'79 Westy Rebuild

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Another good day outside today. Weather actually cooperated today and it turned out to be a gorgeous day sunny in the mid 60's. I laid my new windshield seal out in the sun while I went about getting the Bus ready for the glass. I thoroughly cleaned and waxed the seal area which is already coated in POR-15, and I had to bolt the dash back in also. It was just hanging there on the heat ducts. I pulled the windshield from a '71 Westy I had to put in this Bus, with a nice green tint strip at the top. Used all of the hardware from the '71 to put the dash back together and bolt it into the Bus. I put a fresh coat of black paint on the antenna base and installed it while the dash wasn't secured. I cleaned and waxed the dash top before I put the glass back in and even put the little covers for the screws on the top of the dash back on. Put the new seal on the glass, pushed my vinyl coated wire into the groove all the way around the windshield and offered it up to the Bus. I thought I had remembered that you should start the pulling the the bottom, which turned out to be incorrect. Got to the driver's top corner and it broke. I assumed I would break at least one. I put the seal on yet another windshield, pushed the wire into the groove again and lubricated the seal. This time we would be pulling the cord from the top first. Did it a little at a time, side by side and it went in without a hitch. I couldn't believe it!! Installed the turn signal lenses, headlights and trim rings, and the front bumper. Prior to installing the bumper I buffed and waxed the area visible behind it. I had one bolt hole with a broken bolt in it so I drilled it out and retapped the hole. Good to go. Repsrayed the bumper bolt caps gloss black and installed them over the bolt heads. I sprayed a fresh coat of black paint on the plastic mesh behind the air grille in the front and installed that also. Cleaned all of the windows for the first time and made sure everything got a through coat of wax. I installed one of my interior door panels to get rid of these hideous paneling things that are in there. I made these a while back for my other '79 Westy. Still have to reinastall the speaker and the surround for the door handle but I was pretty tired after putting the windshield seal on twice today. I grabbed an extra Westy luggage rack and set it up there so it would seal the water out. She should be mostly water tight now. I don't know if I will use this luggage rack or one of the others I have, this one is a little damaged on the top and needs a new seal. The rest of the pop top has a brand new seal on it already. That's about it for today....lots of pics to follow.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:26 pm

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 pm

That thing is rapidly turning into a $10K Bus! Awesome!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:39 pm

=D>

bravo bravo bravo
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

They look so funny with the luggage rack removed. Sort of like an old guy who's toupee got blown off in the wind.

Nice work. Where do you find the time?
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Gadzooks, we need a camera on that and speed it up. How fast can you assemble a Bus? It's been five days?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Ritter wrote: Where do you find the time?
Being unemployed helps tremendously.
Sylvester wrote:Gadzooks, we need a camera on that and speed it up. How fast can you assemble a Bus? It's been five days?
I brought it home Sunday, didn't touch it after I rolled it off the trailer. Worked on it Monday and Tuesday and today. 3 days off and on so far.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Wow, that door is kinda funky. Whats up with that??

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Not sure what you mean...what door?

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 am

Lookin good man keep up the good work. 8)
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:32 am

I agree with Sly - a time-lapse photograpy montage on that would be incredible. You're rolling back the clock to better days. I bet your bus secretly hopes you stay unemployed -:bom: Well done.
-'72 Westy-

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:37 am

Vdubtech wrote:
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Seems to be going around.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:37 am

Well, it's been raining all morning, I got the windshield in just in time. Best part is-so far, there are no leaks!! No water on the top of the dash or puddling on the floor. I guess my second attempt at installing the glass was a success. Bums me out though, I woulda liked that tinted window in this beast. I'm taking off at 6:30 tomorrow morning to go pick up the '76 Westy parts Bus. Crappy day so I probably won't get much done on her, but at least it's dry inside now!!

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 am

Vdubtech wrote:
I see a very successful small business venture in your future!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles