Frozen Accel Cable

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Frozen Accel Cable

Post by Psucamper » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Subject: 1979 T2 Westy, 2 liter, GE case. Automatic trans. While prepping to do rust out body work I started to remove engine. Detaching the accel cable at the throttle body found not possible. Cable frozen in tube and the attaching cable end at throttle bent at a nasty angle. Looks like the end of the cable is unlike previous models and the the 79 cable end has an M6x1 threaded rod/spring assembly.
For several reasons I was forced to cut the threaded rod to access the cable itself.
As stated,...it's frozen. Tried pulling at both ends. No go!
I have several older model throttle bodies that a cable attaches to in the usual way with a small barrel and M8 screw like on carburetors. Maybe my impending retrofit can use one of these. The previous cable end is destroyed and not repairable.
But..I worry that with an automatic trans, the goofy 79 special cable end plays an important part in auto "kick-down"or something. I don't see the connection, but maybe? Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Frozen Accel Cable

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 am

Psucamper wrote:Subject: 1979 T2 Westy, 2 liter, GE case. Automatic trans. While prepping to do rust out body work I started to remove engine. Detaching the accel cable at the throttle body found not possible. Cable frozen in tube and the attaching cable end at throttle bent at a nasty angle. Looks like the end of the cable is unlike previous models and the the 79 cable end has an M6x1 threaded rod/spring assembly.
For several reasons I was forced to cut the threaded rod to access the cable itself.
As stated,...it's frozen. Tried pulling at both ends. No go!
I have several older model throttle bodies that a cable attaches to in the usual way with a small barrel and M8 screw like on carburetors. Maybe my impending retrofit can use one of these. The previous cable end is destroyed and not repairable.
But..I worry that with an automatic trans, the goofy 79 special cable end plays an important part in auto "kick-down"or something. I don't see the connection, but maybe? Any help or thoughts appreciated.
It is a special end, and it does involve kickdown. To remove that thing usually requires pulling the spring-loaded spring end firmly and releasing a retainer circlip. With the spring released, you then can release the end from the throttle lever.

This system allows the accelerator to fully open the throttle, then go an additional several millimeters (thus compressing the spring) to kick down the transmission. The Bentley Manual has a decent write-up on adjusting that system, it really is elegant under the grime.
Colin
(but if it is cut off, it may not adjust too well . . . :blackeye: )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Colin. Thanks for the prompt reply. You're right! The kickdown mechanism is fiendishly clever and its functioning easily overlooked. A replacement cable is available but finding the fractured throttle/spring device is an other matter. Then......there's that immovable cable.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Psucamper wrote:Then......there's that immovable cable.
PB Blaster applications where accessible for a few days. Then try torsional freeing versus dead-pull.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles