YIKES! What floor?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 am

I own a Hobart 135. Big enough for damn near all automotive welding, Questionable on say, a snow plow frame. The biggest mistake is not cleaning the metal enough. You must grind to bright clear steel. You can't get a good weld any other way. A MIG is very easy to use, even with poor technique you can get a decent weld. Just don't try to start at one end and weld all they way to the other in one pass. The thin sheet steel gets to hot and you start burning thru and warping. Little bits at a time, heeping the bits far apart and cooling with a wet rag.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:09 pm

You folks are FANTASTIC!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:29 pm

Clear RTV? The permatex product, yes? I've been using the blue RTV on the valve cover side of my valve cover gaskets.

neal

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
MeyerII wrote:In case even that is too spendy for ya, there is an abundant source of rust-free un-corrodable material - literally on the side of the road - that you can use.
:geek:  
You have been demoted to IAC Level 7:
Hill-Billy Who Drives A Rusted-Out Monte Carlo With Coconut Air Freshener Trying To Hide The Damp Wet Dog Smelling Carpet Hiding The Speed Limit Sign Floorboard
:king:
Wierd thing is I actually did that once when I was in college - to a '77 yellow Chevette. The floor dropped out after a nasty cold snap and a buddy had one of those yellow arrow signs that indicate an upcoming curve in his shop. We had it welded in in no time.

Funny thing was every time you put it up on a hoist, there was that arrow. The color almost matched, even.

But it sounds like Neal got his answer. I did the high-dollar fix to my old '71 camper:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 11801051KX

The $50 or $60 it cost back then was a pretty good investment.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:46 pm

That's the piece Meyer. The plan is a temp until I can learn to weld and get that side of things going. POR 15 the other (battery tray, both back bottom corners, etc.) unless the Colin treatment is appropriate. As there's more than just the floor that could be done better with a welder.

neal

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:54 pm

ruckman101 wrote:That's the piece Meyer. The plan is a temp until I can learn to weld and get that side of things going. POR 15 the other (battery tray, both back bottom corners, etc.) unless the Colin treatment is appropriate. As there's more than just the floor that could be done better with a welder.

neal
Whups - just noticed somebody already listed it. My bad. And yes - Wolfsburg West is a joy to deal with. Professional, knowledgeable and fast.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Two words: Duct Tape.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I continue to vault into my VW with gusto.
Colin
we need video proof said vaulting
78 P22 Westy

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:07 pm

pb24ss wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I continue to vault into my VW with gusto.
Colin
we need video proof said vaulting
Yeah... After our second day mega adventure Colin more or less kind of slowly crawled in. Then again I think it was midnight and he was weighted down with a stomach full of lasagna :cheers:
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:03 pm

ruckman101 wrote:That's the piece Meyer. The plan is a temp until I can learn to weld and get that side of things going. POR 15 the other (battery tray, both back bottom corners, etc.) unless the Colin treatment is appropriate. As there's more than just the floor that could be done better with a welder.

neal
Consider a Lincoln Pro-Core 100? No gas to buy.
Got mine at Home Depot and love it. (and I used to MIG and TIG for a living)
Maybe $350 or so. Just a thought.
But when you get a welder you won't know how you lived without it.

Rob

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:24 am

Hippie wrote:Consider a Lincoln Pro-Core 100? No gas to buy.
Got mine at Home Depot and love it. (and I used to MIG and TIG for a living)
Maybe $350 or so. Just a thought.
But when you get a welder you won't know how you lived without it.

Rob
Are you saying that Hot Rod Lincold should be all you need, minus welding bridges supports, for Bus repair?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Sylvester wrote:Are you saying that Hot Rod Lincold should be all you need, minus welding bridges supports, for Bus repair?
Depends on what you're doing, I suppose.
I have done everything from automotive sheet metal to 1/4" mild steel with it and have not needed another welder.
1. Bus: I welded in a new battery tray,
2. Bus: rebuilt a jackpoint, and sheet metal patched (re-made, actually) the corner under the dog leg behind the tire.
3. welded in a sheet metal patch on "Conny" (my '94 Lincoln) around the wheel wells where it was rusted, as well as welded on both new mufflers and tail pipes on it,
4. reattached the rattling catalytic heat shields on both Conny and my wifes daily driver.
5. built (not finished yet) a "roo bar" out of 1 1/4" nominal, schedule 40 steel pipe,
6. welded the galvanized sheet metal floor framing members of the garden shed kit I built (for more permanance than the factory snap together system)
7. repaired the handle on my charcoal smoker...

...Don't know how I did without it.

Lincoln makes a MIG kit for gas shielded welding for my model if I ever need to upgrade...but I've just used the flux cored .035" wire.

Yes, it's a little hot for butt welding sheet metal, but by backing the seams with 1/8" x 1/2" flat bar or a temporary copper heat sink I have been very successful with it. You do have to brush off the flux smoke trail between passes, but, on the up side, it works better outdoors on a windy day than
gas shielding.

I used to have a heluva time MIGing on rooftops with the Hobarts we used to use where I worked when the Stargon kept blowing away. :blackeye:

Rob

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:33 am

Wish I could get one tomorrow and start playing with it. Note to self, save for welder and learn to use it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:42 am

Sylvester wrote:Wish I could get one tomorrow and start playing with it. Note to self, save for welder and learn to use it.
It's fun, actually.
Save a little extra for a self-dimming welding mask, gloves, and miscellaneous. (extra tips, etc.)
I wouldn't cheap out and get an old fashioned flip down mask. (It's too hard to learn when you can't see until you start the arc.)
Got mine for $60 or so at Northern Tool and equipment.

Rob

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:22 am

I found that if you have little to no welding experience a MIG is the way to go. The .035 flux core wire is definitely gonna burn through on you when welding body panels. Save the .035 wire for the heavier welding, say on the frame rails or the tunnel on a beetle. the ket to a good weld is bright shiny steel for your weld, grind your weld area to bare shiny steel. Rust will burn and pop. Paint, oil or other contaminants will make a messy weld as well. Buy your welder from a welding supply co. not sears or a box store. You will have follow up questions after the sale and a Sears or box store will just look at you funny when you have questions.

Hippie used to weld for a living, so he would know the techniques for welding that a beginner at home without a teacher, wouldn't even know what question to ask.

No offense intended Hippie. I love having a welder. I can go a year without breaking it out, but like my oxy acetyline torch I love having it when I need it. A welder,torch and air compressor are probably a once in a lifetime purchase for a home hobby mechanic, choose wisely.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.