The Day The BobD Died Again

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Day The BobD Died Again

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:24 pm
“60mph sustained, gusting to 90”. That’s what the ranger said when he walked around checking in the campers at Texas Spring, DV, last spring. It blew for 14 hours, bending the flagpole at Furnace Creek, and breaking the 6 x 6 support posts for several road signs in the park. I was huddled in the upper berth of a ‘87 Vanagon, which shook like a jet in heavy turbulance all night. We survived all right, but a lot of tents were flattened, and some RV’s damaged. A rough blow!
Did you all move the Vanagon headfirst into the wind where the aerodynamics are up for a 60-90 mph highway breeze?
Colin

(2347)
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12127#p208703

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu May 10, 2018 12:33 am

Did you all move the Vanagon headfirst into the wind where the aerodynamics are up for a 60-90 mph highway breeze?
Colin
No, we did not move it. The top remained up, and the Fiberglas roof was not forceably ripped from the vehicle, as I feared might occur, several times during the blow. We were in perhaps the best, and most protected campsite in Texas Springs campground. I read your above linked article about the winds there in New Mexico, with a hazy Shiprock in the background of one of the pictures. You mention Cortez. The good people of Cortez have built themselves a magnificent community center in town, complete with gym, library, internet connection, and HOT SHOWERS. They welcome you, fellow road traveler, to come and use the place, and get CLEAN, for a very small sum, I think it was two bucks. It made our day, when we stopped by there. Great, hospitable, people staff the center, and it’s like coming home.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu May 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm
Geezus. Channeling Ansel Adams? Paul Caponegro? Goddam gorgeous.
Everything I am, I owe to Google Maps, Mercedes Benz and Adobe Photoshop. :cheers:

Thanks for the kudos. :salute:

At Dante's View one night, I experienced some of DVNP's lethal winds. I got up in the middle of a sleepless night and, naked, swung Frito around bow-first into the wind. Didn't help a bit. The noise and buffeting sounded like an axe-murderer was outside, trying to get me.
All effing NIGHT. :argue:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am

this inspires me to replace my headliner/ window rubber/ chrome (plastic) pieces.

Say- how do we post photos on here these days?

and Colin- how's come only a goatee? Full beard, man!

Great thread, but how is the person, Bob D? Anyone know? Pretty sure he sent me seat pads (horse hair) in the past.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 am

VWBusrepairman wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am
this inspires me to replace my headliner/ window rubber/ chrome (plastic) pieces.

Say- how do we post photos on here these days?

and Colin- how's come only a goatee? Full beard, man!

Great thread, but how is the person, Bob D? Anyone know? Pretty sure he sent me seat pads (horse hair) in the past.

I am afraid to inquire . . . but at last communication, Bob was saddled with serious health issues. I will shoot him an email.
Colin

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 am

I am afraid to inquire . . . but at last communication, Bob was saddled with serious health issues. I will shoot him an email.
Colin
Hope he is doing well.

that is another reason we must speak this year. I had a near miss in 2016 and the thought of my VW collection going to just anyone was probably what kept me alive and kicking. the ex must get nothing more of mine. Ever.

It's time to draw up a will so there is no bickering over cars. And I'd like to see the BobD bus sitting on my asphalt drive.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 am

Colin, still on track for a night of June 26 meetup somewhere E of Lewiston, ID?
Me just back from a 6094 mile round trip to DC in Frito. Awesome time of year for it. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:07 am

glasseye wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 am
Colin, still on track for a night of June 26 meetup somewhere E of Lewiston, ID?
Me just back from a 6094 mile round trip to DC in Frito. Awesome time of year for it. :cheers:

I hope so. I respond well to PM nagging. The information parade in my brain is rife with the confetti of forgotten promises. Keep at it.
ColinInTracyCA

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I respond well to PM nagging.

Got it. :cyclopsani: