Wdollie6 Bus Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wdollie6
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New York

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 am

Some photos to go with verbiage:
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg
Photo 5.jpg
Photo 6.jpg
Photo 7.jpg
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 am

Well does the clutch assembly smell like sulfur (tranny oil) or engine oil? I would install a new Sabo main oil seal, new output seal, new clutch plate and clean clean everything else. Then sand the PP and flywheel, clean again. Check your end play and go from there.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:33 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 am
Well does the clutch assembly smell like sulfur (tranny oil) or engine oil? I would install a new Sabo main oil seal, new output seal, new clutch plate and clean clean everything else. Then sand the PP and flywheel, clean again. Check your end play and go from there.
X2 to this advise.

Clutch discs are not very expensive. Some folks have good results removing oil from the lining while others don't. Its way too much work to remove the engine and transmission to potentially have to go back and change a $50 dollar part.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for the input, plan is to do exactly as you say, replacing both seals including new fiber seal, cleaning/sanding/cleaning then checking end play and shimming accordingly. Since this engine only has 700-800 miles on it assuming end play hasn't changed but certainly worth the time to verify. I will also be replacing braided fuel lines, new a year or so ago, with Gates R9 while I have everything readily accessible.

While I didn't smell a strong sulfur smell, allergies, the smell was definitely not engine oil, thicker consistency as well.

To re-ask an earlier, probably ridiculous question, can the rear transmission seal (output seal?) be replaced without draining the tranny fluid? Also is the best way to remove with a pick or running some small screws into and pulling?
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:10 pm

You don't need to drain trans for the seal. You might lose a little but no big mess. If you look at where the fill plug is, that's the oil level. Screws and careful prying or ok. Just don't put a lot of force against the shaft as they can bend. Good luck, sounds like it's going pretty well.

wdollie6
Addicted!

Re: Wdollie6 Bus Thread

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

So after a two week business trip got back to the bus and completed the tasks at hand:

1. Replaced Engine Seal
2. Replaced Tranny Seal ( now there's a job, ended up using self tappers to pull it out)
3. Cleaned up the flywheel and clutch surfaces (per Colin's training in FL)
4. Greased the pilot bearing, estimated 1 gram!
5. Checked end play with seal out, removed shims, able to install same three shims to stay at .003
6. Installed new felt seal with a couple of drops of oil into flywheel and installed.
7. New clutch plate installed bolted up and torqued, used centering tool
8. Installed new guide and old, good throw out bearing
9. Changed fuel lines to Gates even though new braided hose used a year ago
9. Reinstalled engine, learned over many hours of frustration how important it is to have them on the same plane
10. Bent the cut-off solenoid on the right carb, no worky, another on order, tried old spares wrong size jets
11. Started engine rough idle as expected due to solenoid (not to mention I had pulled number four plug lead to attach accelerator cable, forgot to put it back on). Was excellent prior to pull, will be again or else...

Engine ran but as idle stumbled heard a loud banging noise, wtf? Turns out the muffler tailpipe was too close to the tow loop bracket on the bumper. Simple fix, loosen, adjust, problem taken care of.

Since the clutch chattering (and leaks) were the primary reasons for the engine pull I can report that everything is resolved satisfactorily. I didn't realize how nicely a bus can shift (previous experience was on bugs), pedal feels smoother and most importantly no chatter at all, an odd feeling since the chattering had been there since day one, Colin noted it on his test drive. Sadly I assumed it was improperly adjusted Bowden tube, Colin suggested it was more, right again!

As a bonus I found the reason that it was becoming harder to find gears, the bolt holding the front and rear portions of the shifting rod together had almost completely fallen out, appears the nut had vibrated loose and disappeared. Replaced with a stainless steel bolt and nylok nut, won't have that problem again. The bus now shifts great, nice tight pattern and I can actually find the gears I am looking for.

So hopefully the leaks and clutch issues are behind me, at least for the foreseeable future. Now can concentrate on finishing interior and other miscellaneous items on the list... and oh, getting some miles on FATBOY before winter arrives, already cooling down.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:46 am

wdollie6 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am
So after a two week business trip got back to the bus and completed the tasks at hand:

1-11

The bus now shifts great, nice tight pattern and I can actually find the gears I am looking for.
Excellent. Good on you for persevering through it all.
ColinMyClutchIsGoodNowToo
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:08 am

With the new right cut-off solenoid in place (55 jet) and the left one actually powered up :drunken: FatBoy runs like a top, unfortunately after a trip to Howes Cavern, etc.. now noticed a drip at the front of the transmission, aaaaghhhh. When I replaced the shifting rod coupler bolt everything was dry in that location, damn. For now I am going to run it but at some point will necessarily pull the engine again...

66 Beetle, The Breeze, is next in the garage as I have ignored her for far too long. Will pull engine fix some leaks address some sheet metal issues, check end play and anything else of importance while I am under there. Colin have to say, thanks to you I have an entirely new, educated outlook on what to do when an engine is out. Night and day as compared to what I did as a teenager to just keep the bugs running long enough to get from Point A to Point B.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:31 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:08 am
FatBoy runs like a top,

66 Beetle, The Breeze, is next.
I want to drive The Breeze.
(lawdy knows the breeze has driven me enough times)
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:31 am

Absolutely, first have to get the seat to slide far enough back to be comfortable!!! Frankly she is more fun to drive than Layla, feels more like a sport car, tighter is the best way to describe.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 am

After an overnight trip to an old fraternity brothers over in the Berkshires, the front leak on the transmission nose is gone. A few hours after getting home I went out to unload and checked underneath no spots, no drips. Either the case is empty (not the case) or after reinstalling the engine and raising the engine/tranny back in place the front alignment of the connection points improved? Either way, good news, will keep my eye on it though.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 am
After an overnight trip to an old fraternity brothers over in the Berkshires, the front leak on the transmission nose is gone. A few hours after getting home I went out to unload and checked underneath no spots, no drips. Either the case is empty (not the case) or after reinstalling the engine and raising the engine/tranny back in place the front alignment of the connection points improved? Either way, good news, will keep my eye on it though.
Any news from Flagler?
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 am

Unfortunately bad news but will know details later today. Apparently we had 4 to 5 ft. of water in our area, neighbor sent picture of themselves kayaking down the road behind the garage, while I am sure that was fun and unique for them... DAMN! Also mailboxes were under water, just see the very tops of most.

I'll update later today, doesn't sound hopeful though. Obviously will need to head down there and get to work on probably the first floor of the house, garage and unfortunately Layla.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 am

wdollie6 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 am
Unfortunately bad news but will know details later today. Apparently we had 4 to 5 ft. of water in our area, neighbor sent picture of themselves kayaking down the road behind the garage, while I am sure that was fun and unique for them... DAMN! Also mailboxes were under water, just see the very tops of most.

I'll update later today, doesn't sound hopeful though. Obviously will need to head down there and get to work on probably the first floor of the house, garage and unfortunately Layla.
Ouch. I hope you have hurricane/flood/ActofGod insurance.
We have a thread on flood-damaged car resuscitation somewhere here on the forum.
I believe it was generated from your last hurricane scare.
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Front of House.png
Back of Garage.png

OUCH!!! Swimming pool, what swimming pool?
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback