Who has working heat (Colin, you don't count)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Who has working heat (Colin, you don't count)

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:43 pm

I've had two bay buses in my life time, and living in the Midwest, sure would be nice, especially, on those chilly fall days (don't dare drive it in the winter .... road salt, need I say more?). had a 71' and it didn't work, my '76, had it hooked up once, but got dizzy and light headed...

In the order of priorities, it is a 'nice to have' ... but not necessary as it is not my D.D. Actually, who all out there 'really' uses it as their D.D. ... I'm talking about your main mode of transport, not just a Friday - Sunday driver. It's okay if you have a back-up vehicle (almost have to have one if you are using a 40 YO vehicle as a DD) but am curious to know who actually uses it as a DD (and Robbie, you don't count either :flower: )

Wait...think I just hi-jacked my own thread...okay feel free to answer either question; working heat, or DD..

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Who has working heat (Colin, you don't count)

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 pm

I use it a lot except of really cold days then we use the ghia which has better heat. Can't wait to put in the BN6
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 am

Definitely nice to get it working, even if it just takes the bite out of the air and keeps your toes from icing up.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 am

I have had heat on and off for the last 20 years in my busses. Currently, it is pretty good! When I have everything hooked up, and the levers pushing all the heat to the cab I am comfortable into the low 30s. No need for gloves to keep my fingers warm, and enough heat on my feet so they don't feel chilly. I can extend that a fair bit by making a plastic "heat wall" at the back of the front seats. I did that when I daily drove my busses in the 90s.

The trick is to make sure each opportunity for heat loss is minimized. Paper air hoses to the booster fan. Connection from the heat exchangers to the fan shroud. The heat exchangers themselves (are they perforated, or loose around the pipe connections). The heat exhanger to accordion tube connection. The accordion tube to body tubing connection. What is the state of the body tubing? Of course, the cables on the levers have to work, as do the flapper boxes. If everything is sealed and relatively sound you should get credible heat well into the late fall.

You should not get exhaust fumes in the bus if things are sealed well. I know you are having manifold leakage at the moment though. You will also get fumes in the bus if you have an oil leak that drips onto the heat exchangers. Some of that oil will get inside the exchanger and cause trouble.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am

I have have working heat in my bus. Intact thermastat and tin, good heater boxes. In cold weather it keeps the chill off. The defrost works well too. Being a 71, it is a simpler system. Good door seals help too. Splash pan and seals on pedals help too. No fume problem but you need tight heater boxes. Donuts/clamps are terrible these days so the welded flanges are best.
My bus was DD until about 2 years ago. Just got to the point where I needed more comfort.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:41 am

I DD my busses, always have. There is no backup. My heat works pretty well. One of the heater cables is broken and im not sure which one but it's seriously limited it's ability. I also run a BlueMaxx blower under the body, which helps a ton with clearing the window of fog/etc in the mornings when the engine isn't warm enough and you aren't turning enough RMP's to push the air enough to clear it with cool air.
1979 California Transporter

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm

My Bus is my lifeline. No other car, and the heat works well.
Actually, every VW I've owned had working heat. Some would kill you, but it was a warm death.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 am

hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm
Actually, every VW I've owned had working heat. Some would kill you, but it was a warm death.

Chloe tried to kill me for a couple of years by seducing me with poisonous heat. Still trying to.
On second thought, not Chloe so much as our aftermarket vendors who have tired of us complaining about their lousy exhaust system components . . . :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

When I bought my bus, it had the wrong heater boxes on it and they obviously were not hooked up. I sourced two year correct original, German bus heater boxes and restored them. Both soaked in degreaser and hot water for a couple of days to remove any oil inside them. They were then sandblasted and repainted after sealing up a few spots with JB weld.
I've found with my bugs that these heaters are much more effective with the thermostats and flaps installed. The air gets hotter faster and stays hot. The heater is enough to keep me warm on the rare lower 40 degree winter days here in Phoenix.
Now my bugs heaters? They'll cook you right out of the cars if you leave them wide open in the winter. I can only crack them open. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 am
hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Chloe tried to kill me for a couple of years by seducing me with poisonous heat. Still trying to.
On second thought, not Chloe so much as our aftermarket vendors who have tired of us complaining about their lousy exhaust system components . . . :blackeye:
there is a way to know when that is happening. Any pilots' shop will have these.

TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench