Press board piece in engine bay disintegrated and fell

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Press board piece in engine bay disintegrated and fell

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Westy78 wrote:I don't remember any rivets on mine. Maybe they changed to screws on the later years.
Some nice person changed it for you. Hows that CS running for you these days?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:I don't remember any rivets on mine. Maybe they changed to screws on the later years.
Colin

That or I just don't remember drilling out the rivets. It's been a few years. Engine is still running well. Just have that weird random cut out/dying on rare occasions. Happened twice leaving the coast this summer. Started back up after a couple minutes and never had a hiccup for the four hour drive home. Wondering if the coil is crapping out.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin

That or I just don't remember drilling out the rivets. It's been a few years. Engine is still running well. Just have that weird random cut out/dying on rare occasions. Happened twice leaving the coast this summer. Started back up after a couple minutes and never had a hiccup for the four hour drive home. Wondering if the coil is crapping out.
Have a jumper wire ready for the next die. Slam it on the battery and coil #15. Does engine now start?

How many miles on your engine at this point? After my summer of headaches and heartaches with a certain engine rebuilder, the Raby engines restore my faith in human endeavor.
Colin

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:31 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin

Have a jumper wire ready for the next die. Slam it on the battery and coil #15. Does engine now start?

How many miles on your engine at this point? After my summer of headaches and heartaches with a certain engine rebuilder, the Raby engines restore my faith in human endeavor.
Colin
I'll give that a try next time, whenever that is. What does this tell me if it does start with the jumper? The engine I think has about 25k on it now.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 am

I have 30k on mine and it's running sweeter than ever plus the heat works fine. Now to figure out the intermittent wipers....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:13 am

Westy78 wrote:What does this tell me if it does start with the jumper?
That you can get home.

That indeed the coil was not happy.

It does not prove that the coil is bad, however. It could be temperature-related resistance in the path to the ignition switch and back to the coil. Have a spare coil for back up.
For fun, read the resistance of the new coil and compare to the old coil between +15 and -1 when cold, then read it again at the moment the car misbehaves.
Colin

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:34 am

Bleyseng wrote:I have 30k on mine and it's running sweeter than ever plus the heat works fine. Now to figure out the intermittent wipers....
*that* was a fun project, but it's hugely useful in the drizzly rain we get. Now if I could just find a "99." programmable relay that works .. the last two I found at the wreckers were no bueno, and I don't feel like shelling out $40 for a new one...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:35 pm

tristessa wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:I have 30k on mine and it's running sweeter than ever plus the heat works fine. Now to figure out the intermittent wipers....
*that* was a fun project, but it's hugely useful in the drizzly rain we get. Now if I could just find a "99." programmable relay that works .. the last two I found at the wreckers were no bueno, and I don't feel like shelling out $40 for a new one...
Not to drift off topic, but can you remove the cover and minister to the internals of the programmable relay?
Colin