Newly Rebuilt Engine Questions 1980 Vanagon

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: Newly Rebuilt Engine Questions 1980 Vanagon

Post by cegammel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Another issue has reared its ugly head...I am now at 3400 miles on this engine. Oil change 300, oil change at 1300, and last week, oil change at 3300. There was ONE flake of scraped aluminum in my strainer. Should I be overly concerned? I already tossed the filter, unfortunately.

Thanks...

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:54 pm

I would not be. If it is performing well, with no knocks, and compression and oil consumption is in line, keep driving, unless your down for an end play check.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:26 am

Thanks. That puts me more at ease.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:13 am

cegammel wrote:Thanks. That puts me more at ease.
I had a magnificent scare with the Road Warrior in 1991 after I did the 300,000 overhaul. First oil change had aluminum flakes and dangerous looking grey swirls. I thought to myself, "it's just breaking in, silly billy." Next oil change was worse, aluminum flakes and dangerous looking grey and a little copper too, and a nasty shard of blued steel. WTF? Now I am thinking, "should I tear it down or should I leave it alone, should I tear it down or should I leave it alone, should I tear it down or should I leave it alone..."
Well, I left it alone. Then it cleared up at the 3,000 mile oil change. 106,000 miles later, I discovered what that was all about. The #2 main bearing shell, I FORGOT TO PUT THE LOCATING DOWEL IN THE CRANKCASE. It moved sideways and hit the rotating crankshaft cheek (that is where the steel shard came from), the bearing got its side eaten off a bit (the grey swirls), the engine should have had a catastrophic failure but it redeveloped a decent oil film between the bearing the crank, and gave me a very nice life span. The aluminum flakes (the thing you are concerned about) were just little bits of piston aluminum from things like scratching the wrist pin bore when putting in the circlips, or cam gear teeth working themselves to the crankshaft gear teeth.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:54 am

Let's hope that's all. I saved that scraplet for your next visit. Also, I just purchased a completely derelict 74 Super Beetle... I got the wheels turning last night so I can roll it into the backyard, then the real work can begin. It is in terrible shape, and I discovered last night, the engine is locked up. This will be a mighty fun project; one which will likely have us seeing dollar signs...mine will unfortunately be red.

I'm not quite ready for another visit on your early loop through the deep south, but perhaps later in the fall, or early next year when you come back through, we can play with the Vanagon's minor issues and the Beetle's more significant scars.

On the Vanagon, is the IAC oil change recommendation 3000 miles? Is Zinc a necessary additive?

Thanks!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am

cegammel wrote: I saved that scraplet for your next visit.
derelict 74 Super Beetle engine is locked up.
visit later in the fall?
oil change recommendation 3000 miles?
Is Zinc a necessary additive?

Thanks!
a) look forward to forensic analysis
b) get some Marvel Mystery oil down the spark plug holes, compressed air would be exceptionally helpful.
c) yes please
d) 3-5k depending on humidity and temperature
e) hocus pokus
Colin

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:38 am

Quick Question:

Having perused the head temp logs posted here, I'm seeing mostly temps lower than what my van runs. I'm fairly convinced that this is why VW chose not to install head temp gauges on Vanagons...

I run 300-350 around town, up to about 45 mph (mostly 3rd gear stuff), which seems fine.
At 55-60 on the highway, temps rise to 400*; at 60-65, it's up to 425ish (VDO gauge, works in 50* increments).

It hasn't passed the mid 425 range. I'm planning a 500 mile run tomorrow...so, if these numbers seem way off, let me know quick!

I'm only concerned because these numbers have changed...Before switching back to OEM fuel injectors, I was running TOPS 400*, even at 65-70 mph. After the switch, everything's 25* hotter. I installed a properly functioning thermostat at the same time (it is opening fully...checked that first).

Thanks!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:37 am

While the VDO gauges aren't great at telling you what the actual temp is, the trending patterns are important and you did notice a change.

What made you change the fuel injectors? Would there be a problem with putting the ones that were there before back in? If you weren't getting the power you wanted before and now you are, but are also getting additional heat - that wouldn't come as a surprise.

My aircooled Vanagon ran pretty damn hot most of the time. People think im crazy when I say this, but it's just not geared very well compared to a baywindow. 3rd gear is really short, requiring an upshift at 45 MPH and then it lugs the motor hard when you go into 4th at 45. That was my experience anyway, YMMV. For me the engine was only happy driving around town or on a flat highway at 60 MPH. It would go faster but the temps would always climb like crazy. Eventually I said screw it and just drove it while the CHT's were in the 450* range constantly, as I knew it was likely just a poor engine build and didn't want to invest any more money or time into trying to save that turd.

If you haven't already, it might be time to start thinking about the ultimate in VooDoo tinkering - AFM adjustments. Mark and count how many teeth you go so you can get back to where you started if need be. Seriously. It's a scary undertaking without an LM1 or the like.
1979 California Transporter

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 pm

I pulled the knock off injectors due to frequent, one after another failures...
I think I will make my trip tomorrow, then give the afm a shot if she demands it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:18 pm

airkooledchris wrote:While the VDO gauges aren't great at telling you what the actual temp is, the trending patterns are important and you did notice a change.
Hell, let's do the simple math:

VDO assumes it is 70* ambient.

Ambient is 55* in south Georgia.

Gauge reads "X" differential from 70*

Let's say 425 - 70 = 355

Add 355 to actual 55* and it is 410*.

Just subtract the difference between ambient and 70* from your gauge reading if it is colder than 70.
Add if it is above 70*. . . well, to a point. I read 460* on a VDO back in 2005 and it was 108* outside.
Allegedly, I was to add 38* to my reading i.e. 498*, but I called bulls*** and yanked that stupid piece of crap off my engine.
ColinPhooey

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 pm

540 miles today; 60-65 mph; right on at 400 degrees, just like old times....I guess my higher readings were flukie. Thanks!

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:05 pm

New problems...drove the van to work yesterday without issue. Cranked it up tonight, and I was greeted a horrendous knocking noise. I checked the oil, which was a touch low. Started it back...still knocking. Visually inspected my rockers, just to see if something was happening there. I narrowed the noise to the 1 / 2 side. So, finding nothing strange, I took it for a high speed run for about 4 miles, and the noise stopped. I kept running another 5 or 6 miles, and all seems good.

So, why would my lifter have become so air bound in only 16 hours? I have videos of the noise to upload later for your listening pleasure...

Here's the link to the whole Vanagon Album. The videos are in there...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10963062 ... Yvy-d2lzwE

I'll keep looking for a way to upload.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:48 am

@#%$! lifter is bound again this morning. Is there a cure for this? These lifters are new...and showed no issues for the last 6 months...now, all of a sudden...unnerving racket.

Bleh...now my brakes are also failing.

When stopped on a hill where steady pressure is required, the pedal slowly but surely sinks to the floor. Pumping it corrects the issue. With the engine off, the pedal holds firm. What do we think?

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:24 pm

welcome to Vanagon ownership. After all, these vans are 30+ years old, and some parts are past service life. Newer vehicles have a 5 year shelf life.

Check under your dashboard to see if your brake light switch is leaking or master cylinder. If not, you may have a caliper or slave cylinder leaking. All three are easy fix.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:09 pm

I haven't found a physical leak, and there doesn't seem to be a drop in the res. I did the Bentley booster test: engine off , start, pedal drop, and the pedal just kept dropping to the floor. I'll pull everything off and look again this weekend for leaks. With the engine off, the pedal seems to stay hard about half way down its travel.

Colin said somewhere that the booster causes a high, hard pedal, right? I certainly don't have that...

Hoping for a trip over spring break...so I've got one week to get this licked.