winter storage dilemma

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: winter storage dilemma

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 am

sped372 wrote:Do you change oil again in the spring or just run with the new-for-storage oil until the next change?
I take off in the spring barely even washing the windows on my way out into the sunshine . . . :compress:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 am

Since I live in NW Florida, we don't garage our air cooleds for the winter, we just turn off the a/c, roll the windows down, and drive.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:11 am

Well, I got her out of storage yesterday. After 6-months at rest, I was happy that:

1 - no mouse turds to be found
2 - not a SPEC of dust/dirt had accumulated
3 - only a dime-size oil spot
4 - after I connected the battery, it started up immediately.....seriously...it may have cranked all of 2 seconds before she fired

I did have to battle a bled-down lifter for about 30 minutes, but it eventually pumped up and quieted down. Had a great 1.5 hour drive home thru rural Illinois....I only got a minute into it before people were waving to me and flashing peace signs.....brought a smile to my face......but was quickly reminded that I need to attend to that darned shifter noise!!!

All in all, another successful wake-up from hibernation!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:57 am

Mr Blotto wrote:Well, I got her out of storage yesterday. After 6-months at rest, I was happy that:

1 - no mouse turds to be found
2 - not a SPEC of dust/dirt had accumulated
3 - only a dime-size oil spot
4 - after I connected the battery, it started up immediately.....seriously...it may have cranked all of 2 seconds before she fired

I did have to battle a bled-down lifter for about 30 minutes, but it eventually pumped up and quieted down. Had a great 1.5 hour drive home thru rural Illinois....I only got a minute into it before people were waving to me and flashing peace signs.....brought a smile to my face......but was quickly reminded that I need to attend to that darned shifter noise!!!

All in all, another successful wake-up from hibernation!
Nice! Always a great feeling to get the bus rollin' again, congrats.

Can I assume your screen name is in reference to the band in your area? If yes, I am a fan of Mr B and have had my bus at a number of the yearly Blottopia's....after missing last year, can't wait to go to the new location.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI