Temp Sensor II Fun

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Temp Sensor II Fun

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:56 am

Bleyseng wrote:Located a few of the CHTs' and thermostats...

AND . . . ?

Is this just waving a piece of candy in front of a starving child, "I got mine. Later, kid." ??
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am

I found some new ones and bought them (2). There are used ones around too if you look and ask. One of the new Temp 2 's is going in the 914, so that leaves 2 for the Westy.
I found two more good used thermostats too and one is going in the Westy as that one died recently.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:33 am

Amskeptic wrote: Hippiewannabe bypassed the TS II by sticking in a Radio Shack potentiometer right in the dash with a 1970's AM radio looking knob, 0 ohms to 5,000 ohms, has a great time with it. Says he just raises the resistance when the head temps go up, and dang if they don't come back down.
Colin
As part of my "surge/hesitation" troubleshooting a few of years ago, I wired a 5K potentiometer in series with the TS2 and mounted it on the plastic housing for the turn signal and wiper switches. It's still there, but since I don't have a head temp gauge, it is set at "continuity" and is never used. In past experiments, I learned first-hand that an overly rich mixture can put out the fire in the cylinders - literally!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Hippiewannabe bypassed the TS II by sticking in a Radio Shack potentiometer right in the dash with a 1970's AM radio looking knob, 0 ohms to 5,000 ohms, has a great time with it. Says he just raises the resistance when the head temps go up, and dang if they don't come back down.
Colin

I put a switch on my dash so I can toggle between the potentiometer and the TSII when needed. I didn't want to have to adjust the potentiometer for warmup/etc, In town the stock TSII is fine, but it's nice to toggle over to the potentiometer once you hit the highway so you can adjust the AFR as needed.
1979 California Transporter

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Where is the - I LIKE button!
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Boesen
I'm New!

Post by Boesen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:42 am

Gave my last new original Bosch one the other day to my good friend so he could get back on the road. Can anyone confirm or tell me what the difference between this http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/kse ... enu-search

Or this one is http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?p ... 4282&land=

Id like to buy a few spares to keep on the shelf. Other then resistance amounts would one or both work similar or in place of the original Bosch ones that are NLA.
1979 VW Westfalia Deluxe (Federal)
A.K.A.: OPA

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Boesen wrote:Gave my last new original Bosch one the other day to my good friend so he could get back on the road. Can anyone confirm or tell me what the difference between this http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/kse ... enu-search

Or this one is http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?p ... 4282&land=

Id like to buy a few spares to keep on the shelf. Other then resistance amounts would one or both work similar or in place of the original Bosch ones that are NLA.
There is no difference if the resistance is 2500 ohms at 68-70*.

I was charged for my order at Pelican parts before they told me they could no longer get it.
Confirm all orders by phone stock check if possible.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles