Pics of Late bay Heat dump tubes and mounting points

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aerosurfer
I'm New!

Pics of Late bay Heat dump tubes and mounting points

Post by aerosurfer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:06 am

Colin or others,

Can anyone post some clear pics of the Heat tubes and their angles mounted to the engine carrier bar. I have 2 sets I acquired over the years and was thinking of finally installing them as I have the engine out, however when mocked up, between both sets, each side brackets are are different degrees of bent not giving me a definitive way to bend back into position. Also looking for how the forward end sits near each heater box.

Still not sure if these are worth putting on or just cosmetic over purpose? Any other thoughts? Are they in the way for checking valves or other access? I know the (assumed) purpose for them, but they seem to be rare in practical application. Samba has limited info on them, and now that the search function is disabled even tougher to get any info.

Colin you had 1 descent pic of the driver side from your shift spring thread, any more close up pictures?
77 Westy deluxe

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Pics of Late bay Heat dump tubes and mounting points

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:09 am

I installed a set this summer as their purpose is to dump the hot air from the heat exchangers out the back instead of under the gas tank. Yes, I boiled the gas in the tank this summer in 110F heat in Eastern Washington. Vapor doesn't burn in fact the engine shuts off.
So yes they are great mod to do if you have a set. I used a 2" SS flex instead of the paper tube to attached them to the heat control valves.
Pics are not on my traveling laptop but they should be here on this site. The placement of the brackets is oblivious and with a little bending everything should fit fine. The dump tube ends face down and fit under the bumper.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

aerosurfer
I'm New!

Post by aerosurfer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Know what threads you might have them on? No way to search for pics on this site (that I found). Neither did your user name and "heat tube"
77 Westy deluxe

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:20 am

No, but really once you hold up the pipe correctly with the end pointing the right way its obvious how it mounts to the engine bar bracket. Yeah you will have to adjust the tabs so everything lines up but no big deal. I can't find where I put the pics either....so I'll post some when I get back in 3 weeks to Seattle. I am in theNetherlands now visiting and part sourcing!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:35 pm

aerosurfer wrote:Know what threads you might have them on? No way to search for pics on this site (that I found). Neither did your user name and "heat tube"
They are in exact line with the exchangers, i.e. 3* tilted. I did saw the right tube slightly shorter along the bottom to give the dump air more room to disperse downwards.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

aerosurfer
I'm New!

Post by aerosurfer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:33 am

Exactly what I needed, thank you
77 Westy deluxe

aerosurfer
I'm New!

Post by aerosurfer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:36 am

Amskeptic wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:Know what threads you might have them on? No way to search for pics on this site (that I found). Neither did your user name and "heat tube"
They are in exact line with the exchangers, i.e. 3* tilted. I did saw the right tube slightly shorter along the bottom to give the dump air more room to disperse downwards.

Is there a light in there or just a permanent aura from the underside of your engine? :thumbleft:
77 Westy deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:01 am

aerosurfer wrote: Is there a light in there or just a permanent aura from the underside of your engine? :thumbleft:
Yeah, that is just the reflection of the halo.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles