81 Vanagon, oil loss.....

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vanagonvw
Getting Hooked!

Post by vanagonvw » Thu May 17, 2007 8:30 am

Bleyseng wrote: You state that it doesn't leak oil so with that mileage has to be going past the rings and valves into the combustion chamber and burnt. There is no seal to repair to stop this.
Drive it till it dies..
No chance that some of it is lost through blow-by, out the main, or other type of seals?

Given the gas mileage, emissions test results, condition of the spark plugs, and utter lack of -any- visible smoke, maybe I should donate the engine to a museum, as an example of its failure to follow the laws of logic and reason? :-)

I still believe its a combination of several things. To be able to cut back on one, would help immensely. That is all I could hope for, lacking the funds to replace it.

Thanks,

John

vanagonvw
Getting Hooked!

Post by vanagonvw » Thu May 17, 2007 8:34 am

Amskeptic wrote:
And plant two trees to displace the additional carbon. . . :flower:
Good advice :-)

As an aside, I plant lots of trees every place I live. I put two trees in my front yard, years ago. They are now over 60 feet high, and have completely destroyed the concrete pads of my driveway and sidewalks, with their incessant search for moisture, by some incredibly strong roots.. :-(

It ain't easy being green!

John

vanagonvw
Getting Hooked!

Post by vanagonvw » Thu May 17, 2007 8:36 am

Bleyseng wrote:
bottomend wrote:
You can start collecting the parts for a nice rebuild that will run you about $1500 total and by the time the money is ready,
Drive it till it dies..
Until I figure out how to rebuild it that cheaply , I have to admit, that is the plan. Of course, when the cost of putting oil in it, exceeds the cost of the gas, I may have to rethink it <g>

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu May 17, 2007 9:38 am

vanagonvw wrote:It ain't easy being green!
:kermit:
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Fri May 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote: Drive it till it dies..
And plant two trees to displace the additional carbon. . . :flower:
He meant to write TWO TREES AN HOUR to compensate for your brown billowing bear of a box. :violent3:

scruffy
I'm New!

Bottomend just described EVERY deadhead van I've EVER seen!

Post by scruffy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Hey Bottomend,
You just described every, single, solitary, ageing hippie/Deadhead van I have ever seen!

Strop
I'm New!

Post by Strop » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:00 pm

bottomend wrote:I disagree with the above statements. I think it's not right that an engine burn so much oil. The thing wasn't designed to consume at this level and it's taxing to the environment.

By encouraging this fellow to run an engine with such high consumption rates you're not doing anyone any favors. It only sets out to prove the point that the engine will " technically" keep running but at what cost?

My vote; it's time to rebuild, and the sooner the better.
He is doing himself a favor by not having to tear into his engine if not completely necessary. Also, ....the environment will not suffer any damage.