Vanalert.com?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Vanalert.com?

Post by appetite » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone ever heard of an app/website called Vanalert.com? Looks like a beefed up version of the old AIRS list from type2.com.

Someone left the company's business card on my Jeep, parked in front of my house. The bus is in the garage for the winter, so its kind of creepy that someone knows that a VW bus lives here.

Although, there's so few of them around, perhaps I am the entire market for such a service here in NJ!

Just curious...

James

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Re: Vanalert.com?

Post by appetite » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:31 pm

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Post by russwiththebus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:30 am

I use it. Though not entirely perfect, it's a neat app. It's mostly for Vanagons but he's expanded it for buses, too.

Could be useful for traveling and you need a place to camp or need to locate a shop. A friend of mine listed his house as a place to driveway camp and he's had a couple of people coming through town and they found him through the app and stayed a night.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:20 am

seems useful, but i followed the guy on instagram and, despite the fact that, i too, find women attractive, i find posts like this creepy: https://instagram.com/p/BX8cfQ-ByA8/
he does those a fair bit and when called out on it, he says “if you don’t like it, leave, cause they’re gonna keep on happening.” you’re on the wrong side of history, guy. unsub.
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks for sharing
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:41 pm

chachi wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:20 am
seems useful, but i followed the guy on instagram and, despite the fact that, i too, find women attractive, i find posts like this creepy
he says “if you don’t like it, leave, cause they’re gonna keep on happening.”
you’re on the wrong side of history, guy. unsub.

Many many many of our fellow journeyers are on the wrong side or the way behind side of history, and we just do exactly what you did (unsub), or jump on in . . . like every damn VW mag since forever.

Me? I prefer to celebrate the great gifts from God one at a time.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 am

not sure what you’re saying there, colin.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 am

chachi wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 am
not sure what you’re saying there, colin.
Crap. It is getting harder and harder to communicate.
So, I will ask you to guess what I was saying, then I will know where I screwed up.
Colin

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 am

again, i get that hetero men think women are attractive. we hear all about it, all the time. every def leppard video, every ”american pie”-esque movie francise, all of culture has been catering to the hetero male agenda since there was culture, men have enforced it. this guy too, “it’s my right to objectify women.” but you look at that photo above, every single person in that photo is someone who has a history, a family, dreams, goals, and might even own a vw bus. implying that you don’t even care which of them you want to have sex with, and that they’re there just for you to decide which of them you want to have sex with, and that for some reason this has ANYTHING to do with the kind of car someone drives is the kind of thing people aren’t going to put up with anymore. you are right that this kind of thing has been going on since the beginning of car culture. but if you had a daughter or a son splayed out on a bus in their underwear and some creep in texas was snarkily joking about putting “hard miles” on them, would you dismiss it away? “locker room talk”? it’s not enough to say that this has always gone on and that getting mad and just not consuming that culture is sufficient. i don’t speak for you or anyone here but for me, i will openly defy this from now on and hope that you can see the parallels between this kind of behavior and the political administration we now find ourselves oppressed and embarassed by. i fully expect that a post like this does not fit your tight censorship of this site or that at minimum it is not in the right forum but ask yourself how many times you’ve seen this kind of behvior, as you allude to, and consider aligning yourself and this messagebord with the people who want to glorify and rescue the vehicles we came here for without getting their libidos involved. if it’s just the plurality of the specific instagram post you take issue with, please take a second to cruise his feed and note how many of these posts there are that are just single women, calling to mind a true predator who doesn’t even have to single out their prey. that this app purports to give a van owner a sense of safety beyond what they had without it is especially ironic.

it is your right to take whatever stance you want to take on this, your business website. i have never hired you nor given you any money of any kind. you owe me nothing and sweeping this under the rug will not lose you anything. but i think you are an intelligent person who looks at the big picture. that is really all i’m asking of anyone here, think about the choices you make.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:01 pm

chachi wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 am
again, i get that hetero men think women are attractive. we hear all about it, all the time. every def leppard video, every ”american pie”-esque movie francise, all of culture has been catering to the hetero male agenda since there was culture, men have enforced it. this guy too, “it’s my right to objectify women.” but you look at that photo above, every single person in that photo is someone who has a history, a family, dreams, goals, and might even own a vw bus. implying that you don’t even care which of them you want to have sex with, and that they’re there just for you to decide which of them you want to have sex with, and that for some reason this has ANYTHING to do with the kind of car someone drives is the kind of thing people aren’t going to put up with anymore. you are right that this kind of thing has been going on since the beginning of car culture. but if you had a daughter or a son splayed out on a bus in their underwear and some creep in texas was snarkily joking about putting “hard miles” on them, would you dismiss it away? “locker room talk”? it’s not enough to say that this has always gone on and that getting mad and just not consuming that culture is sufficient. i don’t speak for you or anyone here but for me, i will openly defy this from now on and hope that you can see the parallels between this kind of behavior and the political administration we now find ourselves oppressed and embarassed by. i fully expect that a post like this does not fit your tight censorship of this site or that at minimum it is not in the right forum but ask yourself how many times you’ve seen this kind of behvior, as you allude to, and consider aligning yourself and this messagebord with the people who want to glorify and rescue the vehicles we came here for without getting their libidos involved. if it’s just the plurality of the specific instagram post you take issue with, please take a second to cruise his feed and note how many of these posts there are that are just single women, calling to mind a true predator who doesn’t even have to single out their prey. that this app purports to give a van owner a sense of safety beyond what they had without it is especially ironic.

it is your right to take whatever stance you want to take on this, your business website. i have never hired you nor given you any money of any kind. you owe me nothing and sweeping this under the rug will not lose you anything. but i think you are an intelligent person who looks at the big picture. that is really all i’m asking of anyone here, think about the choices you make.

I just deleted a tortured reply to your post here, but I am opening up the question to anyone who wants to answer:

"Today is my birthday and all I'd like is one of these fine specimens... I don't even care which color... so long as it's a '67 Deluxe 13 Window Bus."

Was he doing a double-entendre? I read it as "I would love a VW bus so long as it is a '67 Deluxe."

As for what is going on in our culture, I hope you appreciate that I have kept this forum free of the trashy objectification of women using my "tight censorship" to delete innumerable third party or generic photographs that people like to stick in their posts. I normally respond to those who have experienced my deletions with "the rules" which actually exist here, "no third party or generic photographs" unless they specifically further efforts to teach or show.

I do not know, chachi, if you were asking me to make a stand, take a stand, stand up against that photograph of women surrounding that bus. Were you?

I'll keep it vague here, but I have a long history of fighting misogyny, sexism, abuse, cock-strutting roosters, stupid car magazine photographs with busty women splayed all over the hood, child abuse, child disrespect, dog disrespect, trashy appeals to libido, and I am involved this very day in mounting a spirited defense against the boorish repulsive behavior of our president by doing my part to execute a massive flush of this current sorry state of idiocy in our national and international affairs come November. Count on it.
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:02 pm

I dunno, more cheesy than creepy imho.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 am

i was probably caught up in the moment and more passionate than i needed to be about all this. and yes colin, i have always seen you as on the side of all of those things. this is almost assuredly not the place for this complaint, as the samba felt it was also not the place for such things. *shrugs* i don’t know where the place is. maybe it’s all not as bad as all that, but this kinda stuff goes on and on, cheesy or creepy, and i just felt done with it. i don’t really supect abel to be a sexual predator, i’m sure these people all agreed to be photographed, but the thin veil of plausible deniability, “oh i’m just talking about the cars...you misunderstood” is maybe a funny joke once but over and over...i dunno. i’m just done with macho sexist car culture. sorry if i went too far.