Wdollie6 Bus Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Wdollie6 Bus Thread

Post by asiab3 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 am

Ah, you found the first AND third rules of troubleshooting! :pirate:
1) Try the easiest thing first.
2) Don't trust the person who worked on it before you if they were not able to fix the problem.
3) Most issues are caused by a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

A lot of modern battery chargers will show "bad battery" if the voltage is below a certain threshold. Connecting two batteries together in parallel will trick the charger into allowing the dead battery to accept a charge. Funny, because the battery chargers are usually made by the same people that want to sell you a new battery…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 am

The Fatboy chronicles continue. On the way to our new, local brew pub (within three miles on a dirt road) with my TX brother and nephew from CA, discovered bucking/surging and a lack of power to traverse the hills, 3rd gear hills turned into 2nd, 2nd to 1st... and so on. So as expected we finished the adventure and enjoyed a few beverages, what else could I do with such a diverse crowd.

The following day evaluated the situation always thinking about worse case. Pulled distributor cap wires, one by one, #4 the culprit, nephew was not impressed that I did it with my bare hand but no worse for the wear. Not a fuel issue as #3 was running fine. Checked spark at cap, all good, checked spark at plug had spark, hmm. Pulled plug, plug was perfect color, gap was perfect, had spark to plug, hmmm.... At this point I am in panic mode as I am thinking valves/head issue, checked valves, they were spot on from where they were set last summer, no signs of trouble. So I pull out the as of yet unused compression test equipment and do a quick cold test on cylinder #4, 140 psi, okay, I think? Matches what I had on that cylinder originally, makes sense only driven Fatboy less than two thousand miles since rebuild.

At this point feel better about the valves but still scratching my head :scratch: . Son #2 drops by and suggests testing the wire resistance and compare to a know good one, tell him I already checked spark at all locations, not the issue. He insists, IT guys think they are more worldly than Engineers... turns out he is. The resistance in the #4 wire was very high, while I had spark at all the right locations the quality of the spark was poor. After rechecking spark at the cap, nice white/blue spark, at the plug an orange-ish/yellow weak spark. So I did what anyone would do to save face, told my son that I didn't have my glasses on at the time... he walked away saying "Sure, okay Pop."

New plug wires on order (assume other wires not far behind), should have by Wednesday. NAPA indicated that Belden are the best they offer, we shall see. By the way cut up the bad wire and found significant corrosion in the first two to three inches of the wire on the plug side. Disappointed as these were Bosch wires that were only a few years old.

Look forward to your visit on 6/2 Colin.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:03 am

Also should have mentioned that we did take a known good wire (low resistance) from # 2 and installed on #4 cylinder, #4 ran fine, although roughly at first. As I said new wires on the way.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:03 am
Also should have mentioned that we did take a known good wire (low resistance) from # 2 and installed on #4 cylinder, #4 ran fine, although roughly at first. As I said new wires on the way.
I hope there are good wires and proper resistance in the connectors. Tell Fatboy that ain't cool after all of your good work to torment you in front of friends and family.

The Road Warrior (in 1979) waited until my oldest sister was in the car (she had sniffed, "is it CLEAN?") to short its alternator B+ wire into full meltdown airplane cabin plastic fire and it burned the fuel hose halfway through. Good lord! how hard I did have to appear "nonchalant" "oh, it's nothing, just a little piece of plastic." Then it behaved perfectly for 24 years ...
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 am

As a follow up to Colin's extended visit last week, believe it or not we actually did accomplish a many great things on Fatboy.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13835&p=233072#p232974

The replacement of the rear torsion bushings, rear adjustments to correct what the "professional" alignment folks called good, adjusted brakes and while in the process freed up a frozen/rusted emergency brake (bolt was used vs. a proper pin with a clip). Front end was adjusted as well, will watch tire wear for the next 100 miles or so to determine what else may be necessary.

During the test drive Colin noticed that we still had a bucking/hesitation problem so insisted that we go through the process, valve adjustment, points, etc., ending with a check of the timing. During the points adjustment Colin indicated that something wasn't quite right with the distributor, too loose, vertically. Right again, found the culprit quickly, centrifugal advance did not exist, no movement of the strobe at all. Pulled out my rebuilt, backup distributor installed it and like magic everything returned to somewhat normal, still had a slight hesitation but ran great.

Since Colin was in Delhi for multiple days, I worked on other VW issues while he was on site, distracting him with questions far too often. These questions included discussions focused on the 66' Bug, enlightening me as to the value of the vehicle and potential repair/improvements related to finish; proper adhesives for headliner, etc. Also found that the original muffler (or at least the one that came with the car) is in need of replacement, any suggestions?

Again, my sincere apologies Colin as I feel like I might have been the cause of some of the "loss of control" of your engine re-assembly process. That being said I found that our conversations led to a deeper understanding of the mechanics of air cooled VWs, I appreciate your time and patience.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 am
As a follow up to Colin's extended visit last week, believe it or not we actually did accomplish a many great things on Fatboy.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13835#p232985

Again, my sincere apologies Colin as I feel like I might have been the cause of some of the "loss of control" of your engine re-assembly process. That being said I found that our conversations led to a deeper understanding of the mechanics of air cooled VWs, I appreciate your time and patience.
Wayne.
You. Were. A. Life. Saver.
Your hospitality was top-notch. Your understanding helped me hold it all together. And your offer to let me drive that gorgeous little bug was a salve to the soul.

Fatboy Update?
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 am

Fatboy is running the best ever, on Saturday delivered a Bride to be and Bridesmaids from Oneonta NY to a wedding venue on the Delaware River, he was the hit of the day (ugly as he may be...). I spent two days primping, touch up paint, etc., my wife thought I was nuts, probably so. No issues on the trip, 5 people in the car and he pulled up long hills in 3rd gear with no problems.

The only issues that I had was that the oil warning light no longer functioned and funky starts as compared to pre-adjustments. The oil light was related to the outlandishly long wire from the sensor to the harness connector, must have broken it at some point in the distributor debacle. I shorted the wire to make sure the light was working, it was, then cut the wire to the proper length, re-terminated and magically the light worked with keys on, problem solved.

The start issue is a little more complex. Prior to adjustments I was able to set the chokes by depressing the pedal twice, no longer can do that, have to feather the pedal as I am starting, then once running it will idle as expected. The chokes are still working as adjusted so that is not the issue. Wondering if I over adjusted the link on the left carb?

Overall I would say this is the best driving experience that I have had with Fatboy. As agreed I will check tire wear once I hit 100 miles, must be close at this point.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:41 am

Not was, were...

issue --- was
issues --- were

The older I get the more I wonder.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:55 am

Oh and forgot to mention that last week I was told about a garage sale that had a 72 White Standard Beetle, apparently I have become known as the local VW guy (good or bad?). The car was in okay shape with normal rust in floor pans (new ones stored in the car) and maybe a drivers side heater channel issue. Bumpers and fenders were solid, all original metal, bonus was that it came with the porcupine that lived where the fuel tank once resided (fuel tank also in car). The saddest thing was that the owner (2nd, father in law before him), had pulled off the air cleaner because he didn't want mice and such getting inside and ruining it. I explained to him that it was an oil bath cleaner no need to worry but unfortunately damage was done, engine would not turn over. Pointed out the vents above the carb on the engine lid, his only comment was "oh".

On the upside his father in law has a fully rebuilt 74 engine that I believe would slide right in (at his home in Northern Philly)? Is that the case? The other positive that it came with a bunch of OE parts, more to be picked up with the engine, apparently a pile.

Oh, yes I bought it for $500, most I've ever paid for a VW of any type (this will be #5, I know...). My nephew from CA who is spending the summer with us can learn a little bit about Air Cooled before he goes back to College.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 am

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:55 am
Oh and forgot to mention that last week I was told about a garage sale that had a 72 White Standard Beetle, apparently I have become known as the local VW guy (good or bad?). The car was in okay shape with normal rust in floor pans (new ones stored in the car) and maybe a drivers side heater channel issue. Bumpers and fenders were solid, all original metal, bonus was that it came with the porcupine that lived where the fuel tank once resided (fuel tank also in car). The saddest thing was that the owner (2nd, father in law before him), had pulled off the air cleaner because he didn't want mice and such getting inside and ruining it. I explained to him that it was an oil bath cleaner no need to worry but unfortunately damage was done, engine would not turn over. Pointed out the vents above the carb on the engine lid, his only comment was "oh".

On the upside his father in law has a fully rebuilt 74 engine that I believe would slide right in (at his home in Northern Philly)? Is that the case? The other positive that it came with a bunch of OE parts, more to be picked up with the engine, apparently a pile.

Oh, yes I bought it for $500, most I've ever paid for a VW of any type (this will be #5, I know...). My nephew from CA who is spending the summer with us can learn a little bit about Air Cooled before he goes back to College.
Let me get this straight ... you just bought a 1972 Beetle?
Colin
(NaranjaWesty @ 1,400 miles since we did the heads!)

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 am

Why yes, yes I did. Pictures will follow when I get a moment, new grand daughter, family reunion, etc. consuming all my time at this point.

Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders, too see if I can break pistons free? Supposedly engine was rebuilt prior to Beetle being sidelined in 2005, then time had its impact as it always does.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:16 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 am
Why yes, yes I did. Pictures will follow when I get a moment, new grand daughter, family reunion, etc. consuming all my time at this point.
The Len Hoffman heads say Hey to all of your family @ 3,437 miles.
Hello new granddaughter!
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 am

An update regarding the idle issue noted above. First I decided after dealing with the engine hesitating/misfiring (?) for far too long that I needed to replace my new NAPA brand wires with premium silicone wires from Bus Depot. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference they made, problems disappeared (wires appear to be mfg. in Canada). I also decided that it was time to change my oil in my air cleaner (its only been 3 years...). However, before I pulled the air cleaner out I discovered that the "finger off- finger on" hose had pulled off its nipple, not sure how long it had been like that but apparently long enough to create an ongoing idle issue.

Once the air cleaner oil was changed put it all back together and like magic everything was back to normal, consistent idle, minimal to no hesitation and great power. Back to fun motoring for whatever summer is left, 46 deg F this morning, strange for mid August.

Oh, as I was under the engine looking at my weep from the transmission I noticed that the drivers side rear shock bolt had never been reattached after our work in June, probably distracted by the infamous jack collapse issue. Strangely hadn't noticed that much of a difference in ride or handling, regardless reattached the shock and we are off and running.

Claire, new granddaughter doing great as is Mom, thanks for asking.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:43 am

Wow! Congratulations on the new granddaughter! Those pesky hoses! One of them played heck with me, on a long bus trip, back in ‘13. So, now you have three air-Cooled vehicles...small wonder you are known as the local VW guy. Those lower, late summer temps make me want to be back up in your neck of the woods; fall is my favorite time of the year there. Hope to see you next year, pal!

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Actually have 5 at this point.

72 Westy (somewhat restored?)
72 Super Beetle Convertible (running great in FL)
72 Beetle (not started with restore as of yet)
70 Fastback (still welding and grinding)
66 Beetle (running great in NY)

No more after these are done, no room at the inn.

Enjoy FL we will be back down in September for a few weeks. Maybe a Super Beetle road trip in store.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback