Found a VW repair book

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Found a VW repair book

Post by Emily's Owner » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:34 pm

I found a VW repair book in a garage that we were cleaning out, and wondered if it was worth adding to the collection:

VOLKSWAGEN, Service-Repair Handbook Beetle, Super Beetle, Transporter, Fastback, Squareback, KG, 411 & 412, 1961 and later - Published by Clymer Publications, new edition (1980) for IAPCO

It seems to cover a lot of vehicles for such a small book....
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:02 am

Why not? If nothing else, use it as a "bathroom book"! :profileleft: Every book is worth something, but IMHO none of them can beat the Bentley. Sometimes they have nice cover art, though (I like the color sketch of the Bay bus on the cover of the 68-74 Bus book by Clymer).
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:50 am

If you don't want the book I'd buy it from you. I've started to accumulate a small bus book collection :) Bentley, Haynes, Chilton, Weber, Muir and a couple other funky ones. I love them all.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:48 am

Snag it. It's often useful to have different manuals available; sometimes one explains things in a more understandable way than others do.

Bentley can be a bit obtuse at times. "Using VW tool #xxx, ... " isn't exactly useful when you don't *have* tool #xxx and can't get it either. :cyclopsani:

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:32 pm

Hell, maybe I oughta sell my copy of Clymers here.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:17 pm

I can tell it's been used by the dirty thumb print marks along the pages.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:15 pm

I have the 1977 version (4th ed.) of that publication and it has a blue beetle on the front with a "76" on the side of it. Very enjoyable read and I'd keep it if I were you. I collect all VW literature and have a decent library now.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work