Oregon72 engine rebuild

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Oregon72 engine rebuild

Post by Oregon72 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 am

Well I've opened my can of worms - about halfway through the ratwell steps to pulling my engine. This is going to be an adventure I can tell. With the muffler off, I can tell there are several connections between heat exchangers heating tubes, shroud etc. are not exactly precisely lined up - gaps here and there with fitment issues.

Anyone know where to get a set of these lower flaps? Both of mine are missing and I'm sure they are probably necessary for something.

Traftons?

Photo rights to LiveOnJG
-'72 Westy-

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 am

They are necessary! They keep hot heater box air from blowing into the fan shroud and over your engine.

You can get the flaps from Chris at BustedBus.com or interstate VW. You can also make them yourself out of coke cans.

Do you have seals for the connection covers?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 am

They are NLA. I tried making my own and it was crappy. :)

Hal...........do you still have that pair you found while doing the engine clean-up. Dibs!!!!

You can get them from Ken for sure. I know I've inquired.

-dave
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:08 pm

I would definitely give Trafton's yard a look.
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 pm

Yup. Ken @ busco, and Chris @ bustedbus have heater flaps. Absolutely, positively do not run your engine without them (all done in my best Karl Malden voice).
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Chris at bustedbus has them - $29 a set. Is that a good price?? I haven't a clue but perhaps Trafton has them cheaper.
-'72 Westy-

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:16 pm

If they are in good shape, and include the pins (you didn't mention whether or not you have the pins), that's not a terrible price. Did you contact Ken?

Also, I just remembered reading a thread on the T2 list that Scott (@ German Supply) is selling nice reproductions for $16 each. I looked at his site, and he also has used flaps (minus the pins) for a little over $7 each.

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/s ... ring=flaps

You can make your own pins out of wire or metal rod...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Hiya Troy,

If Bill has the flaps he will almost certainly charge you less than anywhere else you might find them. His yard is definitely worth the look. He does have T4 stuff out there. I'd be glad to scrounge for them myself............but..............being a Type 1 guy I have no idea what we're talking about. I need some more T4 education I guess.

Any other way I can help I'd be happy to.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Troy,

If Bill has the flaps he will almost certainly charge you less than anywhere else you might find them. His yard is definitely worth the look. He does have T4 stuff out there. I'd be glad to scrounge for them myself............but..............being a Type 1 guy I have no idea what we're talking about. I need some more T4 education I guess.

Any other way I can help I'd be happy to.
Agreed. I would give Trafton a visit first, and I can almost guarantee that he has them for less than anyone else

Keep your money local...
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 pm

OK, I gotta ask.. Can you install the flaps with the engine in? My 'runner' doesn't have the flaps but the parts motor does. Can you guess what job I'm thinking of adding to my list.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Runamuck Bus wrote:OK, I gotta ask.. Can you install the flaps with the engine in? My 'runner' doesn't have the flaps but the parts motor does. Can you guess what job I'm thinking of adding to my list.
It is easy to install them with the engine in (just drop the exchangers) and it is easy to fabricate them with pie tin and a wire coat hanger for the pins.
Cut pie tin in rectangular shapes that exceed the dimensions of the flaps.
With a ball peen hammer, tap the tins against the openings of the fan housing to make a rough impression of the outer perimeter and the inner space as well. Cut the tins slightly inside the outer perimeter with two ears sticking up whose outside edges are just smaller than the gap between holes that the pins go through in the fan housing. This will ensure that the flaps do not shift sideways and hang up inside the exchanger ducts. Wrap the ears around a small screwdriver shank to make your hinge holes. They will need to be slightly offset from the face of the flap to allow the flap to arc around the hinge and lay flat against the fan housing. Takes less than 30 minutes.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:16 am

Amskeptic wrote: Takes less than 30 minutes.
Colin
Lessn' it's your first time playin with sheet metal. Then give yourself some time to do it. My practice is to make a mockup with a lighter material (easier to work with) like card stock paper (or a cereal box.). Useful for making a pattern as well.

You can make a set but the prices I am seeing here make me think that even $29 (the top end) is worth it.

'Specially when Karl Malden is weighing in. :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 am

The price from bustedbus is for NEW flaps but no pins - Chris suggested using a nail with the head ground off. Seems like it would work fine. I also saw some other stuff under there that looked disheartening such as the thermostat cable not being connected to anything. Also a rubber boot of some type that appears to have a huge rip in it. Also the rubber motor mounts are dried up and heavily cracked so I need new ones there too. I may need a new muffler stud too as it appears I accidentally cross threaded one of the nuts when I installed it a while back. All this and I don't even have the engine fully out yet. Last night I was at the last step of unbolting the engine from the tranny - I'm hoping to be able to do it all by myself, but I might need a partner for this last bit. Just trying to get a little bit done as time allows.
-'72 Westy-

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:07 pm

Still looking for that Address PM....hint hint....

P'raps we could plan on a Saturday meet up. I will likely be done sighting in close to noonish...

Get the last bit done an pull er out?

You want to borrow my engine stand? it will be helpful if your doing the full meal deal...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Gypsie wrote:Still looking for that Address PM....hint hint....

P'raps we could plan on a Saturday meet up. I will likely be done sighting in close to noonish...

Get the last bit done an pull er out?

You want to borrow my engine stand? it will be helpful if your doing the full meal deal...
I'll be home at about 2:00pm. It would be great to have you over if you are coming through around then - I think that will put you here right around o'beer-thirty. Perhaps I'll even have the engine out by then if I get a little time- then we can really take a look at stuff.

I won't be splitting the case, just top-end stuff. Since Colin said the bottom end sounded really smooth, I don't want to get into anything that doesn't need it or spend money that doesn't really need to be spent.

address PM sent.
-'72 Westy-