From Miami, Jivermo Bay Window Refresh

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

From Miami, Jivermo Bay Window Refresh

Post by Jivermo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:45 am

Update: paint and body work on the bus, some rusted metal cut out, and a lot of those minor, annoying tiny rust spots dealt with, under window gaskets, lower doors, etc. my son in law David laying on an epoxy primer.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: From Miami, Jivermo Bay Window Refresh

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Nice mask he is wearing....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re:From Miami, Jivermo Bay Window Refresh

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:21 am

Jivermo wrote:Update: paint and body work on the bus, some rusted metal cut out, and a lot of those minor, annoying tiny rust spots dealt with, under window gaskets, lower doors, etc. my son in law David laying on an epoxy primer.
Wow, you are in deep . . . I wasn't thinking that you, too, are experiencing your beloved automobile in pieces all over the place. Kinda disconcerting, no? But do use your imagination to fuel the process. You can see that new-looking car with fresh paint an, an, an, an, an an dleak-free windows.

Hey, great time to get the engine freshened up . . . :geek:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:48 am

Yep, in deep is the word. Yep, the paint mask. We spoke of this. You can lead a horse, etc., etc. Moving on...anyone know where to get the original style, double walled rubber gas filler, with the nice vent hole? You see the cheesy one from Bus Depot offered up as...what...a replacement? Should I attempt a black goop repair on the original, as the rubber seems to be in good, flexible condition?

Also, what to do about this crocodilian that inhabits this piece?

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:57 am

On the other end of the bus, we pulled the windshield. The frame to hold the gasket, on the bottom, was made up mostly of a built up Fiberglas layup. There were further rust areas, so we decided to get the Gerson piece, and weld in a entire new section.

These vehicles present such wonderful opportunity for fun times!

Will I ever really drive this thing again?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:07 am

Jivermo wrote:Yep, in deep is the word.

Should I attempt a black goop repair on the original, as the rubber seems to be in good, flexible condition?
Goop would have to be a couple of orders more insistent that it is "gasoline-proof" versus "gasoline resistant". Also, goop would need a serious adhesive component to it, and you would have to apply several broad layers that spread waaay out into the original rubber surfaces. This additional surface area would assist in bonding and wall strength. I have made my own goop/rubberized "fiberglass" with strong paper towel/goop layers. You could consider a nylon reinforced packing tape middle layer after you have applied a cured layer to the rubber itself.
Don't laugh. Concrete can't support a truck.
Rebar can't support a truck.
Concrete with rebar can hold up a whole freeway of trucks.
Jivermo wrote: Also, what to do about this crocodilian that inhabits this piece?
A) If deteriorated, remove said Vermilingua snout at once . . . surgically. Leave no tags.

B) May serve (by design or otherwise) as ye olde unleaded fuel restrictor but now as a decent splash deflector to prevent the filler cap gasket from taking a hit during a hard left corner with a full tank.

C) May serve as a nozzle guide/impact buffer at that nasty corner?
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:50 am

With fuel tank pulled, we cleaned out the entire tank/engine compartment, and painted with the Mar-Hyde Urethane primer. Rusted areas were first sanded and coated with POR-15.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:12 am

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 am

As Colin has said-"you are in deep!" Yes, I am...I have parts to this 1978 bus spread out all over the interior of the barn...old parts, new parts, Bus Depot boxes, German Supply cartons, Mar-Hyde, Raw-Hide, Nauga-Hyde, Jekyll and Hyde. I have the old case, which I am holding for an evaluation by IAC hisself, whenever he heads South again. And here I thought that driving this bus was what I would be doing...ha, ha...the big joke was on me. At least it's always warm enough down here to work outside...one could wear Daisy Dukes and a wife beater, for instance, if one wanted to.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:39 am

Jivermo wrote:As Colin has said-"you are in deep!" Yes, I am...I have parts to this 1978 bus spread out all over the interior of the barn...old parts, new parts, Bus Depot boxes, German Supply cartons, Mar-Hyde, Raw-Hide, Nauga-Hyde, Jekyll and Hyde. I have the old case, which I am holding for an evaluation by IAC hisself, whenever he heads South again. And here I thought that driving this bus was what I would be doing...ha, ha...the big joke was on me. At least it's always warm enough down here to work outside...one could wear Daisy Dukes and a wife beater, for instance, if one wanted to.
I am slowly freezing to death in this horrendous 54* cloudy cold snap. I would happily drive right on down if I wasn't waiting for a new Rancho sign-on-delivery transaxle. Then I get to install it.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:17 am

Bring it down here and install it. So warm, the mosquitoes have not quit for the year.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:24 pm

it's also not that cold in Homosassa, the (exact halfway point to Miami BTW)....
-Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:26 am

weisswurst wrote:it's also not that cold in Homosassa, the (exact halfway point to Miami BTW)....
-Jeff
Yeah, so I need to update my complaint about the 54* cold snap.
It is now 23* in Pensacola FL and my engine and transmission are all over the floor.
I have to stop sassing the Big Cahunga Up In The Sky about His stupid Cold As Hell Creation.

Jeff, I might be picking up an engine/transmission from Okeechobee as part of this February run from Sanford to Miami to Homosassa or whatever gets worked out. Since I truly Amskeptical about this new world, I promise nothing until I drive this new transaxle. There have been some questionable details . . .

Jivermo, what is the status of your engine situation? Are you merely sticking in a purchased long block?
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes. Come on down. Zeke is supposed to be here next week some time. What dates are you thinking? Feb? Or earlier?

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:12 pm

I need to make sure I clear the dates for Feb so I am here, please let me know when you can O Wandering One...
-jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."