You're going to put all this into THAT?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

You're going to put all this into THAT?

Post by drober23 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:05 pm

With the dome shed construction being underway, I needed some plywood. Took the bus to the big box store, went in and purchased 15 sheets of 3/4" plywood and six 2x6x10 pieces of lumber.

The cashier tells me to pull my vehicle up and an associate will help me load it. So I go out and pull the bus up to the loading area. About that time, the intrepid associate comes out, sees me, and starts heading the other way.
Me: "Excuse me, that's my order."
Him: "Really? You're going to fit all of this into THAT?"
Me: "Yes, no problem at all."
Him: "Hmm... people always think their purchases will fit..."
Me: "Humor me."
My bus is a '75 Westfalia, and I have removed the cabinets and sink. I put in a small cabinet behind the driver's seat to hold a spare tire, and also holds my toolbox. There is a cushion over the toolbox that acts as a seat, and is level with the fold out bed when it is in place. This makes the bus perfect for holding plywood sheets once the bed is laid out.
I opened the bus and arranged things, and surprise surprise, the plywood sheets fit easily in the back of the bus. The associate was stunned that the suspension didn't even complain.
Him: "Wow, my S-10 would have bottomed out with this much stuff in it."
Me: "Really? The bus could easily handle twice this load. Might not go very fast, but it would not be a problem for the suspension."
Then he was full of questions, and we had a nice chat about busses.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: You're going to put all this into THAT?

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:47 pm

drober23 wrote: Him: "Wow, my S-10 would have bottomed out with this much stuff in it."
Me: "Really? The bus could easily handle twice this load. Might not go very fast, but it would not be a problem for the suspension."
Then he was full of questions, and we had a nice chat about busses.
I sometimes have chatted up the dually Dodge Rams in Texas along those lines.
"Hey, what's yer payload on that thing?"
"Oh, it's a VVT Hemi V8 with 407 ft/lbs of torque with MDS Ram 1500HFE Active Level Air Suspension with 8-speed automatic with a pulsewidth modulated fuel pump and automatic locking hubs."
"Great. What's your payload?"
"Oh, yeah, that's 1,620 lbs with the short box, coulda had 1920 with the long box. how bout your little beetle bus?"
"1970 lbs payload."
"Holy crap, really? What's it got?
"Four banger. Air-cooled. 48 horse. 81 ft/lbs torque. 4-speed . . . . "
"Yer shittin me . . . "
"No really, drive behind me up a hill, you'll see . . . "
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles