Frankenengine Update

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:35 pm

I just had a painful day with BusBerd, makes me sick.
300 miles on his rebuild, you can tell he cares, the engine (and the garage) were clean and organized. But the guy who rebuilt the engine had the rockers stands on upside down, an air injection plug blown out on the right head (that's where the unbelievable racket was coming from, and 55 lbs compression in #1, and oil leaks from the front seal area, "give it time to settle in" yeah RIGHT.
Here's BusBerd, all that time working on it, all those lovely powdercoated tins, painted springs, immaculate engine that barely runs, did I mention some scary noises? 300 miles.
Colin
(we can't be expected to do it all. I am as at the mercy of machinists as anyone. But we really do need to hold people to their task, and we MUST be informed exactly of what we want performed. People like Jake are valuable, but I am pissed that you have to PAY for quality that used to come with the personal pride of the person doing the work)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:42 pm

Amskeptic wrote: (we can't be expected to do it all. I am as at the mercy of machinists as anyone. But we really do need to hold people to their task, and we MUST be informed exactly of what we want performed. People like Jake are valuable, but I am pissed that you have to PAY for quality that used to come with the personal pride of the person doing the work)
It is unfortunate that you have to pay so much for the quality that was once there...

This is why someone needs to open a machine shop who owns a bus...some one like ratwell, Randy in Maine, Durocshark, etc. This way, we'd not have to second guess the quality of the parts we have machined...

I am just glad that we have a suplier such as Jake who puts out quality work and knows what he is doing.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:39 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote: I am just glad that we have a suplier such as Jake who puts out quality work and knows what he is doing.
It *is* nice to have him. Even if you can't afford his stuff, he's a great yardstick to measure the rest of the manufacturers against.