Naranja Westy Refresh Wrap Up

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Naranja Westy Refresh Wrap Up

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Mulcheese wrote:Quit your crying you big babies. We hit a high of 9*F today. When I got up this morning it was something like -9*F. My son and I were outside sledding and playing in the backyard today and we even got hot enough to work-up a sweat. I will say I had to put on my Smart Wools and a flannel. Love winter!
It is 67* and SUNNY here in Inverness, FL. So I sanded, primed, and painted the front emblem:

Then, do you know what I did?
Yeah, stuck it on the front.
That new chromy thing has to wait until the BobD needs it.

Then I drained all the broken-down foam out of the passenger visor:

Tried desperately to inject some "Fire Block" expanding foam into the visor:

The plastic straw broke in half, the can clogged, the visor oozed, paper towels stuck to me, the visor, the GumOut, the visor ballooned, I pressed it down:

It looked perfect for five minutes, then it slowly deflated of its own accord. We call it a "Fail". The foam needs lots of fresh air or something to set, not to be found inside the visor. Fortunately no real harm occurred from this. So, looking around for more trouble, I tore out the 120 volt service box and the sink vent cover and got rid of that pesky overspray ( and, of course, galloping rust ) :

Painted the sink vent cover with the same Fusion plastic as the sliding door upper roller cover, tailgate cover, and front emblem:

Did I mention that it was 67*, I'm sorry, it was actually 68* and sunny:

So what do YOU like better, the correct white or the chromy chrome?

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear about the visor semi-disaster. That open-cell foam sure does turn to powder over the years. Seems restoring one with new foam would prove to be a real cutting and gluing challenge.

The newly painted parts look nice. Sticking with the white plastic VW logo on the front is good. It's a Westy and the logo style is unique to that model. Yeah, it looks kind of "cheapy" compared to the chrome, but that's the way they made 'em!
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:48 pm

phaedrus76 wrote:Sorry to hear about the visor semi-disaster. That open-cell foam sure does turn to powder over the years. Seems restoring one with new foam would prove to be a real cutting and gluing challenge.

The newly painted parts look nice. Sticking with the white plastic VW logo on the front is good. It's a Westy and the logo style is unique to that model. Yeah, it looks kind of "cheapy" compared to the chrome, but that's the way they made 'em!
I am going to try again. This is aerosol delivered foam. It HAS to get blasted inside and expand and set!
I shall try another type of expanding foam. This "fire block" may have had too many other concerns.

I think the cheesy white emblem aesthetically grabs control of the orangy orangy orangy front end, not such a bad thing. When I get the top painted, the white will be a more equal participant in the visual assault.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 am

My 76 yellow Westy came with a broken white logo in the drawer, I put a chrome one on, matches the headlight rings better. it's the only bling since I replaced the chrome mirrors with Brazilian black plastic ones.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:59 am

The spray foam definitely needs air to set. We filled a latex monster mask with it at work a few months ago. hoping to create a solid "head". 5 weeks later and it had still not cured.

i think your going to end up making a slit along the seam. pull out the crumbled foam , make a cardboard template and glue foam to both sides, slide it back in and glue the seam.
60 beetle
78 bus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Why not just buy the repopped visors from Busdepot as they are very nice and similar to the oem ones.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
phaedrus76 wrote:Sorry to hear about the visor semi-disaster. That open-cell foam sure does turn to powder over the years. Seems restoring one with new foam would prove to be a real cutting and gluing challenge.

I am going to try again. This is aerosol delivered foam. It HAS to get blasted inside and expand and set!
I shall try another type of expanding foam. This "fire block" may have had too many other concerns.

I think the cheesy white emblem aesthetically grabs control of the orangy orangy orangy front end, not such a bad thing. When I get the top painted, the white will be a more equal participant in the visual assault.
Colin
I think this may be why VW chose Pastel White for the bumpers and logo, It's not a bright in-your-face white like well "White", but a more subdued cream-colored tone.

I'm skeptical of any VW repro parts, but if there's a good (accurate and mechanically sound) repro of the sun visors, it might be worth considering.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote: So what do YOU like better, the correct white or the chromy chrome?
Thanks for changing it Colin - I think the white looks way better - complements the white bumpers and pop-top and makes the logo pop.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:59 pm

I like the white for the small emblem, and the chrome if you have to use a large older Bay emblem to fill in your front spare tire mount holes. :-)

Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Amskeptic wrote:So what do YOU like better, the correct white or the chromy chrome?
White is right, and you know it.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 pm

jtauxe wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:So what do YOU like better, the correct white or the chromy chrome?
White is right, and you know it.
All Emblems Matter.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

cv66seabear
I'm New!

Post by cv66seabear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Nice work!
Does anyone have any idea where to get a Westfalia sink vent cover and white gasket for my 1979 Campmobile? I don't want to replace it with a square one, but mine has a crack I can't seem to glue together. On more question - what size were the original screws to secure the vent cover? Mine have been replaced with self tapping sheet metal screws.

Thanks - yes, I know this is an old thread - but was surfing and saw the nice vent cover!