Cheap #@&^^% Ignition Switches

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Cheap #@&^^% Ignition Switches

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 pm

jtauxe wrote:Has anyone tried this one? WW says it's "German"...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 1905865LGR

I just ordered 3 of these, for 3 buses with FUBAR'ed ignition switches... I hope it works.
no but please do report back on your findings.

id happily pay that for a part that actually works long term.
1979 California Transporter

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:43 am

Well, the install went well enough, though I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to that second phillips-head screw from underneath -- the one that is blocked by the plate that holds the steering column to the dash, in later 70's buses. Grr.

I now have a collection of broken switches -- 4 so far -- that have all failed in EXACTLY the same way. I call that a design flaw. So, here is the common failure mode, which I can attest to having taken one apart.

On the "top" of the switch, where the key tang inserts into the switch, there is a small hole that accepts the end of the return spring. The spring has cracked the thin wall adjacent to the hole. In all 4 switches.

However, after taking one apart, I don't think this was a fatal failure. The electrical switch was all crudded up with old oil and junk that is probably the result of people squirting oil/WD40/graphite/whatever into the key slot. But nothing inside was actually broken.

So, I need to put this one back together and do some more testing.

Maybe these all just needed a good cleaning... we'll see... stay tuned...

As for the German switch, time will tell. Wolfsburg West is out of them now, and German Supply, who sells what seems to be the same switch for over $90, says that they are limited to stock on hand. That would not be good if they are not made any more, unless of course these expensive ones fail regularly, too.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 pm

if they work out it might be worth ordering a bunch directly from VW's classic parts division: http://www.vw-classicparts.de/bestand/index_e.html

They show them in stock for $43.35 US + shipping costs.
1979 California Transporter

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I replaced mine with a Napa unit when I first got my Bus (3 years ago) and it seems to be working fine, but I don't daily drive so the switch see's minimal use.

John
I removed the plate holding the column to the dash to access the switch a little better.

Chris
Link took me to a general page and Google translate seems to suck at the German language.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car