YIKES! What floor?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

YIKES! What floor?

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Looks like things are starting to get a bit critical with Bertha's floor on the driver's side.

[albumimg]1531[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1534[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1532[/albumimg]

Beyond POR 15? Time to learn to weld.

Please let me know what you think. There must be replacement metal available somewhere. Used?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm

It just so happens that as I was browsing thesamba classifieds looking for fuel injection parts in the Southwest earlier today I saw this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=425100

A search for "floor" in the bay window bus parts section turned up a number of other floor pieces too.

Good luck with that! I had a jeep with a floor like that once and I could feel it wanting to give out every time I stepped on it.
Finally feels almost like a bus ought to feel!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Cool, thanks.

Are all the bay floors the same? Mine's a '70.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:16 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Cool, thanks.

Are all the bay floors the same? Mine's a '70.

neal
Up to '73. In '73, VW moved the step indoors, so the floor pan has cut-outs near the door opening. I never utilized these indoor steps, my front speakers sit right over them and I continue to vault into my VW with gusto.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:41 pm

In case even that is too spendy for ya, there is an abundant source of rust-free un-corrodable material - literally on the side of the road - that you can use.

This is just one of many examples:

:geek:

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:44 am

If you're not too worried you can always either weld a patch in or cover the area with that fiberglass patch kit. If you want to keep everything stock ya gotta get a decent replacement piece welded in.
I check for rust spots every year and rustproof with POR15 or whatever, it just never stops. Even little chips can get out of hand if left for too long, epecially in the floors and "wet spots".
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:49 am

MeyerII wrote:In case even that is too spendy for ya, there is an abundant source of rust-free un-corrodable material - literally on the side of the road - that you can use.
:geek:  
You have been demoted to IAC Level 7:
Hill-Billy Who Drives A Rusted-Out Monte Carlo With Coconut Air Freshener Trying To Hide The Damp Wet Dog Smelling Carpet Hiding The Speed Limit Sign Floorboard
:king:

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:01 am

Water heater skin. Easy to work with. Used one for a roof section for years. :thumbleft:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:26 pm

I'm not finding anything on the Samba today. ArizonaZack linked me to a floor out of a '77, but it has the cut-outs for the step, and mine doesn't.

I've never dealt with a fiberglass repair kit. I'd like to do it right, but maybe I should patch it for now, learn to weld and such. The dogleg might need replacing, too.

[albumimg]1531[/albumimg]

The ridge is rusted away there. Go Westy had no body parts. Bus Depot looks like they have them, although the photo for the panel for '72 and later looks like there is no cut-out for the step. Confusion.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:05 pm

ruckman101 wrote: The ridge is rusted away there. Go Westy had no body parts. Bus Depot looks like they have them, although the photo for the panel for '72 and later looks like there is no cut-out for the step. Confusion.
You have nothing to lose. Spray rust-catalyze-prime the whole floor very thoroughly underneath and above. 24 hours to dry. Top-coat with (may I suggest red) a decent engine enamel up top and very thoroughly down below. 24 hours to dry. Now join me in a grossly hick application of an entire tube of red RTV over the small holes. Get your Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil and tear off a big enough piece that you can fold it at least four or five or six or seven or eight times and still be able to cover the big holes with an overlap of about an inch. Smear a nice bead of RTV around the perimeter of the big holes. Place your Kustom-Fit Foil patch over the RTV perimeter bead. Allow to cure overnight. Make a new top side perimeter seal over the outside inch of foil and out onto the painted surface an inch. Smear it smooth and don't harrass it once it begins to set. Go under the bus and make sure you have a weatherproof RTV seal between the floor of the car and the aluminum foil. Next day you apply a couple of coats of Rubberized undercoat. Lay down your cleaned floor mat. Now you have an official IAC floor patch job and I dare anyone who has ever seen my bus to know where the patch is that I had to put in in 1992 so my passengers would no longer see and hear the road rushing under the car. Your photographs do suggest a proper repair is in order at your leisure.
Col. HackPatch

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote: You have nothing to lose. Spray rust-catalyze-prime the whole floor very thoroughly underneath and above. 24 hours to dry. Top-coat with (may I suggest red) a decent engine enamel up top and very thoroughly down.
Col. HackPatch
That was very funny and inspirational at the same time. I'm going to do this with my floor holes.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Hey Neal, here is my new best friend of a vendor:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 11801051KX

I need to weld some pieces in on Bill as well (check out Klassic Fab as well, I hear the panels fit better). Colin's method will work and stop the cancer for now.

I am seriously looking into buying a MIG welder and the equipment to weld in 2 rockers and a small floor section (by cargo doors) on Bill and the battery trays on spiffy. If I do go this way, I would be glad to help you out and get that piece patched in.

After all....it's just like caulking, but with hot metal....grind it down, primer and paint...can't be that hard to do.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 am

I would say it's a bit more difficult than cauking to get a good weld. Not that hard, but there is technique and theory behind it all. Do some reading up, there are different systems out there and you do need proper equipment to protect your body from all the heat and radiation, not to mention the right tools like clamps to do the job right. It's also a little more difficult to get a good weld with thinner material like sheet steel but with practice it can be done!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:48 am

Neal, you can alos try a method that Jasan told me about....

Go get the Bondo brand fiberglass mat (home depot has it for $6, and there is enought for a lifetime) and then get yerself the SMALL can (unless you have other areas to do) of POR 15. Clean the area (don't use any naval jelly or other rust inhibitors...the POR doesn't like that) and then lay down a good slathering of POR, lay down your fiberglass and then dab in more POR over the top of it until it is saturated.

Wait 3-5 hours (better to wait overnight) and then do a second coat of POR. Let dry and then primer and paint.

The fiberglass and the POR end up being solid as a rock, I just did this to a few spots on the new bus and it works well.

The downside: By the time you buy the POR and the fiberglass you will have spent a little more then half of what it would have cost to buy the repair panel......

I still say weldin' would be an easy thing to learn.....hell, if ya mess up, just grind it down and start over.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:10 am

A mig welder is a godsend and yes very easy to learn....I bought a miller 175 a few years ago and my vehicle repairs have gone up 10 fold in quality and durability....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.