My Fourth Engine Build

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: My Fourth Engine Build

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 am

hambone wrote: I went thru that too with a customer's engine, oops. Just threaded the studs in further, but you may not be able to..
Threadlocked.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:45 pm

Saws alls are dangerous tools. One of those and a twisted frame of mind, you can lose a roof.

Hal gave me sound advice, and I played with the tin today before committing to painting it. Much re-bending, and a big fail. Tough to incorporate a dog house oil cooler system when there's no hole in that back piece of tin to accommodate the exhausting of the hot air of that system outside the engine compartment. Doh! Picked the best of the lot, but that back piece, all have are single port with no hole for the dog house exhaust. I have one, but it's an obvious modification.

No Sir, I don't like it.

Now a question I haven't been able to confirm, the tab on the bit of exhausting tin, does it go on the engine side of that back piece of tin, or the outside?

Of course some of the tabs on the tin for the screws to attach the tin are mangled bad. Broken, wallowed out to the size of a dime, missing. Gonna try JB Weld and washers to in theory give me a more solid point for snugging the tin into place.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 am

ruckman101 wrote:Saws alls are dangerous tools. One of those and a twisted frame of mind, you can lose a roof. Hal gave me sound advice, and I played with the tin today before committing to painting it. Much re-bending, and a big fail. Tough to incorporate a dog house oil cooler system when there's no hole in that back piece of tin to accommodate the exhausting of the hot air of that system outside the engine compartment. Doh! Picked the best of the lot, but that back piece, all have are single port with no hole for the dog house exhaust. I have one, but it's an obvious modification. No Sir, I don't like it. Now a question I haven't been able to confirm, the tab on the bit of exhausting tin, does it go on the engine side of that back piece of tin, or the outside? Of course some of the tabs on the tin for the screws to attach the tin are mangled bad. Broken, wallowed out to the size of a dime, missing. Gonna try JB Weld and washers to in theory give me a more solid point for snugging the tin into place.
neal
I'm lost. :flower:

The front tin is the front tin. If you have a doghouse cooler, that front tin is supposed to have a hole for the oil cooler outlet. There is no attachment whatsoever. The outlet duct just passes through the front tin with a seal around it to keep the dust down. I see no fitment issue with cutting a hole for the oil cooler outlet, except that it is destroying parts made for other cars and your home-engineering may be less-than-satisfactory. You see a screw hole near the bottom of the fan housing? It is waiting for the screw that holds the outlet duct to the FRONT of the fan housing. It is all hidden by the doghouse tin, which attaches to the stud up near the top of the fan housing that holds the doghouse tin (uses a 10mm nut). The doghouse has a foam seal between it and the cooler. The bottom of the cooler needs the famous "Hoover bit".

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:58 am

Got them. Hoover bits. And then I read a Hoover bit I didn't want to hear. Replace with new oil cooler. I can only do so much.

On the other hand, all the tin has been gently coaxed back to shape closer than it was before, wire brushed and double coated in a rust arrest paint formula I got a gallon of cheap from a rebuilding center and first used for the tin on Gretchen Ghia's engine.

Valve train is the next concern, rocker arms. Geometry.

And you wouldn't believe my troubles with the oil drain plate.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:55 pm

So looking over the oil screens I have for Bertha Bus's new engine. 1600 sp with doghouse oil cooler. Narrowed down to two choices, and my ever questioning brain has got me wondering which to use.

Initially I was leaning to the one on the right, as the screening is a slightly finer mesh.

The hole where the pickup tube also appears tighter, although both drop onto the tube effortlessly, which also concerns me. My assumption is that the fit would be a bit tight to ensure a minimum of oil is bypassing the screen by coming in along the sides of the pick-up tube.

The one on the left is definitely a higher quality of manufacture, stiffer bottom plate. The one on the right was manufactured in Brasil.

Then there is the spring.

Why? Why is there the spring? In case the screen becomes completely clogged? Pressure pushes it down and oil is allowed to bypass the screen to prevent starvation?

Yes, I'm prone to over-thinking these things. Leaning towards using the one on the left now, but wondering, regardless, if I should try to pull the tangs in a bit for a tighter fit on the pick-up tube, or if I should just not worry about it.

What are thoughts of others?

thanks,
neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:35 pm

ruckman101 wrote:So looking over the oil screens I have for Bertha Bus's new engine. Narrowed down to two choices, and my ever questioning brain has got me wondering which to use.
thanks,
neal
For those of us who maintain our engines, go for the finer mesh.

Please drill out the 6 perimeter holes just a bit so you can get the strainer onto the studs with as little annoyance as possible. The spring is just to insure that the screen has a decent contact with the pick up.

Check the screens for absolutely perfect protection. I am strangely relaxed about driving an engine with only screen protection. Once your engine is clean inside, you can keep it that way with properly fitting air cleaners, breathers, valve cover gaskets, etc.

Those poor little engines, "what? all we get is a screen? our bearings are .003" clearance like everybody else!"
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Okay, so I'm coming down the home stretch, hoping to get Bertha Bus back on the road to make it to the Nehalem Un-Super Bowl camp out, and of course have hit a snag.

Going to a dog house oil cooler, and realized I don't have the two short bits of thermostat linkage I need. Sigh.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:20 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Okay, so I'm coming down the home stretch, hoping to get Bertha Bus back on the road to make it to the Nehalem Un-Super Bowl camp out, and of course have hit a snag.

Going to a dog house oil cooler, and realized I don't have the two short bits of thermostat linkage I need. Sigh.

neal
You can make them out of old steel rulers in a pinch. Drill carefully so the flaps open synchronously.
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Ignition day is this Saturday, 2/15. Getting the new engine into Bertha tomorrow, and Saturday break in and test drive. Would love to have folks come up and witness the sphincter clenching moment. All are invited. Will try to have some pizza on hand, but beverages of the adult variety are of short supply.

neal

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am

I'd love to see you place, hang out and lend a hand but I have family commitments in the afternoon and will be helping Hal sometime in the morning.
Like the commercial says, "you got this."
Take pictures
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 am

No worries, and video in a year.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Ok, got it in ... just. Still have to hook everything up. So ignition could be Sunday. Detail, detail. Like re-orienting a fuel hose clamp because it was in the way of the distributor cap. Like taking off the carburetor and realizing there were three gaskets under it. So forth and so on.

Eh, fantastic jack. Slid right in.

neal

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:34 pm

ruckman101 wrote:No worries, and video in a year.
That quickly?

:cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:00 am

ruckman101 wrote:Ok, got it in ... just. Still have to hook everything up.
neal
Waiting with bated breath . . . .
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 am

Amskeptic wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:Ok, got it in ... just. Still have to hook everything up.
neal
Waiting with bated breath . . . .
Colin
WELL? I CAN'T SLEEP . . . . :shaking2: