I? Now? Own? A? Westy??

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jtauxe
Addicted!

Re: I? Now? Own? A? Westy??

Post by jtauxe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Well, I see I am late to the party, but I must say, Colin, that this is the most unexpected and yet welcome news. As you know, I have long lobbied for you to get one of these magical machines, and I am really pleased with how you have taken to it. It gives me such fond memories of YellowBird, and when I run into the Bowers and Pete with Y2, I'll be sure to tell them all. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. Bring it to Los Alamos next year!

I'm so happy for you! :compress: And for Naranja, too, of course, who has found itself the best owner a bus could ever wish for! :sunny:

So, I'll ask the question again: Is the color L20A or L21H? That is, marinogelb or marinogelb77? They are oh, so subtly different.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:08 pm

jtauxe wrote:Well, I see I am late to the party, but I must say, Colin, that this is the most unexpected and yet welcome news. As you know, I have long lobbied for you to get one of these magical machines, and I am really pleased with how you have taken to it. It gives me such fond memories of YellowBird, and when I run into the Bowers and Pete with Y2, I'll be sure to tell them all. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. Bring it to Los Alamos next year!

I'm so happy for you! :compress: And for Naranja, too, of course, who has found itself the best owner a bus could ever wish for! :sunny:

So, I'll ask the question again: Is the color L20A or L21H? That is, marinogelb or marinogelb77? They are oh, so subtly different.
It is so very L21H Marinogelb 77, a complex and lovely orange. I am reminded of Richard Bower every time I mix up some of this Chrysler Hemi Orange and Bright Yellow VHT engine enamel. This color demands a rich luster. It looks like crap when it is flat or rust-stained. It looks very nice with black trim.

Car now has 44,130 miles.
Colin

newly de-oversprayed door/hatch seals . . . a good three hours of razor blade/sanding each:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:56 pm

It's a thing of beauty.

I've been away a long time.
71 bus, 74 westy

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:39 am

New paint, pop top repainted with new "Westfalia" decal...next dealing with weird welded muffler (thanks, Colin, for pointing this out; I wondered why I could not fit the support strap around it), and then refinished bumper.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Jivermo wrote:New paint, pop top repainted with new "Westfalia" decal...next dealing with weird welded muffler (thanks, Colin, for pointing this out; I wondered why I could not fit the support strap around it), and then refinished bumper.

It is goooood to see this car come back together.
We shall attend to those taillights . . . brighter is safer. Heard from Austin or VW Treasure?
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Very nice, congrats! Your back is going to love you. The thought of you curled up on the floor of Chloe made my own back hurt. Simple foam on a hard surface makes a great bed. Enjoy!
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:43 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:Very nice, congrats! Your back is going to love you. The thought of you curled up on the floor of Chloe made my own back hurt. Simple foam on a hard surface makes a great bed. Enjoy!
There is a complicated ergonomic analysis going on right now. I have tried the poptop bunk and the lower fold-out now, and the dividend did not materialize as expected. Turns out that the vertical resistance of the seven passenger seat frame legs, or the partition panels is far easier on me than free range flopping on a strictly horizontal surface . . . . I can crack my back into excellent alignment using knees and shoulder blades in the floor chiropracty of the seven passenger floor sleeping models. I actually ended up with a savage neck ache on the way back from Florida. Still working out the system.
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:52 am

Amskeptic wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:Very nice, congrats! Your back is going to love you. The thought of you curled up on the floor of Chloe made my own back hurt. Simple foam on a hard surface makes a great bed. Enjoy!
There is a complicated ergonomic analysis going on right now. I have tried the poptop bunk and the lower fold-out now, and the dividend did not materialize as expected. Turns out that the vertical resistance of the seven passenger seat frame legs, or the partition panels is far easier on me than free range flopping on a strictly horizontal surface . . . . I can crack my back into excellent alignment using knees and shoulder blades in the floor chiropracty of the seven passenger floor sleeping models. I actually ended up with a savage neck ache on the way back from Florida. Still working out the system.
Colin
This pillow works great for preventing neck ache.
http://www.sears.com/tempurpedic-tempur ... Ap0k8P8HAQ

Until, of course, you drowsily stretch as you're about to fall asleep and push it out of the upper bunk on to the floor.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:04 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
This pillow works great for preventing neck ache.
http://www.sears.com/tempurpedic-tempur ... Ap0k8P8HAQ

Until, of course, you drowsily stretch as you're about to fall asleep and push it out of the upper bunk on to the floor.
..... and when your really tall, this happens ALL the damn time. I made a small extension bit from wood that I would use to fill that gap once I was up top, so I had more room to stretch out fully and keep my pillow from falling to the ground.
1979 California Transporter

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Good evening folks! Hello Ian; that paint job looks fantastic! Congrats! We haven't done much to our lovely "Dory" since you and Colin where last at Ralph's place, although I'm happy to report that last weekend I found some time to do another oil change (was curious to see if any more weird metal particles were present after the initial oil change that Colin performed) but no surprises were present this time around! I removed the oil plug along with the two round metal plates on the oil pan (damn rookie) and everything looked a bit "shiny" but without any signs of debris or metal shavings. We did get the front, middle and rear seat back from the upholstery shop and they look great...now if I could just learn to shrink the pictures in size enough to be able to post them here! Anyways...hope to see your Westy with a fresh coat of paint! Talk to you soon!

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:42 am

jtauxe wrote:So, I'll ask the question again: Is the color L20A or L21H? That is, marinogelb or marinogelb77? They are oh, so subtly different.
To follow up on that, here is a thread to compare some side by side:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347807
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:53 am

jtauxe wrote:
jtauxe wrote:So, I'll ask the question again: Is the color L20A or L21H? That is, marinogelb or marinogelb77? They are oh, so subtly different.
This orange requires deep paint ministrations to cut through the oxidation effects upon apparent color vs actual color.

I am pretty sure, jtauxe, that the @&*#ing%!"*%#unbelievable@!!&%#@seriously?+^!$&@#**^!$#**@!! painter here did not distinguish between L20 and L21 in the same way that he did not distinguish between a stoved-in rear frame member and a new quarter panel that was not attached ( for lack of being anywhere near enough! ) but for a single blob of braze weld.
The interior of my Westy is a lovely orange that glows in the afternoon light, the exterior has waaaay more yellow/green. Did I mention that he could not be bothered to remove two screws, but wasted plenty of time trying to tape the reflector off?
Yeah that:

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Did I mention that he could not be bothered to remove two screws, but wasted plenty of time trying to tape the reflector off?
Yeah, just like the painter that did YellowBird, and could not be bothered to remove the body hardware first. That really ticked me off, but I kept my lip zipped in front of the Bowers, since they love that car so much and loved the new paint job, too.

Welp, Bluebird sure won't be like that. That DC is stripped down to the bare body all around, and will get painted that way.
John

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:05 am

Amskeptic wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
This orange requires deep paint ministrations to cut through the oxidation effects upon apparent color vs actual color.

I am pretty sure, jtauxe, that the @&*#ing%!"*%#unbelievable@!!&%#@seriously?+^!$&@#**^!$#**@!! painter here did not distinguish between L20 and L21 in the same way that he did not distinguish between a stoved-in rear frame member and a new quarter panel that was not attached ( for lack of being anywhere near enough! ) but for a single blob of braze weld.
The interior of my Westy is a lovely orange that glows in the afternoon light, the exterior has waaaay more yellow/green. Did I mention that he could not be bothered to remove two screws, but wasted plenty of time trying to tape the reflector off?
Yeah that:

Well, I am late to the party, but thrilled that find out you and I now share a very similar vehicle. The next time I ask you about fixing my fridge or sink pump perhaps you won't feign a mild interest in helping, but somehow drift off into finding something more interesting in capturing your attention!

For what it's worth, I have always been a bit bothered that while the PO's repaint of the bus is pretty good, it is too blue and a little too bright/garish. I prefer the toned down original L63H Sage Green.

I see you will be in Arlington VT (20 minutes from here and the site of out first couple of appointments) this spring. Trying to scrape together the pennies for IAC visit no. 6. I will post something over on the itinerary page once I figure out how to swing it.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu