rear defrost - repurpose?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

rear defrost - repurpose?

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:56 am

It's not really an electrical question exactly (more of a bay question) which is why I posted here.
Well, my rear defrost is shot. The little lines that run over the glass are completely worn, (beyond repair, really - there are sections a foot long that are worn off) BUT... the switch and everything work just fine now. Which got me thinking - now I've got a 12v line running to the back of the bus that is conveniently turned on and off with the defrost switch.

Any suggestion what I could use that for? There must ve something more interesting out there than just putting a 12v cooler back there. I figured I'd wire up a socket and then I could turn it on and off remotely. If I ever get the deforst working, I can just pop the wire back on in the winter. (not that I need it in this climate)
Love your bus.

77 Westy

thisistheshortestusername
I'm New!

Post by thisistheshortestusername » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:15 am

You can always put a 12v to 110v converter back there. I've seen them as cheap as $30 now days. Then you can run appliances, stereos, comptuers, DVD players or whatever back there. Or put a neon sign that says "Bush Sucks" in the rear window.

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 pm

you could get a "new" used hatch door that has the defrost in good shape and just plug it in.
not as sexy as a 12v appliance in the back, but you may thank yourself come winter.
1977 VW Westfalia Campmobile
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:43 pm

I never use the back window anyway so I would do the inverter thing, or a little sign that lights up to kindly inform people: ANTI-TAILGATE MINES ARMED
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm

My vote is for the cooler to keep the beer cold. They say the defroster will keep your hands warm when pushing, but I advise pushing on something metal and NOT on the glass. I've pushed my bus many times; some times to see if I could do it. Makes for a great work out.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 pm

heres an idea for a great work-out; gain an extra hundred pounds - run around- rest- repeat.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 pm

Careful about using that switch IIRC it's not a true toggle (on/off) but more of a potentiometer. Also, you don't want to run too many amps through it. Besides, the battery's already back there... and didn't you say you were going to install a second? Use that as your power source, and don't forget to install a fuse as close to the battery positive as you can.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:05 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Careful about using that switch IIRC it's not a true toggle (on/off) but more of a potentiometer. Also, you don't want to run too many amps through it. Besides, the battery's already back there... and didn't you say you were going to install a second? Use that as your power source, and don't forget to install a fuse as close to the battery positive as you can.
-John
hmm. Can you explain how it's 'more' of a potentiometer? My limited knowledge of potentiometers is that they are like dimmer switches, no? Whereas this is a simple push-pull switch. I think I'm confused what a potentiometer is then...
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:19 pm

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:Careful about using that switch IIRC it's not a true toggle (on/off) but more of a potentiometer. Also, you don't want to run too many amps through it. Besides, the battery's already back there... and didn't you say you were going to install a second? Use that as your power source, and don't forget to install a fuse as close to the battery positive as you can.
-John
hmm. Can you explain how it's 'more' of a potentiometer? My limited knowledge of potentiometers is that they are like dimmer switches, no? Whereas this is a simple push-pull switch. I think I'm confused what a potentiometer is then...
Like a pot, I think it has a somewhat variable output. Just don't use it as an on off switch. Better to use a true toggle and a relay if you're going to drive anything with big power needs.
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:31 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Like a pot, I think it has a somewhat variable output. Just don't use it as an on off switch. Better to use a true toggle and a relay if you're going to drive anything with big power needs.
really? you can adjust the rear defrost? I always thought it was on or off. (current to the grid, or no current to the grid) is there a way to adjust the output?
Love your bus.

77 Westy

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Put a twelve volt receptacle back there, for your brand new 12 volt blender. MMMMM frozen Mudslides.
Haven't had a drink in a while but I remember!

Bill

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:07 pm

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:Like a pot, I think it has a somewhat variable output. Just don't use it as an on off switch. Better to use a true toggle and a relay if you're going to drive anything with big power needs.
really? you can adjust the rear defrost? I always thought it was on or off. (current to the grid, or no current to the grid) is there a way to adjust the output?
Not exactly... just somewhere in the purple haze of my memory I remember something to the effect that it's not a true toggle... I read it somewhere, I think. Get a dome light switch from an early bay, mount it on your dash and use it instead. That is a true toggle and it keeps the stock look of the dash switches. Sorry I don't have a more definative answer for you.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:14 pm

cool! thanks!
Love your bus.

77 Westy