Rob's Blue Bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Rob's Blue Bus

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
bajaman72 wrote:Hello Everyone,
Sorry I haven't been on much, been busy driving my Bus everywhere!! :cheers:

the back of my yard
Me too . . . .

THAT is your back YARD?
Colin
Half of it, The other half is behind the white fence. :thumbleft:

My engine ended up with a flat cam lobe on exhaust #3 :angryfire:
Picked up a 2.0L and current working this one over. Almost done. Should have good news soon.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Just wanted to update.
Finished up the 2 Liter and found out almost immediately that the gearing in the 3 rib transmission wasn't right. So I did what anybody else would do.. I put a six rib in it! :cheers:
My buddy came by who is starting his Paint Restoration business and did one heck of a job polishing up my original paint. I'm loving it! :flower:

Rims are next.
This picture was taken last weekend. Cruised up to Tehachapi to meet other VW Clubs from the Central Coast for Octoberfest :drunken:

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:39 pm

looks great
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:33 am

bajaman72 wrote:Just wanted to update.
Finished up the 2 Liter and found out almost immediately that the gearing in the 3 rib transmission wasn't right. So I did what anybody else would do.. I put a six rib in it! :cheers:
My buddy came by who is starting his Paint Restoration business and did one heck of a job polishing up my original paint. I'm loving it! :flower:

Rims are next.
This picture was taken last weekend. Cruised up to Tehachapi to meet other VW Clubs from the Central Coast for Octoberfest :drunken:
That is really looking good. I like a well-polished original paint with all of the evidence of Life Lived on it.
Colin
(back bumper?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey Colin,
I'm really digging the original paint as well. So much life left in it.
My back bumper is pretty banged up. I was just gonna roll it but with the crappy muffler set up it will not bolt up due to the muffler blocking the bracket. Exhaust is junk and as soon as it's replaced my rear bumper will be re-installed. Hopefully I can get it straightened before that.
Original splash pans and all!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm

bajaman72 wrote:Hey Colin,

Original splash pans and all!
You're putting on the rear bumper and getting rid of that crappy exhaust. Stock exhaust sounds better and the engine likes it better. Says I, that's who.
Colin :blackeye:

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Yes, crappy exhaust for sure. Been looking at an original but too costly at the moment.

I recently had my transmission rebuilt before the swap (091) and it seems to be leaking pretty bad into the bellhousing. I am hoping it will be an easy fix. Time crunch is on for Busses by the Bridge.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:43 pm

If you're contemplating an exhaust swap, a NOS Liestritz pops up on eBay from time to time. It's about $50 more than the stock exhausts that JP/Dansk/Jopex makes at the moment. The NOS exhaust took me an hour to install. The aftermarket exhaust took nearly six. If your time is cheap, then go for it. If you value your time, wait for a good one.

Beautiful paint!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:11 am

asiab3 wrote:If you're contemplating an exhaust swap, a NOS Liestritz pops up on eBay from time to time. It's about $50 more than the stock exhausts that JP/Dansk/Jopex makes at the moment. The NOS exhaust took me an hour to install. The aftermarket exhaust took nearly six. If your time is cheap, then go for it. If you value your time, wait for a good one.

Beautiful paint!
Robbie
I got a fresh nos oem Leistritz muffler for a 2.0 engine for $100.00 last year. Nos oem cross-over pipe was $300.00. Did not get heat exchangers, but the ones I tracked down were pretty much $300.00 ea. J-pipes (oval pipe flanges) are going up by the day. U-pipes are disappearing, but of you shake the trees, you can find them as people cobble together their KustomEmpi Rust-Out specials. Crunch time is here for us air-cooled VW owners. Get parts while you can.
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I got a fresh nos oem Leistritz muffler for a 2.0 engine for $100.00 last year. Nos oem cross-over pipe was $300.00. Did not get heat exchangers, but the ones I tracked down were pretty much $300.00 ea. J-pipes (oval pipe flanges) are going up by the day. U-pipes are disappearing, but of you shake the trees, you can find them as people cobble together their KustomEmpi Rust-Out specials. Crunch time is here for us air-cooled VW owners. Get parts while you can.
With prices going up like that (though, IIRC, the crossover pipe on my Vanagon from CIP cost me north of $300 CDN over 12 years ago), the $600 price tag for a Rocky Mountain Westy stainless-steel exhaust is starting to look downright reasonable.

Rob, since your '72 will have the same trapezoidal heater box exhaust flanges as the air-cooled Vanagon, the RMW system ought to bolt right up for you. You might even be able to save a few bucks by getting them to delete the cat that you won't want and substitute a straight pipe.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:08 pm

$600 is too rich for my blood. I see a few on TS for around $250 which is tolerable, but like I said, it's just not on my priority list ATM. My transmission is leaking gear oil pretty bad into the bell housing which I need to fix... as soon as I finish up another 72 im working on :-/

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 am

I have been having a problem with my fan coming off. On my way to Busses By the Bridge it fell off and damaged quite a bit including my shroud.
Waiting for AAA

It had smeared the keyway on my crankshaft.
I decided to hold a new key in place and fill the void with weld. Assembled with a different fan, hub, fan cover, timing pointer and shroud. Fan still seemed like it was wobbling a little but did fine on short local trips.
Blackstar Campout/Prado Show N Shine rolls around and we make it there fine, but on the way home the fan comes off again. I had it towed home and found the bolt had snapped off inside the crank.

I already turned in a 1700 long block to European Motor Works in Chatsworth and George will be making this a 2L for me.

PS: Any more of those fancy timing scales still available for purchase?

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 am

Prior to the above fiasco my transmission was leaking like crazy from my Bellhousing. After several attempts to fix I finally bit the bullet and had Jeff over at TransAxle Engineering in Chatworth, CA rebuild a transmission for me. Quick turnaround time. Decent price and works great.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 pm

bajaman72 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm
Just wanted to update.
How's your buddy's Paint Restoration business going? Does he need a customer?

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 pm

He is actually doing pretty good. He has turned a bunch of business down though. He is not interested in Nice New cars. He likes the original paint stuff that someone dragged outta the field. Is it for the Ghia in your avatar? I can PM you his info if your interested.