Shore inlet-outlet?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

72Hardtop
Old School!

Shore inlet-outlet?

Post by 72Hardtop » Wed May 28, 2014 1:52 pm

Thinking of replacing the wiring and outlet. How straight forward of a job is this? What type of outlet and wiring should I use? I know VW used aluminum wiring and would like to replace it with copper. What size wiring?
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: Shore inlet-outlet?

Post by energyturtle » Thu May 29, 2014 2:33 pm

I am not sure if this will help. During my interior refresh I used regular insulated copper house wiring. It works fine and maintains 4.5 amps at the battery charger/power converter. It never blows the factory breaker, and I have had some serious stuff plugged into that outlet. 110v ac, coil heater, 250w/ch 1974 Kenwood receiver. I will stop there as you probably get the point. The wires never get hot, absolutely no problems. I can post pics of the whole thing if you would like. It is very straight forward. My bus is a 1978 and had copper wiring to start with. I don't know if it was OG, but it sure was clean and pretty.
Scottie

drober23
Addicted!

Re: Shore inlet-outlet?

Post by drober23 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 pm

This is a relatively easy job. 12 gauge "house wiring" , the yellow cable with three connectors inside, is probably overkill, but is what I used. 14 gauge is probably sufficient.

I kept the OG plug on the side of the van, and the outlet receptacle in the camper bench. Not sure what I would replace them with if I had to.

DJ Roberts
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey