1600 or early bay questions

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

1600 or early bay questions

Post by Elwood » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:56 pm

OK here I go, Have all the books and know the warnings about Search, but If I had the time to click around and read everything that is written on these great vehicles ~~ why would we need each other???

I have found more info from personal messaging in a great attitude on the internet , because we need to exchange. Hope this site sees that not all of us understand what you experianced ones are saying . I look forward to a glosary of abriviations~~~ ya I know they excist all over the internet , but I want them here on this one. Like what is atv mean??

Well to my question , how much oil , is too much, when you have a tricky dip stick and have a external oil cooler and cleaner? Is less more or more better?

BTW the time stamp is Way diff ---right now in my neck of the woods it is 10 pm 8-12-06 8) the sky is full of stars and
I look forward to seeing the Midnight Sun next year.

Thanks for talking !

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:07 am

Go to your profile and change the time setting to GMT-7 hours. That will set the time properly for California.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1600 or early bay questions

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:14 pm

Elwood wrote: how much oil , is too much, when you have a tricky dip stick and have a external oil cooler and cleaner?
I think the average increase in oil capacity is from 2.5 quarts up to 3.8. Since the external oil cooler and the remote oil filter hold their extra oil for the most part, you should see a normal dipstick after filling the engine with 3.8 quarts and running the engine briefly to circulate the oil.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:47 pm

ATV = All Terrain Vehicle. Some like the service jack used for those four wheel dirt bikes for engine R&R.
R&R = remove, replace O:)

ATV

http://www.ghi.no/index/bilder/aeon180b ... aled (14%)

ATV jack

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ph ... aled (91%)

Bill

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 am

This is working ! Three questions and three answers.

Thank you very much!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Glad to help.

Bill

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:54 pm

Ok next question, don,t think I need to start a new topic because this is about early '69 bay, somebody tell me if it would be better.

I need two extra rims for the Arctic trip and so I can rotate while they are being painted and tires mounted. Steve (regalesr) is looking for me . Are they called "wide five" and do ones from late splitties fit???

Thanks

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:20 pm

Elwood wrote:Ok next question, don,t think I need to start a new topic because this is about early '69 bay, somebody tell me if it would be better.

I need two extra rims for the Arctic trip and so I can rotate while they are being painted and tires mounted. Steve (regalesr) is looking for me . Are they called "wide five" and do ones from late splitties fit???

Thanks
The 1968-1970 bay wheels are wide 5 and 14 inches in diameter,
the width is 5 J if I recall correctly. Some of the later 1500 splitties used the same wheels, but make sure the seller has verified the diameter.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:13 pm

Birdibus wrote:Go to your profile and change the time setting to GMT-7 hours. That will set the time properly for California.
Thanks for that tip!
Keep it acoustic.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Elwood wrote:Ok next question, don,t think I need to start a new topic because this is about early '69 bay, somebody tell me if it would be better.

Thanks
In Lake Elsinore or San Marcos, call Interstate auto parts: http://www.interstateusedparts.com/ If you've never been to their Elsinore yard, it's fun! ;)

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:58 pm

DurocShark wrote:

Thanks
In Lake Elsinore or San Marcos, call Interstate auto parts: http://www.interstateusedparts.com/ If you've never been to their Elsinore yard, it's fun! ;)

Yes Shark I,ve been many times and it is a trip. They even let me wander around while they were going thru a pile of manifolds to find a clear one.
Took over 25 to find one and they sandblasted it also. You are the one that told me about that place when I first started on line to get pieces and parts for Elwood (now running) 8) and Steve found me some rims yesterday. But I will go back there for other stuff. It is a gold mine for all year vw's

Thanks again for the tip.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:46 pm

DurocShark wrote:In Lake Elsinore or San Marcos, call Interstate auto parts: http://www.interstateusedparts.com/ If you've never been to their Elsinore yard, it's fun! ;)
Where abouts in Elsinore? (which side of the lake) I wrote to their email address, and when they replied weeks later, :smt017 they only mentioned the San Marcos location. I am in that area occasionally, so I guess I should call them.
71 bus, 74 westy

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:04 pm

Birdibus wrote:
DurocShark wrote:In Lake Elsinore or San Marcos, call Interstate auto parts: http://www.interstateusedparts.com/ If you've never been to their Elsinore yard, it's fun! ;)
Where abouts in Elsinore? (which side of the lake) I wrote to their email address, and when they replied weeks later, :smt017 they only mentioned the San Marcos location. I am in that area occasionally, so I guess I should call them.
Know where the outlet mall is off I-15? Just south of that. It's kind of tucked away, so you need the address. It's on the website:

18181 Collier Ave.
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Birdie, You call the San Marcos main office to tell the gal what you are looking for and she gives the guy at the Elsinor yard a heads up that you are coming. They do not like people just showin up or walking around at all.
It is NOT a pick a part type place. It is acres of buses/bugs stacked three
high and bins and bins full of stripped parts. Ive been there so many times he knows me. They are very aware of the Samba and prices and
have people bugging them so keep it tight. I asked if I could take pictures one day to use for a painting guide and he said I could but not to publish them anywhere . It is worth the effort and I did see lots of latter bay westie interiors on my walk thru the yard. Have fun!

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:09 am

She's right. I forgot about that (it's been a while..)