Luggage Rack R&R

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Luggage Rack R&R

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:18 am

Jivermo wrote:I chose the Interlux Brightside 4359 high gloss white. exceptional durability
Can I come down and do my top after you are done with yours? I think this Naranja pumpkin Westy can make it down now. Howe much do you charge for Marine Fiberglass Technology & Protection Consultation?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 am

Sure-we can work out a trade. I just took my bus to the guy who is welding in the windshield channel, and doing the finish painting. Should be around 3 weeks, he told me. We could plan something for January, when it's freezing up there, and you can help me reassemble my bus. The bees should be less active then, too. so you can not be drinking them. Let's see how this paint job turns out, with the Brightside product.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:03 am

I've had this ready to paint for weeks now! 8.3" of rain here in South Florida, the most since 1905, and that's just in December. It's exasperating, I tell ya!

Darren
I'm New!

Post by Darren » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:26 am

In regards to the bulb on the luggage rack my original seal had it. I replaced it with the Bus Depot kit without the bulb and the rack sucked in so much air the front of the canvas tent balooned inside the bus. The bulb is necessary unless you desire a drafty bus. I was able to replace that useless front seal without removing the luggage rack thankfully.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:38 am

Interesting. That must have been disconcerting, having that canvas balloon up inside the bus! What are you calling the "bulb"? That flexible rubber tube that goes around the inside of the edge of the rack? This thing:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Jivermo wrote:Interesting. That must have been disconcerting, having that canvas balloon up inside the bus! What are you calling the "bulb"? That flexible rubber tube that goes around the inside of the edge of the rack? This thing:
[/img]
The cross-section of the oem seal had a bulb, like a hollow teardrop, I believe. The replacement seal is just a strip, yes?
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:41 pm

Finally, the weather got better, and I moved the roof into the barn. 2 coats of the Brightside down, with 320 sanding in between coats. One more coat and I'm through with this section. The Interlux product is great to work with, and flows out to a nice gloss. Huge difference from the project beginning.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Almost done with this thing! Luggage rack before, and now after 2 coats Brightside by Interlux. One more coat to go, decals, black gasket and remount, and the poptop is done!

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Looks good. I used the same paint and really liked it. I also did 3 coats and it's holding up really well after 6 years of use.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm next in line. Fiberglass has a sugary look to it, which tells me there is nothing protecting it right now.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:55 am

Question: On the rear bottom edge of the luggage rack pictured above, there is a curved, flat section that bolts to the metal roof of the bus. Is there supposed to be a gasket that goes between the fiberglas and the metal roof. While we're on this, is there supposed to be a gasket between the metal rear hinge of the pop top, and the metal roof on these Westys?

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 am

There were thick rubber washers on the Vanagon (between the rear lip and the metal of the bus). You can see them in my initial photos if you look for them, imagine the bus is similar but not sure.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:30 am

Cut some neoprene gaskets for the roof supports for the fiberglas luggage rack.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Pop top and luggage rack reinstalled, new decals applied, and I'm driving this thing around again! Tires should be in this week. I suspect I'll be working on another top quite soon.
Bumpers refinished and bolted on with new hardware.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Jivermo wrote:Pop top and luggage rack reinstalled, new decals applied, and I'm driving this thing around again!
I suspect I'll be working on another top quite soon.
Naw, you can play the "boss man" and make me do the work.
Colin :salute: