Indiana Engine . . . Saturday/Sunday

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Indiana Engine . . . Saturday/Sunday

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:13 am

Ryan. Thank you. You are a tribute to all that is best about this hobby and these cars.

OK. This teardown/rebuild took 48 hours of actual mechanicking/painting time spread out over 96 hours of 90* + humidity + two small floods from heavy rain.

12:15PM on Saturday. Sort of like an athletic event, you have to psyche yourself up. The box has the gasket kit and cam bearings and the envelope above my head has the new cam gear expressed down from Toronto by German Supply Scott.

2:20PM, the engine has been stripped down to the longblock.

Occasionally you get visitors that you just can't ignore.

It is 7:10PM and the heads/oil cooler/manifolds have been inspected on the bench, this is the shortblock remaining in the car.

At 8:40PM the case is ready to get split, anticipation is rising, what has been going on in there with all of that clattering racket?

At 9:40PM, I am glad to see a clean inside-the-crankcase, but still, the cam gear is patterned like Sahara dunes, whoa lots of endplay, like .013" worth, well over double the wear limit. The crankshaft is enjoying a sloshy .008" endplay, .002" of that was from the thrust bearing moving in its saddle. Ouch, the backing is shiny from movement against the case.

It is 1:40AM on 7/15 here, time to turn in.

Sunday morning, we have an issue with the new cam gear. The rivets were drilled out to separate it from its shaft in Canada, and the shoulders have been chewed out past any hope of indexing our step-drillbit. So the trite little goal of a 48 hour start-to-end bites the dust. . . we're looking for a machine shop Monday morning to save this thing. Fair enough, more time to clean and paint! Here's the pistons and cylinders at just past noon after a light cleaning.

Ryan got to see some more of that hack-razorblade treatment of the left cylinder head spigots. They did fine with the Air-Cooled.Net copper shims from last summer, but I could see some room for improvement, so out came the razorblade, Itinerant Scissorhands. . . .

By 3:30PM, the valves are being removed, decarbonised, measured for stretch, and treated to an aggressive valve lapping to the seats. You have to clean this lapping compound out soooo carefully. . . the guides have opened up a bit from all of my high speed driving, but the swivel-foot adjusters have been helpful.

At 4:00, I am posing for a Valve Job Hack Style portrait. There are a thousand and one little notes being stored in my flagging brain.

Last "Sunday" picture is actually early Monday, 12:22AM actually, with the clutch components all sanded and cleaned and ready for assembly. The pilot bearing was extrememly happy to see some attention, it had dried out since my last visit in August 2003.

OK, for any poor dial-up users, I will post the Monday/Tuesday pictures in another post.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 am

Awesome stuff!

I see the basketball - did Ryan challenge you to a little game of one on one?

Basketball is king in Indiana, ya know.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 am

Sounds like a marathon run.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm

poptop tom wrote:Awesome stuff!

Let me tell you, Colin is a baller- we played a quick basketball game and it wasn't even close, he was dunkin' all over the place, yo! He has mad skills on the court and in the engine bay!

Tribute to Hoosiers!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:43 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Awesome stuff!

Let me tell you, Colin is a baller- we played a quick basketball game and it wasn't even close, he was dunkin' all over the place, yo! He has mad skills on the court and in the engine bay!

Tribute to Hoosiers!
Lessee, dunked a can or was it 85 cans? of Diet Coke, stuffed a run-over quart of Castrol, dribbled an oil cooler all across your floor, did a mid-court shadow shot of painted heater boxes, and then did a foul shot of 13mm wrench right into the "basket" of used oil, yeah, mad skills. . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles