Pop top linkage rollers

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Big Mac
I'm New!

Pop top linkage rollers

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:14 am

I'm new to this site as I have just starting working on a 70 riviera bus for as friend. The problem is the little plastic rollers in the pop top linkage have deteriorated. I can't seem to find anyone that offers replacements, does anyone know if they are available? or has someone MacGyvered a work around for them?

Also when replacing the canvas (it's the small, push straight up top) is it pretty straightforward task? or is there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I appreciate any thoughts...

Happy New Year to you all!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Pop top linkage rollers

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:49 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:14 am
I'm new to this site as I have just starting working on a 70 riviera bus for as friend. The problem is the little plastic rollers in the pop top linkage have deteriorated. I can't seem to find anyone that offers replacements, does anyone know if they are available? or has someone MacGyvered a work around for them?

Also when replacing the canvas (it's the small, push straight up top) is it pretty straightforward task? or is there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I appreciate any thoughts...

Happy New Year to you all!

I am not familiar with the actual mechanics of the Riviera rollers. Do consider, however, that many window winders use a scissors style lift with rollers. Ford Mustang comes to mind (my Lexus LS400 also uses plastic wheels inside of aluminum slots ...).

Canvas always has pitfalls. Ask Ruckman101 here, I think he did a Riviera canvas.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:54 pm

McMaster-Carr sp? may carry plastic items or wheels. I just checked BusDepot.com has Riviera canvas.

https://www.busdepot.com/details/canvas/

ASI/Riviera and Country Homes Canvas

If you have one of these rare campers with the "straight-up" penthouse style poptops, we have the replacement canvas you need - made by the original factory and cut from the original patterns. The stock color is yellow for the Rivieras or white for the Country Homes. However we can provide either style in either color. This canvas is made to order and takes about 3 weeks to ship.

Happy New (Better) Year to all...
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

andrewtf
I'm New!

Post by andrewtf » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 am

Sorry to step in in the middle of this thread, but look here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ra+pop+top

Emma - of Go Big Emma - put together a very comprehensive report of restoring her Riviera pop top and it includes a link to new rollers.

Please note that the new rollers are ever so slightly smaller in diameter and depth so they 'feel' loose. But they work properly. All in all these rollers work, but other rollers might be preferable, if there are any.....................

Andrew