Gary The Grün

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tommu
Old School!

Re: Gary The Grün

Post by tommu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Isn't it. Oil on the right side of the fins looking down from plug hole in the tin. Misting on the right side of the sparkplug facing the case. Lighter misting on Number 1 sparkplug, also on it's case facing side. Cracked case? Bad seal on number 3?

Cold compression numbers: (ran out of time for a hot test)

1 125
2 120
3 100
4 135

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 am

tommu wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 pm
Isn't it. Oil on the right side of the fins looking down from plug hole in the tin. Misting on the right side of the sparkplug facing the case. Lighter misting on Number 1 sparkplug, also on it's case facing side. Cracked case? Bad seal on number 3?

Cold compression numbers: (ran out of time for a hot test)

1 125
2 120
3 100
4 135
Good compression, fancifully dire leak prognostications. How much oil ends up on the ground after a drive? I want verification that valve cover gaskets, dipstick boot, breather gasket are actually leak-free.

Enjoy cleaning your engine like you mean it, really mean it, like get a sprayer and an excellent degreaser/solvent and spray the top of the engine down in the spark plug holes too, and get the engine clean and dry. You can rinse with water, but you must let it dry before starting. Then look look look with bright light and bright brain at 60 seconds run time, three minutes run time, short drive run time, look look look.
Colin
(writing a primer for first graders, "Look, look at the bus! Look for a leak! See the leak? Fix the damn leak you little $#!+ or you'll never ever ever ride in it again! Look, look, look, here comes Child Protective Services!")
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 am
Good compression, fancifully dire leak prognostications. How much oil ends up on the ground after a drive?
I guess you're right. The lower compression in that cylinder combined with oil in that area did tie up nicely. On the ground, maybe a teaspoon. Which is too much for me.
Amskeptic wrote: I want verification that valve cover gaskets, dipstick boot, breather gasket are actually leak-free.
I have been cleaning the valve cover gaskets spotlessly. Dipstick boot is dry and clean. The filler was leaking but has been changed - with no reduction in oil leak. Breather gasket is there - but I am cleaning that more thoroughly.
Amskeptic wrote: Enjoy cleaning your engine like you mean it, really mean it, like get a sprayer and an excellent degreaser/solvent and spray the top of the engine down in the spark plug holes too, and get the engine clean and dry. You can rinse with water, but you must let it dry before starting. Then look look look with bright light and bright brain at 60 seconds run time, three minutes run time, short drive run time, look look look.
Colin
(writing a primer for first graders, "Look, look at the bus! Look for a leak! See the leak? Fix the damn leak you little $#!+ or you'll never ever ever ride in it again! Look, look, look, here comes Child Protective Services!")
I'll happily pay an Itinerant trained first grader to clean it. Especially in this heat..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 pm

tommu wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I'll happily pay an Itinerant trained first grader to clean it. Especially in this heat..
Oh I wish!
It was such a nice 113* yesterday in Redding CA, 54* last night and this morning in Eureka, misty cold fog rolling in off that horrific Pacific.
Colin
Look, look, look. Look at the man crab and crab. The man is a crab. What a crabby man. Let's ice the sob and have crab for lunch.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Keep your garages locked people. I found Robbie in mine today.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am

tommu wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm
Keep your garages locked people. I found Robbie in mine today.

As importantly, keep your engine secured in the vehicle. It looks like he almost got it.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 am

There was just no way I could fit the fully-dressed Type 4 and transaxle into that convertible bug!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu May 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 pm
tommu wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am
Checking plugs today, and I noticed oil staining on the TIN to the right of the spark plug hole. Further inspection shows it spraying up from the case side of the head. The top of the engine is otherwise dry.

Is this a clue that number 3 cylinder is not sealing to the head, or could this spray be from the front seal?
Man, this is weird. Spraying up?? Shine a light down there. Oil does not spray out of head/cylinder leaks! Get your forensics cap on. Consider air flow and gravity intelligently. There is a lot of air flow when underway. You can SEE the oil cooler seals from under the car right where it joins the case. Clean and inspect. Is your breather cork gasket good?
Colin

First results of the post mortem is here. I'm not entirely sure where oil is leaking from, but the channel under the case bolt head is clean which makes me think it might be the source. A lot of oil leaking from the PCV breather valve and body too. Oil ring blow-by?

Inside of the tin:

Case bolt leaking?

ooh new engine getting ready!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 am

tommu wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:01 pm
case bolt leaking ?

new engine getting ready!
Very possibly, although that is a "dead hole" that merely goes through the flange to the other side. It would only leak from splash. Knowing your advanced state of observation, did you notice a missing washer behind the ground spade ring? You sure need a washer under that ground spade ring.
Colin :blackeye:

(p.s. that engine is so purty, I pray that it is ready willing and able)

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 am
tommu wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:01 pm
case bolt leaking ?

new engine getting ready!
Very possibly, although that is a "dead hole" that merely goes through the flange to the other side. It would only leak from splash. Knowing your advanced state of observation, did you notice a missing washer behind the ground spade ring? You sure need a washer under that ground spade ring.

(p.s. that engine is so purty, I pray that it is ready willing and able)
Yes, washer was missing. And there is a washer there on the new engine.

I’m hoping for the new engine to be up to it too. We will see. It is a complex endeavor. :drunken:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 12, 2018 3:25 pm

tommu wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 am
It is a complex endeavor. :drunken:

It is, it really is. There are millions of little errors that could blow the thing up in ten minutes or less. Millions.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:16 pm

I should update this thread with my engine build saga - with pics. But for now I'm posting the result of our first SMOG test. It was a surprisingly painless affair:

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Something interesting (for me) happened today. I drove to Long Beach and back. Around 86 miles all in. When I got back I noticed my idle had dropped. Maybe by 150 RPM. No problems driving and no stalling issues etc. Later I connected up my LM2 and noted that I am leaner.

I was around 13.9 idle and 14.4/5 2500 3rd. 12.3 WOT.
I am now 16.5 idle, 15 2500RPM in 3rd and 12.8 WOT.

Is this symptomatic of a vacuum leak? It doesn't seem uncontrolled and is very nice to drive. Am I right in thinking these numbers are ok? Head temps on the freeway didn't get over 380.

I do plan to smoke test tomorrow and check EGR valve. I have been expecting the diaphragm rupture due to old age..

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 pm

It is now tomorrow. I planned on learning the results of your leak check today. :bounce:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat May 04, 2019 1:57 pm

I was sitting here wondering whether to install my refreshed A/C evaporator or install the NOS 71 Ghia turn switch I picked up for a song on eBay. I forgot I needed to see to Gary first..