GEtting ready for a tech weekend...and CV's

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

GEtting ready for a tech weekend...and CV's

Post by jimbear » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Hey folks and Colin! I am planning on getting a bunch of work done this weekend at our local club's tech weekend. Here is the original list:

~A biggie: Readdress the height/reset rear torsion back to stock
~Another biggie: I would very much like to drop the engine, clean the engine bay, remediate some rust in the battery trays, replace fuel lines, add a Blazecut, attach CHT Gauge, and reassemble. This is really the priority, along with a valve adjustment.
~Address exhaust leak
~Address squeaky/grindy/moan noise emanating from the right rear wheel area**
~Tune-up

**OK. So, last weekI noticed that the two lower CV boots on each side are completely split and detached at the narrow end/bottom. The uppers are intact and still soft and not brittle. I have a horrible noise (squeal/groan type noise depending on the speed) that is not affected by braking and is coming from the right rear. My first thought was wheel bearing, but I discovered the boots just the other day. I assume that the noise could be an f'd up set of lower CV bearings. Any thoughts or suggestions? A CV job was not on my bill for the tech weekend, but, it almost seems simpler than a wheel bearing if the noise is the CV. Should I pull both CV units and inspect/repack/replace on vehicle? Replace the lower joint and boot with new ones? I have no idea if or even when the CV's were touched last. It could be OG on this bus.

Thoughts and ideas are being sought...

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: GEtting ready for a tech weekend...and CV's

Post by Jivermo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:36 am

Pull the CV's and get to work.

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:54 am

Jim I will also be cleaning and repacking my CVs this weekend. Joe is going to assist anyone who needs/wants help.
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:01 am

CVs are gross but they go quick. it's pretty easy to see once you get in there how bad they are.
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:51 am

I guess my question would be, regarding the CV's, what should I have in the even that I need something? Both lower boot assemblies for sure, but should i have the joints as well? Maybe just one joint for parts? And, what type of grease?
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Get the Rein boot kits; they come with the grease packets. Do your homework, as you can mount the joints backwards-pay attention to the chamfered edge-there is a write up here somewhere. And, it's not really a bad job to tackle at all. I like the sense of satisfaction you get when you have the knowledge that all is well within these babies for a considerable number of miles because...you did it.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:51 pm

jimbear wrote:I guess my question would be, regarding the CV's, what should I have in the even that I need something? Both lower boot assemblies for sure, but should i have the joints as well? Maybe just one joint for parts? And, what type of grease?
I will be with a knowledgeable group on Saturday. However, what do you think I should go prepared with regarding parts?
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:32 pm

The good joints are expensive, and you may not need them. Perhaps you have not scored up the originals, and if not, those are preferred. Don't buy any of the Chinese crap. You won't know until you get them apart. You might get lucky, and all are good.

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Does the horrible noise change when you turn sharply at low speed to the right or left? That's always been an indicator for me, with groans and loud 'bonk's. If you've never had them apart you're in for a treat, I think bus CVs are one of the most fascinating mechanical devices I've seen. I kept a degreased one on my desk at work for a long time.
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:43 am

I agree, JC Brock. I keep one on my shop desk as a conversation piece, or a complex "worry stone", when the occasion for such arises.