Resilience

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Re: Broke Down

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 am

Amskeptic wrote:
sped372 wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:...make memories this summer.
I am proud of you for doing this. Memories aren't made at home on the couch and I applaud you for your courage.
I second that. I would guess that Spiderman is/was doing his best to contribute.

I third that! I could not have said it any better than sped. Man are you guys the strongest family ever! If/when I find myself in a similar family situation, I will take cues from you guys on how to handle things. You for sure are doing it the right way.

If you are still in Grand Rapids, check out Founders brewery. Also, if you are driving home and going thru Chicago (and not taking a ferry across Lake Michigan), stop at Sherman's Ice Cream - Exit 23 (Phoenix Rd) on 196 in South Haven MI - it is just east of 196 - insane amount of milkfat - huge scoops - old school ice cream place.

I have continued and will continue to send good vibes.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:42 am

Hey Chris, best of luck on the remainder of the trip! Enjoy!

A Raby engine would be sweet, but do look into Adrian at Headflow Masters!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am

poptop tom wrote:Hey Chris, best of luck on the remainder of the trip! Enjoy!

I say build your own memories. A Raby engine is just another huge blue and purple stuffed Panda from the county fair, your own sewn-together fuzzy bear is the heart-grabber.
Colin
(but if time is knocking on the door, I would understand)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Hey Chris, best of luck on the remainder of the trip! Enjoy!

I say build your own memories. A Raby engine is just another huge blue and purple stuffed Panda from the county fair, your own sewn-together fuzzy bear is the heart-grabber.
Colin
(but if time is knocking on the door, I would understand)
If it's time that's knocking, you don't want to "wait list" a Raby build.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 pm

I do believe that the Camper Special is now a defunct program.

Belle Plaine, I have two daughters, 11 and 15. Your daughter's story and your perseverance as a family have made an impression on me. I feel blessed for the health we have been given, but your daughter's story along with that of your family and that of a close friend of mine with MS (who also beat an early diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer!!!) have helped me to understand better how fragile that health can be and how easily taken for granted life often is. Love the road you have to travel and appreciate it to the fullest.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:05 am

jimbear wrote: how easily taken for granted life often is.
Love the road you have to travel and appreciate it to the fullest.
=D>
Colin
(didn't think about the Raby wait list, so now you HAVE to rebuild yerself. We'll help. Your son will find it unforgettable if you spoon out little important tasks to him)

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks for the good vibes, all.

We've arrived in Grand Rapids late Tuesday for evaluation at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. Tumors are growing quickly, doubling/tripling in size over the past 6 weeks or so. In a couple more months, Emma would have difficultly breathing but today we have been approved for a new treatment designed for kids like Emma. Many other parents have been in our shoes and we draw strength from their stories of hope. Our goals have changed from killing the cancer to healing our daughter, focusing on providing a high quality of life. We don't think that we will ever be cancer-free, but this treatment is advertised to be well tolerated and if it works, it should stop her tumors from growing. Essentially, hopefully, we will live with a chronic but manageable disease. Yesterday, marked four years since we were first diagnosed.

We are here for another week and so Colin, I will be available of our appointment. I'm really looking forward to it. I just ordered the Tom Wilson book and would like to review my small stock of spare, non-running engines to see which would be the best candidate for a rebuild.

That's all for now... I work in the brewing industry and it's been a week since I've had a beer. Now that we are done for the week, we are off to visit friends at Founders.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear about the new treatment. Have fun at Founders.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:27 am

BellePlaine wrote:Thanks for the good vibes, all.

We've arrived in Grand Rapids late Tuesday for evaluation at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. Tumors are growing quickly, doubling/tripling in size over the past 6 weeks or so. In a couple more months, Emma would have difficultly breathing but today we have been approved for a new treatment designed for kids like Emma. Many other parents have been in our shoes and we draw strength from their stories of hope. Our goals have changed from killing the cancer to healing our daughter, focusing on providing a high quality of life. We don't think that we will ever be cancer-free, but this treatment is advertised to be well tolerated and if it works, it should stop her tumors from growing. Essentially, hopefully, we will live with a chronic but manageable disease. Yesterday, marked four years since we were first diagnosed.

We are here for another week and so Colin, I will be available of our appointment. I'm really looking forward to it. I just ordered the Tom Wilson book and would like to review my small stock of spare, non-running engines to see which would be the best candidate for a rebuild.

That's all for now... I work in the brewing industry and it's been a week since I've had a beer. Now that we are done for the week, we are off to visit friends at Founders.
Have a beer. See you soon. Then we'll have another.
Colin

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 am

So I just bought this engine from aeromech.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1750802

It's an "ED" engine, case anyway. Gary measured the endplay at 0.0035 and compression at #1 - 120, #2 - 132, #3 - 128, #4 - 134. Not too shabby. Apparently it sat for 10 years in a garage before Gary got it, that's all we really know about it.

The plan is to throw fuel injection at it and get back on the road.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 am

nice find and from a seller on TS that id actually put quite a bit of trust into. hope it works out for you. FI makes sense, as would anything other than that silly centermount weber.
1979 California Transporter

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 am

Yeah, I know of aeromech and am glad to work with him. I'm getting a fair deal and it gets me on the road. My intention was to rebuild an engine with a Camper Special kit but LN Engineering isn't offering the balancing service that Raby once offered which is a bummer. I still might try down the road.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:29 am

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your future journeys!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Definitely looking forward to seeing that clean engine put to use!
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 am

BellePlaine wrote:Yeah, I know of aeromech and am glad to work with him. I'm getting a fair deal and it gets me on the road. My intention was to rebuild an engine with a Camper Special kit but LN Engineering isn't offering the balancing service that Raby once offered which is a bummer. I still might try down the road.
So, does LN Engineering *recommend* balancing?
"Uh, yeah, good luck with that . . ." ??
Colin