Picked up my new project Saturday, 65 splitscreen 13 window

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Picked up my new project Saturday, 65 splitscreen 13 window

Post by TexasAirCooler » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:40 am

After dickering with the PO for almost eight years to reach I price I would go with. I brought it home yesterday.

I guess he may have thought I was crazy when shouting with joy while replacing the flat tired rims with wheels that held air and discovered the brake drums would turn freely!

Terry

'65 bus • restore project

"Heroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags."

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Picked up my new project Saturday, 65 splitscreen 13 win

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:42 am

Congrats. Exciting project.

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks, Buses are my preferred choice of VW's. I've had four bays in the past but this is my first split.
Terry

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:00 pm

looks real nice- whats the plan?
60 beetle
78 bus

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:06 am

Get it mechanically sound to drive. My 68 bay is still around as a parts hoe, I'll harvest the rear wheel openings and fuel tank. It's got RGB's so I'm thinking about a 1776 or 1850 cc power plant to help it up the hills. The undercarriage has only surface rust so after cleaning that up and coating it I can drive it while I do all the needed body work, the front floor needs to be replaced (SOP right) and the cargo floor at the side doors. Someone cut holes in the back above the engine for something.
After I paint and reinstall the glass, panel interior and set it up like a day camper.
Terry

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:05 am

TexasAirCooler wrote:Get it mechanically sound to drive. My 68 bay is still around as a parts hoe, I'll harvest the rear wheel openings and fuel tank. It's got RGB's so I'm thinking about a 1776 or 1850 cc power plant to help it up the hills. The undercarriage has only surface rust so after cleaning that up and coating it I can drive it while I do all the needed body work, the front floor needs to be replaced (SOP right) and the cargo floor at the side doors. Someone cut holes in the back above the engine for something.
After I paint and reinstall the glass, panel interior and set it up like a day camper.
Try stock engine for a while. Get to know its DNA before leaving the factory recipe. Even with a fire breather monster engine, the gearing is going to limit your progress. If you make a substantially more powerful engine, you will be at the transaxle divide, where a late model transaxle and IRS calls. Otherwise, you will be spinning the performance engine senselessly and having to shift at 8/20/35 regardless.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 am

Amskeptic wrote:Try stock engine for a while. Get to know its DNA before leaving the factory recipe.Colin
Don't worry Colin, when I posted that my engine size thinking is down the road a ways. I know I didn't specify that above, sorry.
I totally understand what your talking about. . And we know thinking and saying is only the easy part!

I'm the guy you chatted with at the Dallas, TX Keller's drive in about nine years ago that had the black '65 bug with a 1641, and pic 31 carb. (And I'm not expecting you to remember that!) The first year I had it I drove it with a 1200 to figure out it's DNA

The bus will be using a stock 1600 for it's first power plant. The plan is to use the one out of my daily driver. That engine's case is on it's last round but I think with my driving habits (keeping my foot off the clutch as much as possible) I'll be able to freshen it up and use it while I do all the body work on the bus.
After the bus is painted, I put a upgrade motor in it. Not wanting one that will breath fire, just have some nuts to get me up the hills.
Terry

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 am

TexasAirCooler wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Try stock engine for a while. Get to know its DNA before leaving the factory recipe.Colin
Don't worry Colin, when I posted that my engine size thinking is down the road a ways. I know I didn't specify that above, sorry.
I totally understand what your talking about. . And we know thinking and saying is only the easy part!

I'm the guy you chatted with at the Dallas, TX Keller's drive in about nine years ago that had the black '65 bug with a 1641, and pic 31 carb. (And I'm not expecting you to remember that!) The first year I had it I drove it with a 1200 to figure out it's DNA
I do remember that night, and I remember you. I just can't believe that was nine years ago. Have you seen James Dwan's '59 splitty?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Yes I've seen his bus, it's been a couple of years. I don't hang with that group anymore.
Terry