Have you ever put on a new tent canvas???

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

CrackerJack
I'm New!

Have you ever put on a new tent canvas???

Post by CrackerJack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello there,
I bought an '81 Vanagon Westfalia that didn't have a canvas tent in it. I pickup up the three window tent and now am going to attempt to put it in. If you have ever done it and would like to make some cash, please shoot me a line. I will pay you to help me or pay you to just put it in? The process would have been easier if I would have been able to take the old one out. I have watched some videos already, so that advice won't help me. I have the metal rails and the plastic trim. If you are in or around the Portland, OR area and think you can help, please shoot me a line!~
Let me know and thanks!!
CJ

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Have you ever put on a new tent canvas???

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Hey crackerjack - Where are you located (hint - update your profile so it shows when you post). A lot of folks here are more than willing to help. Better yet, sign up for one of Colin's visits :cyclopsani: . If you are within driving distance of detroit, MI I can help for the price of a few amber beverages :bom: . I did mine by myself, but with two people and the help of my air compressor and brad nailer we can make easy work of it.

EDIT: Although I have a heated garage, it's not tall enough to pop the top, so we will need to wait until we have decent weather (in the 40's or 50's).

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Hey crackerjack - Where are you located (hint - update your profile so it shows when you post). A lot of folks here are more than willing to help. Better yet, sign up for one of Colin's visits :cyclopsani: . If you are within driving distance of detroit, MI I can help for the price of a few amber beverages :bom: . I did mine by myself, but with two people and the help of my air compressor and brad nailer we can make easy work of it.

EDIT: Although I have a heated garage, it's not tall enough to pop the top, so we will need to wait until we have decent weather (in the 40's or 50's).

Cheers,
Mike
I believe he wrote:
"If you are in or around the Portland, OR area and think you can help, please shoot me a line!~"

Me? I have never done Westy accoutrement . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 am

I did mine and it's a two person job lining up the fabric and keeping in place with spring clamps. Then air staple it to the top first and then mount the top and fasten the tent to the body with the aluminum strips.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 am

Amskeptic wrote:
I believe he wrote:
"If you are in or around the Portland, OR area and think you can help, please shoot me a line!~"

Me? I have never done Westy accoutrement . . .
Colin
My bad - My ADD must have been kicking in and missed that. But hey, the offer still stands. :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:03 pm

I did the canvas on my 1975. I'm guessing the vanagon is the same process.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
I believe he wrote:
My bad -
But hey, the offer still stands. :flower:
See, that is what it is about this hobby . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles