The Chloe Build-Up - Done!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Chloe Build-Up

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:40 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:So, for clarity sake, you're saying the Wolfsburg West vent frame seals are good? How about the seal that the vent glass rests against?
What I said, with as much clarity as I could muster under the circumstances, was, "vent window vertical seal", which would be, of course, the vertical vent window seal that the vertical edge of the vent window glass presses against when you shut the vent window. This vent window vertical seal fits in a "channel" as mentioned, a vertical channel. That's what I said . . . :cyclopsani:

The vent window (frame) seals, I wrote "they are all VW seals". We *substituted* the Bus Depot vent window vertical seal that just wouldn't fit, with a Wolfsburg West vent window vertical seal that would. Well, that's what I said. :drunken:
wcfvw69 wrote: About three years ago, everyone in the bug forum was complaining about the Chinese windshield glass not fitting. Everyone started getting their windshield cut by using their known good windshields as patterns.
"Cut"? As in trimmed a little? Or cut as in "whole new windshield glass cut out of two sheets of glass laminated to each other"? Early bug and split window buses could get glass cut for the windshields, but were they laminated?

I believe that the laminating process has to occur before the forming of curved windshields found in the bay window buses.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Ok, I did re-read what you said. You did clearly distinguish between the vertical vent seal and frame seal and I clearly was in a fog from too many Wiskey's last night :geek: .. DOH! It's good to hear the the WW vent window seal was ok. The vent frame seal I have sucks.

In regards to the bug windshields, my understanding is the auto glass houses had one piece sheets of flat windshield glass (already laminated) that they laid the template over and cut. I know some of the later 60's bug winshields had a slight bow to them or at least that what they say. My 67 bug's, USA made PPG glass from the 90's was flat with no perceivable bow.

I haven't read any recent complaints about the bug windshields recently other than that one person who bought the two MAM windshields that were both returned. This give me hope that maybe the Chinese manufactures corrected their templates? Can I hope? Wish?

The Chinese logo from the glass I had installed in my 67 a year ago looks like a FY inside a diamond shaped logo. It was a perfect fit. Does your new windshield have a logo on it? The guy that bought the MAM glass said his logo was different.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Perfection IS The Enemy Of The Good

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:05 pm

That's how I roll. I will destroy any number of illustrations, letters, relationships, headliners . . . in the restless search for perfection . . . windshields, anyways,
I did not exactly ruin anything this time, but holy crap how close to the edge do I have to skate?

I yanked the too-big-incorrectly-formed windshield after a week because the seal was all pulled away at the upper edges (I hate that) and the headliner was way too close to the ceiling with that support bow jammed too far forward because of the TMI headliner had incorrect dimensions between each panel:

Here's the BobD. Note that the seam is in full view behind the visors, which are fairly close to the headliner. Heck, note the windshield seal in its full seated glory:

Now look at this poor Chloe. The windshield seal is about to pop free, the headliner seam is above the visors where its bow is crammed against the roof and the visors levitate in space:

Well, I :
a) found rust! under the windshield after only ONE car wash,
b) twisted the aluminum trim in the windshield rubber when it sprang off the glass
c) ripped the headliner a little "de-laminating" it from the adhesive caked on the windshield opening
d) trimmed the headliner bow too short in my effort to get it unjammed from the roof in its new TMI-mandated spot.
Without any tension, now it will not stay at all, it just droops.

I'm thinking, "I really do hate my OCD loser self after all."
1) The *original headliner* was not that bad to begin with!
2) The replacement headliner maybe looked a little dorky to ME, but geeze, now WHAT?

After a severe self-chastisement, I came up with work-arounds.
a) repainted the windshield channel and promised NO SHARP INSTRUMENTS at install time.
b) carefully closed the wound in the trim piece, now safely ensconsed in the rubber
c) see *
d) sawed two little blocks of wood that fit in the headliner bow channel and drilled little headliner bow holes to exactly the depth I want for just the right bow tension so I could pull the headliner down to the windshield opening just as much as I wanted to get the space over the visors to BobD perfection. Damn if I didn't, either. Plus, the tension I needed to drop the headliner down closer to the visors allowed me to *pull the ripped headliner clear of the car where I could trim it off and have a new shot at bonding to the windshield opening. Only took a DAY of tedious wood block drilling, and some new stapling (!) of the headliner seams where the shoddy TMI stitching kept unravelling.

Good enough, leave it ALONE, Colin.

Did you see that windshield seal in the above photograph? It's fully seated now. I sanded that Chinese windshield from 5:00PM to 11:45 PM last night. Every 30 minutes I would see Progress! because I would have to razor off the laminate plastic from the diminishing edge. I only trimmed halfway to the marker line in the below photograph. Terribly tedious, but I wanted that windshield to fit correctly. Had to listen to the "hit radio" DJ field calls from broken-hearted or love-besotted teenagers:

Gave up on the speaker wire glass installation cord. It was ruined, anyway. Walked to the Pensacola Hardware Store. Got some parachute cord, heck, only 15 cents a foot.

Ever make someone laugh until they cry? I must have hit the cashier in some deep recognition place.
He says, "That'll be $2.62."
I say, "$2.62? Oh man, I am going to have to refinance the house . . . AGAIN."
He was trying to keep it quiet, but couldn't stop laughing.

Windshield went right in. See, you drive up to the wall. Stick big ass 2x4 between wall and glass you have just propped on the channel. Clapboard wall allows you to Kustom-Adjust the push. Pull parachute cord. Windshield IN:

It's good enough, leave it alone. Get to the leaky vent windows . . . . quit giving wcfvw69 a hard time . . .
Colin :geek:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:10 am

wcfvw69 wrote:I know some of the later 60's bug winshields had a slight bow to them or at least that what they say. My 67 bug's, USA made PPG glass from the 90's was flat with no perceivable bow.
1964 and earlier had the flat glass windshields, '65-up Beetle has a slight curve .. at least on the tintops, not sure about the convertibles. And yeah, there are still glass shops that can cut flat windshields from sheets of safety glass; my father had to replace the upper windshield in his '26 Chevy last summer, picked up a rock chip on tour.

Still no word on the windshield brand...?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:13 am

tristessa wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:I know some of the later 60's bug winshields had a slight bow to them or at least that what they say. My 67 bug's, USA made PPG glass from the 90's was flat with no perceivable bow.
1964 and earlier had the flat glass windshields, '65-up Beetle has a slight curve .. at least on the tintops, not sure about the convertibles. And yeah, there are still glass shops that can cut flat windshields from sheets of safety glass; my father had to replace the upper windshield in his '26 Chevy last summer, picked up a rock chip on tour.

Still no word on the windshield brand...?
It is this here FY brand. The pretty much worst brand in the automotive windshield market, I've been told. I shall smile when some pick up truck driver spews gravel in Missoula Montana and cracks my windshield again.
"Thank God you broke my windshield, thanks, buddy!"
"Damn hippies."

FY likes itself just fine, though.
The “FY” trademark of the products so far stands out exclusively in the Chinese automotive glass industries as the “Chinese famous trademark” and since 2004 received two times consecutively the title of “China Famous Brand Products”. Fuyao products are appraised to be “the Nationwide End-user Satisfied Products”
I remember well my glorious Glorious Success Glassworks windshield in the Road Warrior, fresh from Guangzhou China. It had perfect optics, but was prone to chips.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Today was a long day . . . .

Drilled out the door panel clip holes to late Beetle size so I could use up my incorrectly supplied rubber grommets and clips from Rocky Mountain Motorworks that I bought for the Road Warrior in August of 2001. Who needs rubber door clip grommets for these passenger cabin panels, you ask? I do. I made fully a day of protecting these new old stock interior panels from my poorly behaved vent windows.

Drilled and opened up drain holes behind the panels and under the rear seat:

Under the leak-prone windows, I put rubber encapsulated clips

Painted the masonite side of all panels with clearcoat as a water barrier:

Installed vapor barriers in the sliding door and along the left side of the car:

Look at what my vent window did Chloe's original sliding door panel on the floor here! Not gonna happen with that new old stock one:

Re-lubricated both door handle and latch assemblies, and painted them. Here's the completed sliding door:

Installed a gutter (!) between the vapor barriers and the door sills, and am temporarily using wire ties to keep little slots open to drain the water right down to the floor and out through the rockers. Not so terribly noticeable when viewing from the side:

Terribly noticeable when looking down to make sure the potential water has a place to go. Too bad! When I figure out how to make my vent windows not leak EVER, I will take this nonsense out:

The interior is looking pretty good right about now . . . still needs seats.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Chloe Build-Up - Done!

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:46 am

Done! Must get to Jacksonville, photodump!

48 hours ago!

New door/interior panels! Bookwus had these in-waiting when I got the car. Finally, Mike, they are in!

Painted door latch assemblies . . .

Chromy door pulls, Homey . . .

Off to Jacksonville . . .

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:00 am

Hoo-Ray!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Simply bbeeeuuutttiiifuulllll... =D>

Well done sir.

BTW, what kind of grease/lube/oily stuff do you use in the door latches and mechanisms?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:40 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Simply bbeeeuuutttiiifuulllll... =D>

Well done sir.

BTW, what kind of grease/lube/oily stuff do you use in the door latches and mechanisms?
All sliding surfaces get Valvoline DuraBlend semi-synthetic molybdenum disulfide grease. All rotational parts (like latches, sliding door rollers, any bronze bushings) get engine oil, tumblers get graphite powder.
ColinInJacksonville

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 am

The headliner/interior panels now have an additional thousand miles on them since last week. Horrifyingly, the little dorky lawn sprinklers at white74westy's house managed to overpower my left rear vent window sealing. The plastic sheeting/wire ties engineering did not work well enough to prevent trickles of water from cascading over the NEW OLD STOCK INTERIOR PANELS, I was devastated, but had to keep up appearances.

The cabin vent windows have been demoted to Decorative Oddities, and are caulked closed permanently. Death Valley is just going to have to be traversed nekkid next summer.
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Speeding?"
"Don't be a smart-ass, I pulled you over bec. . . oh my god, what the hell? what is wrong with you, that's disgusting, step out of the veh, no wait, don't step out of the vehicle! Put on some clothes, geezus h christmas, you're getting a ticket for, for , your getting a ticket, that's all I can tell you."
"Officer, my vent windows leaked in Jacksonville Florida last December, I had to caulk them closed."
"Ohhh, you gotta keep those interior panels from warping. Why didn't you tell me? OK, have a nice day. Stay cool!"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:16 am

Sorry to hear the vents didn't seal up correctly upon reinstallation. =(

You can just caulk them well enough to seal out the water? I'd like to do that on my drivers side sliding window if possible. Until I can take care of it properly anyway, because that thing leaks all the damn time. Clear caulk on the outside along the seal/body?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=404269

Fill the cooler up with ice and water, plug it into the Cigarette Lighter and you'll keep the inside of your Bus real cool, as well as a couple of drinks.
:thumbleft:
1979 California Transporter

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:17 am

I am reminded of why my son and his friends refer to you as the "VW bus guy with the Daisy Dukes...".

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Sorry to hear the vents didn't seal up correctly upon reinstallation. =(
You can just caulk them well enough to seal out the water? I'd like to do that on my drivers side sliding window if possible.
Yes, my windows neither leak nor open now.

Where is your slider leaking, exactly?
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 pm

The sliding window on the drivers side, bottom corner closest to the driver. Could just be the rust holes likely under the seal the interior panel is already warped, I'd just like to minimize the moisture inside

The rear hatch is worse right now but I have a course of action already for it. I'll squeeze the bus in the garage for a few weeks until I can address both
1979 California Transporter