FI Parts Identification

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tommu
Old School!

FI Parts Identification

Post by tommu » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm trying to build up cache of spare Fuel Injection components for a '76 Bus. This seller doesn't know what he has. Would anyone be able to visually identify what generation of fuel injection these are from. I asked for a photo of the ECU connector pinout. Anything else I should request?

chachi
Old School!

Re: FI Parts Identification

Post by chachi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

that charcoal canister and that square thing with the pipes coming off of it in the lower right corner are not FI. that CC is '74 (and maybe more years) stock and the square thing is some part of the '74 only smog pump emissions weirdness. to know what ECU you have, i think you need to pull the box to read the sticker on the side. don't think you can get there from just the connector...
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:21 am

Once you pull the FCU, you can use this information to get the age:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:36 am

If that is all the FI parts the seller has, then there isn't much to go on to determine the exact year, except perhaps the distributor model number. Ask for that number, if it can be discerned, and compare to the Old Volks Home Ignition page.

As most of these parts span several years, however, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the exact year set. Pretty much everything in that photo will apply to all FI busses and air-cooled Vanagons.

A picture of the AFM plug will tell if it's an earlier 6-pin or a later 7-pin, which would probably be more useful than a photo of the ECU plug.

It's worth asking if he has any other FI parts laying around, like a Cold Start Valve or a Temp Sensor II, as both of those have recently become very hard to find. They are also small, so are easily overlooked when scouring one's parts bins.

The square box pictured in the lower right is an EGR filter, which mates through the tin on the left side of the engine to the long pipe shown just above it. Being in California, you will need this part for smogging. Intact EGR filters are also quite a rare find, as they tend to be rusted through after 40-odd years of service.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:48 pm

That's very helpful - thank you. I'll buy them all and see if he has anything more.

Out of interest what's the going rate for a full and complete FI system these days? I've seen $400 recently which seemed high to me. Is that the normal price now?

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Correction.. I wouldn't take that for free.. It's all garbage.

You can buy brand new injectors for $40/pop. $30 fuel pump. Wiring harness? Rebuild it yourself. Fuel Filter? $10... The only thing that would be worth any money is FCU if it is in working condition, and AFM if it is not worn out... $20 each, tops.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 pm

luftvagon wrote:Correction.. I wouldn't take that for free.. It's all garbage.

You can buy brand new injectors for $40/pop. $30 fuel pump. Wiring harness? Rebuild it yourself. Fuel Filter? $10... The only thing that would be worth any money is FCU if it is in working condition, and AFM if it is not worn out... $20 each, tops.
Thats good to know, thank you.. I'm starting to get an idea of what's available and what's not. I like that he has the EGR filter. I need one and this should fit better than the after market options. The guy also 'an' the AFM, coil and bunch of relays. If I can get them for $30 it'll be worth the 30 minute drive.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 am

tommu wrote:I'm trying to build up cache of spare Fuel Injection components for a '76 Bus. This seller doesn't know what he has. Would anyone be able to visually identify what generation of fuel injection these are from. I asked for a photo of the ECU connector pinout. Anything else I should request?
Most parts are interchangeable. You can see if you have a six-pin AFM or a seven-pin AFM. Then you find the part # for the AFM and hit the internet to see which ECUs go with your AFM. The harness needs to be laid out and you look at the connectors branching out. Early FI has a plug for the electrically-controlled EGR valve and a plug for the throttle switch that is not used on the later systems. You will see numbers on the wires inside the ECU connector if you disassemble the big black cover.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
tommu wrote:I'm trying to build up cache of spare Fuel Injection components for a '76 Bus. This seller doesn't know what he has. Would anyone be able to visually identify what generation of fuel injection these are from. I asked for a photo of the ECU connector pinout. Anything else I should request?
Most parts are interchangeable. You can see if you have a six-pin AFM or a seven-pin AFM. Then you find the part # for the AFM and hit the internet to see which ECUs go with your AFM. The harness needs to be laid out and you look at the connectors branching out. Early FI has a plug for the electrically-controlled EGR valve and a plug for the throttle switch that is not used on the later systems. You will see numbers on the wires inside the ECU connector if you disassemble the big black cover.
Colin
Thanks Colin. That's exactly what I needed to know.