Eary Bay - Top Speed?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Eary Bay - Top Speed?

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am

hambone wrote:SO, I drove all over town today, shifting at 3500. Checked the engine at random stops, all cool. I feel like a kid in a '74 Nova gunning it. It is a peppier way to drive. The engine IS happier to have higher RPMS in the next gear. Strange that all that fast running is good for an engine. Shifting into 4th at 45! What a rush!
I kept second-guessing all your advice all day. "This CAN'T be RIGHT!!" Ok ok. This forum is a collection of me learning things the hard way.
Feel free to do your old laggard shifting in mellow no-demand situations. Also feel free to do guided imagery in your mind of the difference between driving down the railroad track ties at 15 mph versus 85 mph. That is the story of the crankshaft getting hit with firing impulses. It likes the 85 mph.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: Eary Bay - Top Speed?

Post by Hippie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Good analogy of the lug ^^^

So I learned this same lesson on a Yamaha when I was a kid. RR trestles like high speed. Less bumps. Less chance of hanging up on those 2 foot gaps between some of the ties and falling in the river 40 feet below. Less chance of being on the trestle when the choo choo comes.

You don't want to get hit by a choo choo, do you Hammy? I didn't think so. Listen to Colin. :sunny: