesn't even matter."