Welding Seatbelt Receivers

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Welding Seatbelt Receivers

Post by DurocShark » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:33 am

I decided to go ahead and weld the old receivers to my new retractable ones to get the extra 10" or so of length. I almost forgot to take pics, so they pick up from after welding is done.

I have a crappy $60 120v arc welder, and have no skills, so the welds are sloppy. But solid!

I cut the rivet off the head from the old receiver and ended up with just a steel bar. I hit both the new receiver end and the old one that is getting welded on with a grinder to expose bare steel for the welds. I started by welding inside the holes, then around the edges.

After cleaning them up with a wire wheel and some soap and water they're ready for the covers.

I used some scrap pieces of the green vinyl I'm using for the upholstery of the bus. I sewed them inside out and then turned them rightside out.

Then I just slid them over the receivers. I didn't think to finish the edges before sewing the long seam, so I just folded the ends over and put a dab of glue. Looks fine.

Here's a pic in the bus. (Seat stand covers are coming!)

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:08 pm

good job, my wife has put me up to the task of going retractable.....a few choice words at them and my want for her to camping with me are enough to have got this project on the list.......I won't know what to do if I can't 'hang' up my seat belts.....
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 pm

Nice! I guess I got lucky. I bought a set off a guy on e-Bay. He said he had them custom made for a Bay. They fit perfectly. But I have no idea who made them.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:48 pm

Heesh, how short are the belts that you needed to put the recievers that high? What'd those come out of again?

The recievers on my Vanagon belts are a little on the low side, but there's plenty of length in the belt itself so it's never been an issue.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:59 am

They came out of a Jetta. The receivers in that car were just a bit lower than I made mine.

The junkyard didn't have anything else I was interested in pulling the belts from.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:26 pm

Oh man, I'm jealous. Still fiddling with those non-retractable aircraft style buckles.
That was a creative adaptation.
Rob