Working On My List

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 am

chitwnvw wrote:How hard was it to get rid of the old rails? Just ground through the old weld beads? No sweat?
The old style seat doesn't have rails. Just two brackets welded in at the bottom and a clippy thing on the back bulkhead. I cut the bracket pieces out pretty easily.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 am

Hiya BP,

Damn fine!

I am impressed to no end. I just gotta get into a welding class.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 am

BellePlaine wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:How hard was it to get rid of the old rails? Just ground through the old weld beads? No sweat?
The old style seat doesn't have rails. Just two brackets welded in at the bottom and a clippy thing on the back bulkhead. I cut the bracket pieces out pretty easily.
You have a 75 or before?

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

chitwnvw wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:
You have a 75 or before?
He's got a '75, I'm pretty sure.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:50 am

Bookwus wrote:Hiya BP,

Damn fine!

I am impressed to no end. I just gotta get into a welding class.
Thanks Bookwus! I'm learning as I'm going along. I, as well, would LOVE to learn the art of welding. But in the meantime, I've got good friends.

chitwnvw wrote:

You have a 75 or before?
Right, I have a 1975 Riviera. I also HAD a 1976 rusty Westy hardtop. A lot of what I've done is move the good parts from the Westy interior into the Riviera. Although, I should point out that my Riviera came to me with it's own Late Westy interior. Most of that interior was shot from rodent damage.

Most everything is explained here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... er+project

Since I've got my buddy willing to weld for me, my next project will be to weld in the Westy floor anchors that you use to bold down the Westy furniture. I saved those from my old parts bus as well.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:06 pm

chitwnvw wrote:You have a 75 or before?
Don't get too hung up on the year. My '78 Riviera was built using a Kombi. Kombi's, through all years, had bulkheads behind both driver and passenger seat as they were designed for the possibility of carrying cargo in addition to passengers.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 pm

dtrumbo wrote:
Don't get too hung up on the year. My '78 Riviera was built using a Kombi. Kombi's, through all years, had bulkheads behind both driver and passenger seat as they were designed for the possibility of carrying cargo in addition to passengers.
But the rails changed in 76. Before that driver and passenger side were different. After 76, drivers and passenger side both had the same kind of rail, albeit different than anything on a pre '76 bus.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:
But the rails changed in 76. Before that driver and passenger side were different. After 76, drivers and passenger side both had the same kind of rail, albeit different than anything on a pre '76 bus.
As BP said, the Kombi's (aka most Riviera's) never had rails on the passenger side. All there is are two brackets at the rear corners and a clip at the top of the bulkhead that gave you a whopping two positions to adjust the passenger seat.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 am

dtrumbo wrote: As BP said, the Kombi's (aka most Riviera's) never had rails on the passenger side. All there is are two brackets at the rear corners and a clip at the top of the bulkhead that gave you a whopping two positions to adjust the passenger seat.
Interesting, I assume it is the same as a pre '76 passenger seat.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue May 04, 2010 8:03 pm

You all saw the new spare tire mount, right?

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=2696

Well, I've been checking off other stuff from my list as well. In the short time that I've had my bus it's bothered me that my late Westy interior wasn't anchored to the floor properly. Before I sent my Westy parts bus away, I cut out the floor anchor nuts to install into the Riviera later. So today I had my buddy, Chad, weld them in.

Now, in case of a roll over (God forbid) hopefully my furniture will stay put.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 pm

So the Rivi's had different bosses than the Westys... retarded, but sort of makes sense.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Now that it's almost August and we've taken our bus vacation, I'm feeling a bit unmotivated and a bit bored with bus projects. But there is a part of me that wants to cross off another item off of my list just for the sake of doing something. I guess I'll try to enjoy this downtime.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm

I was feeling kind of blase working on the Troutmobile, but now that I've busted out the 73 Westy, I have the fire again. Maybe you just need to get a harem to keep the fire alive. Bus polygamy is not against the law. I'm sure in the late fall when I switch back to driving the Troutmobile that I will be all into that one again.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:25 am

From last Sept:
Those freakin lists...do they ever go away?
1. drop engine to retorque and replace seals
2. front drums to be turned, rear adjusters siezed
3. repair passenger door latch and replace door seal
4. replace panelling on slider and rear hatch
5. Beetle tie rods and ball joints
6. POR15 Beetle floors
So far, all done except 4 and 6. Not bad. Of course now there is a NEW list... :profileleft:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 am

Ah yes, the three certainties of life..............

Death
Taxes
and To-Do Lists
I have cancer.

It does not have me.