Carb Upgrade - from Single to Duals

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Re: Carb Upgrade - from Single to Duals

Post by BusBassist » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Where is this vacuum line going? As far as I know, no progressive carb has ever been improved by the addition of vacuum retard.
This hose is currently capped off. Colin had me plug this and the other hose.
Carb delivery is on hiatus. When I showed up, the good soul was cussing like a sailor at the new Progressive. He kept the Solexes for now, but will ship if he has an epiphany. My apologies.
No worries. I have two sets and should be able to put one good set together. Am hoping to help my neighbor (Judahthedog) put a set together for his ‘73 auto trans bus so we’ll keep looking. If something changes with your customer, let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Post by xyzzy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 am

When you send the carbs to Volkzbitz and get them back, make sure before you install them that you verify all the mating surfaces are flat, the needle valves work correctly (NOS ones available on Ebay, the aftermarket ones are junk) and the float is correct 12-14mm.

If you end up having to file the mating surfaces, you may need to create a thicker gasket to get the float correct. Don't even try to bend the metal tab on the floats.
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:34 am

I can attest that two different aftermarket needle valves this month have given less than stellar results in my experience. Both were on dual Solexes, one bus one Type 3. Is there a list of part numbers for those needle valves somewhere?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:58 pm

As of yet, I have not been able to find a schematic drawing of the dual carbs with their various parts. Colin’s write up shows them installed on the engine (including the other components of the system) but I still want to see drawings of the actual carb, throttle body, etc.

I also did a quick eBay search for needle valves and came up short. Will continue to search.

JC

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:17 am

If I had the time and the tools, Jeff, I could do an installation guide. You are not conducting an installation as we speak, correct?
Colin

(p.s. I read something about filing and making gaskets, and I want to hasten to warn you not to do that. Rely on Volksbitz to have all carburetor components properly fitted with properly indexed gaskets that line up all the holes correctly. Maybe he will even supply you with properly functioning needle valves, I don't know, back in the old days, we used to assume basic functionality ... )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 pm

If I had the time and the tools, Jeff, I could do an installation guide. You are not conducting an installation as we speak, correct?
Colin
No installation at this time Colin. I'm 900 miles from home for another couple of weeks. My plan is to prep for our appointment in the 2020 lap and install then. Though I have the carbs and components, I don't consider them ready for use or installation.

Just trying to learn more about how they work.

Jeff

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 am

Carburetors can be easily disassembled, if you note carefully where each part goes. Most parts will only go back one way, but some can be reversed if you're not careful. With a disassembled carb, you can spray GumOut through any passage to see where it goes. (Eye protection recommended.)

The PDSIT carbs are wonderful mazes of vacuum and fuel passages that funnel fuel right through several gaskets/junctions into other parts of the carbs, hence why the correct gaskets are so important. (One time I found a gasket that had some "hair" hanging off it, blocking a vacuum advance port, and causing all kinds of drivability issues. It came right out of a rebuild kit.)

I am not convinced the new needle valves are any good at all; I'm 2-for-2 in Walker and Royze rebuild kits flooding out my Type 1 engines. Your Type 4 milage may vary.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Post by xyzzy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:05 pm

I posted some nice cut away diagrams in my thread...

---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm

Thank You. The drawings are very helpful - I’ll have to brush up on my German.

Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 am

BusBassist wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm
Thank You. The drawings are very helpful - I’ll have to brush up on my German.

Jeff
Read this too. Transition ports and emulsion tubes especially:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Thank You Colin.

JC